Chaining up the front

accubond

I have a 2012 Tundra and I read in the owners manual that I'm not supposed to chain the front axle. After looking I see it is probably due to the clearance between the inside of the tire and the upper suspension control arm. I have noticed that most, if not all half tons now have this configuration and warning in their owners manual. I measured my clearance at about 1" and noticed that class S chains require .59" clearance at the sides of the tires. What do you guys think about running some class S chains regardless of the manufacturer's warning?

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

I've got a set of Chains that'll Rip that Toyota Suspension off within one Revolution!

TOTAL BS the that is designed!

First time I seen that,it was on a TOYOTA,and it bothered me!

The Dealers will tell you:

You're not suppose to Chain that SOB up!

Well!

I don't buy 4X4's to drive up & down Main Street!

Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D

They are all like this now though? Ford is the same only flimsier, Dodge has it and supposedly a brake line on the back that wont allow chains there either. I wish they didn't change the design like this but I guess I'm hoping I can at least get a class S chain on the front as it will be better then nothing.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

"These vehicles are NOT being designed for you Rednecks to abuse. If you want to play in the mud, or in the snow, beyond highway conditions, buy a piece of junk and convert it to a "toy", modern vehicles are no longer going to do that"......Toyota Salesman at auto mall.

"If you NEED chains on the front end, then you should probably just turn around and go home" .........Ford Salesman at same auto mall.

"If you get upset or offended by ANY website forum
post.....especially mine, you need serious
intervention!"

We gonna abuse them!

And I don't care what the Toyota or Ford Salesman said!

Hang in there!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-13 AT 09:33PM (MST)[p]Several years ago we had a pretty extensive discussion on here about this. I have a 2002 Tacoma and I was ticked to find out chains wouldn't clear. I added 2 inch spacers, front and back, and had to drill the lug holes a touch bigger to get everything to fit. I also put a 2 inch lift kit on it. I built chains from heavy duty trucker chains and they do clear. I have had no issues with any damage, and have had to really work the truck a few times in nasty steep muddy conditions. I hate putting my truck through that kind of torture, so now I usually just drop my 4 wheeler off and use it for the really rough work. I know the truck will handle it, but in the long haul, it is cheaper to buy a new 4 wheeler than continue to put that kind of wear and tear on my truck.

Chain away and post pics later.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

> Chain away and post pics
>later.
LOL! +100
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Thanks for the sound advice 1911 and Mntman. I am asking if anybody has tried class S chains on one of the new half tons with the upper control arm. I ordered some class S diamond chains for my tire size (stock) and I will put them on in my driveway and report back on the fit.

> Chain away and post pics
>later.

I imagine AyA might have something to say about this - maybe a story or two.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Plenty of clearance in the back and no warnings in the owners manual.

You guys with them jap rigs ought to forget about using real chains and just make sure that there are plenty of hooks and places attached through to the frame to safely pull on.

With any luck, some guy only getting 14 miles to the gallon in his ready steady ol dependable Chevy or GMC will come by and pull you out until you're back on dry pavement again. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Don't get so cocky, if I drive it hard enough I can get 14 mpg too. We have been in more than one bind over the years and almost every time we have been saved by some old, beat up truck with chains, which lead me to this post.

Stop buying 1/2 ton trucks if you want to go where you can only go with mud chains.

Ford 3/4 Ton & up still have good "Solid Front Axles" (thank God) because NO pickup truck should ever come with independent front suspension!!!!!!! Unless of course it has 18"+ of travel and a roll cage, then it would be fun in the desert. :)

Go trade you're little mall crawler in on a real truck - The Ford F-350. Problem solved.

In all seriousness, it truly does pizz me off that all 1/2 ton trucks have independent front suspension that will not allow the use of mud chains.

Chevy's & GMC's all have independent front suspension that is no where near as strong as Ford's solid front axle, but hey... if you like riding on a marshmallow.....down main street..... by all means, buy a new GM.

Accubond, "Cocky", hell, even with what i thought were great tires, i got stuck in my driveway last year!

Posts like this can be informative but they can be FOS too.lol

I do like the older GMC products though and gladly will trade a couple to few miles to the gallon to have no truck payments and a rig that i feel will always get me there and back.

To those Ford guys with the bigger rigs, i don't know how you can stand the rough ride! My old pard had a mid 70's 3/4 ton that he kept up. We hunted out of it once and though the roads weren't that bad, it was the roughest, bouncing all over the place, bone jarring ride i could imagine. I finally had to take my ball cap off because that little button on top was digging a hole in my head from smashing up against the cab roof. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I hear ya on the older rigs. Every year we see guys with what I call mountain rigs and they are just bad @ss but I figure I'm not mechanically inclined enough to own an older truck, as solid as they are. I will try to post some pictures of my attempt at installing class S diamond chains and maybe us "half tonners" can find something that fits.

You're Getting Perty COCKY there sage!:D:D:D

Hang in there!

Sure wish I still have my early 80s Ford Bronco II. Chain that thing up on all 4 and it would climb trees!

Limited slip on the rear AND front axles

Manual lock in hubs.

Great grandma gear

And it got 22 mpg on the road!

Got in some tight spots with it occasionally, but never got stuck in it.

My brother borrowed it and the wiring to the battery caught fire going down the interstate. Had a fire extingisher in the back, but he was scared to get back there and get it (two door) By the time the fire dept put it out (after smashing the windshield) I sold it for $100. I cried that day.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Watched an episode of ridge reaper last week on the outdoor channel and jason was in some some nasty crusted snow and driving a tundra. The video showed him chaining up the rear and not the front and i wondered what the heck he was doing that for. well now i know cant chain the front of a tundra, this is good to know cuz i have one.

I never have put chains on the front end of my 20027 GMC half ton Sierra. Have the chains in the sack ready for use if need be. My question is this: Can I put the chains on this Z71 pickup truck safely on the front end?

cowtag,
I would start by referencing your owners manual. If you don't find anything in there just look at the upper, inside of your front tires, there is more than likely a "control arm" that comes real close to the tire, restricting any clearance for chains. On my Tundra I have about an inch but ordered some chains that require a minimum clearance of .59". I will try these on and post pictures of my clearance for fellow "half tonners" to see.

>cowtag,
>I would start by referencing your
>owners manual. If you
>don't find anything in there
>just look at the upper,
>inside of your front tires,
>there is more than likely
>a "control arm" that comes
>real close to the tire,
>restricting any clearance for chains.
> On my Tundra I
>have about an inch but
>ordered some chains that require
>a minimum clearance of .59".
> I will try these
>on and post pictures of
>my clearance for fellow "half
>tonners" to see.
>
>"If a nation expects to be
>ignorant and free... it
>expects what never has and
>never will be." -Thomas
>Jefferson

You better make sure those chains are tight!

I will. If they don't cinch up tight enough for my liking they are going back and I will have to live with only chaining the back. These are class S chains so they are a small step up from cables but still better than nothing if they'll work.

All these kick ass new rigs that can't take chains must have a lot of other features. I bet they have a ton of auxillary power outlets for computers and stuff. Some of them even TV screens and DVD players. You guys with rigs that can't be chained can watch movies and log on to MM to see what guys that can get to the good spots are killing. Cold day on the mountain when I can't chain my rig. mtmuley

One of the reasons I went with the Tundra was its simplicity and lack of bells and whistles (on my particular truck). I hunt with a group and my turn to drive is every third year. This is a design used by all half tons now and I have absolutely no need for a 3/4 ton pickup. Buying an old bomb and using it to pull a trailer half way across the country just so I can have my front end chained up seems foolish. This "guy" is still very happy with his purchase and would do it again tomorrow.

If I lived out west I would most definitely have an older pickup for a hunting rig, it just doesn't make sense for my situation. Worse case scenario I only get to chain up the rear.

I ripped a brake line off one time with a chain that came loose. It was about 40 miles to town on pavement and the drive with virtually no brakes was 'interesting' to say the least.

I have a 2006 Tundra with front lvl kit. I have used chains on front twice. I made sure they would clear and have had no problems. I made sure i was not driving like an ass. MY buddy has a 2007 Tacoma had have had to chain his up also. No problem on the Tacoma either.

Received the class S chains and put them on in the driveway. Minimum clearance to run these chains is .59" and after they were installed I still had .75" of clearance. These particular chains have a self-tensioning system built in and they fit very snug. Although not as good as a standard size chain I feel these are a great compromise for the new half tons and will definitely be better than nothing. Here is a link for anybody interested.

http://www.tirechain.com/DIAMONDSTYLECARCHAINS.htm

I thought about spacers myself. Did you have to ground down the factory lugs?

I would run them if I were you. Keep in mind that they will slap around the faster you (You know that though). You need to get some amazing straps and strap the shiz out of your tires and you won't have any problem at all with a clearance issue.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom