Chamfering and Deburring

After shooting some reloaded Remington brass through my 300 win mag, I am having issues getting a nice smooth edge at the case mouth after using the RCBS hand held chamfer and deburr tool.

Shot once, I tumbled the brass in Cobb media, resized, then used the deburr and chamfer tool. The edge is still rough and slightly shaves the bullet when being seated. Am I not putting enough pressure or too much? Any help would be appreciated.

Did u use a case length trimmer after u sized? Mine all come out perfectly smooth after the case length trim. Then deburr tool to round off inside rim allowing bullet to seat easier.

try spinning the case mouth on some 0000 steel wool, that will smooth up and soften any sharp edges basically a polishing of that chamfer.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11 AT 03:31PM (MST)[p]I have had the same issue. I assume your using a drill to hold and spin the case? You almost have to just mess around with it till you get the hang of it. I start spinning the case with light pressure to start out and then use moderate pressure for just a second and then let off as the case is still spinning. You can tell if you mess up. It will have lines in it instead of just a smooth surface.
a20792b12a43280588e9ae_s.JPG

I just bought a RCBS manual trimmer. It should be here next week.

Also, I just used the Hornady OAL guage to check the COAL. The Speer reloading manual says the max for a 300 Win Mag is 3.34" but touching the lands on my Sendero, puts the COAL at almost 3.44". Is that normal for a rifle to be that far off the max? The Nosler Accubonds reccomend seating the bullet .01 to .03 off the lands which still puts it over the max.

Are you sure the Speer manual states 3.34 is a "MAX" for the 300 Win. Mag, or is it a reccommended lenght as a overall guide. Your paticular rifle and bullet will be the judge of the COAL for best reliability and accuracy.

RELH

I double checked. It does state "maximum COAL". I loaded a dummy round at the 3.44 length and it seems to cycle fine with no added strain on the bolt when loading. I think it is worth a try with a medium charge.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom