Central Mountains Nebo

otcWill

I just found out I drew this unit for the archery hunt. If anyone would be willing to discuss thoughts, opinions, access/information I'd be very grateful. I know it's a difficult unit in terms of terrain but honestly don't know much aside from that. Thanks in advance for any input!

I will echo what Tikka said. The deeper you go the less people you will see which will in turn be better for you. If you think you went far enough go further. You better be in great shape because its up hill both ways. I grew up at the base of that mountain and hunting it. Its a tough mountain but it will reward you if you put everything into it.

Ho
I just found out I drew this unit for the archery hunt. If anyone would be willing to discuss thoughts, opinions, access/information I'd be very grateful. I know it's a difficult unit in terms of terrain but honestly don't know much aside from that. Thanks in advance for any input!
How was it

Best elk hunting I've ever seen. Passed a handful of good bulls waiting for the one and hit a great bull in the shoulder late in the hunt. Hunt was short due to having a CO sheep tag for about the same dates. Blessed to have had the chance and will never forget the hunt.

Cant complain about that with a sheep hunt great work! Contemplating what to do with the new changes for elk coming this year.

Best elk hunting I've ever seen. Passed a handful of good bulls waiting for the one and hit a great bull in the shoulder late in the hunt. Hunt was short due to having a CO sheep tag for about the same dates. Blessed to have had the chance and will never forget the hunt.
So we should hear about your sheep hunt!

...since he brought it up...I want the rest of the story on the shoulder hit bull......

Here's a pic of the caliber of bull I was passing on the Nebo. I have no regrets aside from wishing I'd shot a few inches lower on the bull I wounded. Buddy called to him while I snuck in. He ended up coming to 8 yds at the perfectly wrong angle (slightly quartered to). When he stopped he saw me immediately and blew out to 26 yds, which I guessed to be 30ish. Had to shoot straight up the leg as the rest of the vitals were covered. Shot just a few inches high at an upward angle and hit the scapula. Looked all day and into the next, but the arrow and blood trail/sign told the story much quicker than that. Incredible hunt with a handful of close calls on bulls I'd have happily taken home. Grateful to have had the chance. I'm happy to help anyone who draws the tag. Most physically difficult hunt I've ever been on, but I'd give anything to go back even to help someone else.

Nebo bull.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom