Central Mtns / Nebo Gen Deer??

S

smackdaddy

I drew as last choice and I have been thinking of returning the
tags.. Just never been and have 3 other tags.. My question is the area looks fine although some what small and also appears To have a lot of private prop.. Is area worth spending a 4 day pack hunt in for a decent(165" buck) not really any topics in form seach..
thanks
smack
Save It Bess!!!!

I've lived on the Nebo unit for 35 years ...
The deer hunting has seen BETTER days for sure!

BUT, if your a die hard, and serious about a 3-4 day pack hunt,
It's possible on either mount Nebo or Loafer......
STEEP & RUGGED SOB's though, and you will have company.

When I was younger, Both those areas produced exseptional bucks,
And still give up a handfull about every year...............

If nothing else, it's awfull pretty country, get up high,
spend a couple 2-3 days, s few 165+ bucks will be shot.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Leave your Girlfriend home this time SMACKDADDY & you might have a chance!

Don't even think about bringin your Kali approved Cigarettes to this state!

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

RIFLE....I give it a poke.
I broke my collar bone some ribs and almost a complete
collapsed lung riding a mtn bike last month so now am just healing I can still work on legs... I will try to get up their and check it out .
The area has good fishing I take it?
later
smack

Like goofy elk said, if you get out there and hunt hard you can kill a good buck. There are usually a ton of people during the rifle though and can mess up your stalks. This is the only unit I hunt except 1 season on southeastern, i've killed a deer every year, one dink, a little bit bigger dink, 21" 4pt and a 26" 4pt. That sounds like it hurts hopefully you heal up good! And yes there is some pretty good fishing. Good luck to you!

thank you very much guys...
I will figure it out soon..(I will go check it out.)
Sometimes a back pack trip with a pole and a good fishing spot is enough!
smack

Goofyelk, I am from Boise, and drew the Nebo Archery Elk tag. Aug, 17th, to Sept 13th. Early hunt for Elk, but am hopeful, that the elk will be there. Is there a lot of water in the Nebo's? I am planning a scouting trip end of July, to look around, and back pack. Is there alot of Private land in this unit? Just a few question, to help me decide how to hunt. Thanks so much.

There aren't any lakes to fish in that you need to back pack into on the Nebo unit that I am aware of. There some lakes on the Payson side that you can drive to and fish. Plenty of public land to hunt on. This unit is still struggling. DWR decreased the tags by 400 for 2013. Still too many tags though. The bear population is out of control on the unit. You will most likely see as many bear or more than you see deer. The elk are starting to make a comeback after several years of over harvest- bulls and antlerless. They reduced the LE bull tags by 25% 3 years ago and ended the extended antlerless hunt 2 years ago. It still needs time and less pressure to really come back. Good luck on your scouting--

nebo12000, I agree. The bear population is way out of control on Nebo. I've watched it increase a lot over the last 13 years. I see at least one bear on every hunt up there and tons of scat and tracks.

Is the DWR working to control the population or are they issuing more tags? I've been putting in for a bear tag for 5 years for that area and haven't drawn yet.

I hope to get the Central RAC to propose to double the bear tags on Nebo-- we will see if the DWR and Wildlife Board will make it happen.
I know of an area this spring on the Nebo that a CO was archery bear hunting and had a bait station with trail cams etc. He claims to have gotten pictures of 10 different bears. If that is true, that explains a lot of why the deer and elk population in that area is so bad. Not that they are killing the adults, but it certainly isn't good for newborn calves and fawns. It is my understanding that the adult animals would stay away from an area with such a high concentration of bears.

nebo12000 - That would great if they would double the bear tags for that unit. It sure needs it.

If you need help with the Central RAC let me know. I'd be happy to help out.

Either double the tags or make it a HO unit or both, I know one area of the unit that has a very large bear pop and the deer and elk have dropped off a ton

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-13 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]It would be good if you could come and make a presentation and proposal. I am the vice-chair of the RAC so if you could make a proposal I certainly would add my feelings concerning the bear situation. Bear recommendations will take place in the December meetings

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom