Changes to CO PP system

MNHunter

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-09 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]Looks like the tinkering continues with states' PP systems. This sucks for those you at or close to max points. Good for those of us over 5 though.
---------------------------------------
Important Changes to Colorado Big Game Structure
September 14, 2009.

Last Thursday, the Colorado Wildlife Commission adopted the season structure for the 2010-2014 hunting seasons. A few notable changes are included in this five-year plan, especially for hunters who have been building preference points in Colorado.

In general, the standard structure for Colorado's deer and elk seasons is not changing.

But, there will be some changes made to the Colorado preference point system. Under Colorado's system, the applicants with the most preference points always draw ahead of other applicants. So if you haven't been building preference points for a decade or two, there are certain tags in Colorado that you'll never draw because there are so many guys in line ahead of you with 10+ preference points.

Starting next year, every hunter with 5 or more preference points can enter into an auxiliary random draw, where 20% of licenses will be set aside in any unit requiring 10 or more points to draw. This includes deer, elk, pronghorn and bear units statewide.

If you're eligible, you can apply in the random draw for your first choice, and still earn a preference point if you don't draw.

Except large numbers of hunters with 5+ preference points to start taking a chance in the random draw for premier units during 2010.

Also of note is a cap that has been placed on elk licenses in the Gunnison basin, well-known for its deer hunting. This is great news for deer hunters, who currently have to compete with huge numbers of elk hunters.

For more details, see coverage in the Grand Junction Sentinel.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

So if you have more than 5 points you can put in for a random draw for 20% of the tags on units requiring more than 10 points to draw. Judas! Could they make this crap any more complicated?

Dax

Complicated, yes. However, I think the bigger issue is that those people who have followed the rules and waited patiently now have the proverbial rug swept out from under them. Think it was hard to draw a tag before as a high point holder, now they have 20% less tags to try for.

Bottom line is that points systems are subject to change. While I generally favor points systems, they will be tinkered with. I've said it before that I believe eventually PP systems like WY and CO will someday simply be converted to bonus point systems.

- Abraham Lincoln

I am sorry but if you have been building points for 20 years and have not used them yet, it is your own fault! I think this is a good thing for guys like me:) 4th season tags will still be harder than hell to draw because that is what everyone will put in for. Look at it like a raffle ticket. Over five pints you have a slim chance. Those with the most points will still get their tags, I don't see the big deal.

I think I like the change as best I can understand it. Now I at least have a slim chance at a premium Colorado elk/deer tag, whereas before I had no chance at all. And the guys who have spend a long time building up point still get 80% of the tags coming there way. Seems reasonable to me.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

I'm not sure if I understand the whole thing yet. Right now I am a non res with 7 deer points. If some people with over 5 points drop out of the reg draw and go into the random draw do you think it might be easier to draw a tag that takes between 5 and 10 points?

Craig, the way I understand it the "new" draw is in addition to the regular draw.

- Abraham Lincoln

Something to keep in mind for non res (and res I guess).

If a unit takes 5 or more pp to draw ? non res are allocated 20% of those tags. If the unit takes 10 plus PP to draw - non res will get 20% of that 20% allocation in the random draw.

The tough to draw units have very few tags (that is why they are tough to draw). So ? there will be very few tags available for non res (and res) in the random draw. I don't feel like researching it ? but, I am sure there will be hunts with no non-res tags in the random draw.

The same thing happens with AZ deer hunts north of the ditch.

Here is another change-

?Recognizing that current tools to prevent point creep are ineffective, points will be purged if not used during a 10-year period of inactivity?

I don't see this one having much of an impact.

I guess I take back my statement.... I'm not sure how this will work. I guess we will see.

- Abraham Lincoln

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdon...3E4842E7E/0/BigGamePreferencePointArticle.pdf

This is a pretty good article on PP's and tag allocations.

Not a lot of details on the new system (yet) - so I could be completely wrong.

That being said - this is how I am reading it. If a hunt code requires 10 or more non resident PP's then that hunt code will need 25 or more tags to have a random draw tag.

25 total tags x's 20% = 5 total non res tags x's 20% again for random draw = 1 non resident tag in the random draw.

Just quickly glancing at the hunt codes that require 10 or more points - a bunch have fewer than 25 total tags.

I am a big fan of the 'at least I have a chance' concept - but maybe not a real big change for non res.

But - it will be a big change for the couple of guys every year that beat the odds.

>Here is another change-
>
>?Recognizing that current tools to prevent
>point creep are ineffective, points
>will be purged if not
>used during a 10-year period
>of inactivity?
>
>I don't see this one having
>much of an impact.

I thought they already purged your points if you did not apply or buy an over the counter tag for a THREE year period.?

Mark
muledeer.jpg

It sounds to me like 10 points will be the maximum you will be allowed to accumulate. If you don't use them you will lose them and start again with zero.

That Denver Post article sure doesn't do much to reduce the confustion. Is the first list in the article (archery by draw only, etc.) just talking about regulations in the Gunnison Basin?

Mark
muledeer.jpg

Yeah - the denver post is basically useless and sometimes worse than useless.

I think they were talking specifically about Gunnison units.

Here is a nugget I found in the Crusty Butt news. Pretty big change. Still looking for the official release..

"A couple of the major changes that were made to the season structure were limiting the number of archery tags available for the first time, and requiring muzzle-loading hunters to specify which GMU they will be hunting in, instead of issuing the statewide tag previously available."

I think they mean you have to get some sort of elk tag (OTC, 2nd choice, etc) in a ten year period to keep points, no max implied.

And really, 20% (nonresident quota for 5+ point resident hunts) of 20% might not even leave one tag for the NW units:)....

But, the post really isn't clear.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom