chains and damage

B

bucklover

I use to own a 1987 Toyota 4-Runner and always chained up all four tires. I now own a 2002 Tacoma. I was ticked when I discovered that chains would not fit on the front. They would hit the tie rod or whatever it is. I ended up solving the problem by putting spacers between the wheel and the drum. I have done some pretty heavy duty four wheeling in mud and snow with chains on this way and it has worked fine. However I keep being told that this will cause major damage. Does anyone know: is the damage they are refering to caused by what would have happened if the chains didn't clear, or is there potential other damage that will/can occur if chains are used? And why I'm at it, Why in the hell are they designing 4-wheel drive trucks that can't accomodate chains? Thank you

Most 1/2 ton trucks say "no chains" on the front, but they are usually worried about overloading the front axle.

My 2010 F-150 says "no chains" for that reason, but the dealer said to just put them on and go slow so you don't go from a slipping front wheel to full traction too fast and damage the CV Joint.

That sucks if they physically don't fit on Toyotas.

Grizzly

"Buy some mud tires drop your air pressure and hit the gas; no need for chains."

You have obviously never hunted in a place where you REALLY need chains to go down the main roads, let alone the two tracks.

My Chevy Duramax says the same thing in the owners manual. Just put the chains on the front tires and continue on your way.

These trucks are not really designed to 4 wheel. They are designed for the highway/street use. It makes me laugh.

Wish they would just make new ones from the old designs of many different types of equiptment. Progress is not always good.

>"Buy some mud tires drop your
>air pressure and hit the
>gas; no need for chains."
>
>
>You have obviously never hunted in
>a place where you REALLY
>need chains to go down
>the main roads, let alone
>the two tracks.

+1 Had the chains on twice this year to get unstuck!!! I would still be there out of gas and flat tires!!

Thanks for the responses. Amongst all of us here, there are "usually" some pretty good answers. Going without chains is not an option. I figured the warnings were more to protect the manufacturers. I always figured if you had chains on and just took it easy, it was a lot less stress on a vehicle than if you went with chains, having to go full out balls, foot to the floor, trying to stay out of trouble. I have built my chains from trucker chains I have picked up along the freeway. They are very heavy duty and there is no question about getting traction.

Check out the "Grip 4x4" chains. They might work for you.

I'll be the first to say that "I HATE" chaining up, but nothing compares to having all 4 chained up. It's amazing how much difference it makes.

Everybody that hunts late season in the mountains should have chains and know how to use them. They're very cheap insurance and have gotten me out of some pretty scary spots.

I've even had to chain up an atv a time or two :-0

ive never been one to just chain one end or the other, its always been all the way around...always had a fear of a transfer case going t.u. or something else binding only doing one set....am i wrong, or is it just a risk.

My 2008 2500 GMC says the same thing i build my own chains out of old big truck chains and i have had it chained up in the front numerous times if it gets gnarly enough to chain up all four i consider turning aroud you get stuck when your allready chained up all around then that usally spells big trouble depends on the terrain if you cant chain up and go where most folks wont or dont dare whats the use of having a truck four tire chains in my box year round never take them out

have had many vehicles that say don not chain up the front end so i have always chained the rear and have had very good results as long as the chains are tight.

Guess none of you have ever been with my hunting buddy, even chained up he looks for the worst place almost always seems to do his best to get stuck. Now I tell him just let me out and see you later back at camp or where ever we are staying, so he stops and turns around.
Nothing like trying to get a F350 out of a creek bed with the front end and a 7.3 Diesel as weight in the water after breaking the ice and lodged there in the darkness of night and miles from no where in MT in the middle of NOV during a northern Freeze. Lucky for us we heard a jeep or quad coming down the road and went to give them a signal with flashlight to get their attention.
They went and got a new Ford Excursion and came back and after a few attempts we were able to get that heavy beast out of the creek. Fellow CALI boys too that helped.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe if it was a dodge you wouldnt have got into the prediciment in the first place. Just joking i have had to use my winch a few times while chained up in November.

Are regular chains the best to use? i have seen some that have prongs on them that look like meat shredders basically. what it the advantage of theses?

I compromised a bit with my Tundra. Of course, it also says "no chains on the front". First 1.5" spacers, then I ordered Class "S" chains. They have smaller higher tinsel strength links which don't have the bite that regular chains have, but perform OK.

Anytime that I chain up, "slow" is the go. If you ever break a front chain, your "A" "S" factor just went sky high.

Before you die.....Take time to live

I think the "no chains on front" is just a way for the company not to be liable for any breakage if you were to do so. The components in a indepentent front suspension don't seem to be as strong as a solid front axle.

Another thing to look out for is turning radius. Its really easy to get into the fender wells, frame, and stearing components with chains on when turning. And if you have any bigger tires than stock you really have to pay attention.

We've run heavy chains (semi chains) on newer chevys with IFS with no problems, but you have to pay attention to whats going on or stuff can go bad quickly. My dad is king of chaining up all 4 and givin her a go. I've seen an underpowered truck with 300k on the motor go some crazy places.

I would be more worried about causing damage "using spacers to get the wheel out farther" than I would using chains....

theres nothin like chaining up and going where you really shouldnt. jk chains are a lifesaver and its upsettin that newer trucks are not designed to work with them

I was inclined to agree with you. But I had no choice, unless I just got a different truck. When I stuck my hand over the top of the tire, the inside of my fingers were touching the tire and the outside of my fingers were touching the tie rod. Absolutely no room for chains to pass through. They are inch and one-half spacers and so far.. no problems. When I decide to go into real nasty spots I usually drop my 4 wheeler and use it. Much easier to get to where I want and much less worry. No, I'm not one of those that go anywhere. Only go where its legal.

Im not sure why you are having problems. Maybe you need a set of chains that fit better. I have a 99 Tacoma and have chained it up on front plenty of times and have had no problems. My brother has a 98 and chains up dozens a times a year on the front also with no problems. The 95-2004 tacomas are essentially identical with the exception of different grilles and hoods, and interiors. Perhaps a coil spring spacer would help?

It's not any of that. I've put on 3 inch lifts and everything. It's just the way that particular model was designed. It does have 16 inch rims. Believe me, I researched every possible solution and ended up doing the only possible fix. It's working fine now. Only problem now is I need wheel well flares because it throws mud like an old manor spreader.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom