Changing My Tune on Western Wyoming Mule Deer

Founder

Founder Since 1999
I’m sure many of you read my post from July 13th stating that I didn’t think things were as bad as the collar data portrayed, with 100% fawn mortality and 60% buck mortality.
I’ve seen a decent number of yearling bucks, so clearly they haven’t all died. And many others are reporting seeing yearlings.

HOWEVER, my opinion on buck numbers has changed. After my first couple scouting trips, I was thinking buck numbers were off by only about 25%, but now after 12 days scouting, I’m thinking 50%.
I’ve looked at 98 bucks in 12 days scouting, for about 8 bucks per day. Last year over 23 days of scouting I was at 16 bucks per day.
My most recent scouting trip was in much of the same area I scouted last year. Last year I looked at 49 bucks in the area, this year was 18. It was very discouraging.

I just wanted to share my updated opinion after more time in the high country. You won’t hear me tossing the tag in the garbage, because it was very expensive. So we’ll for sure be hunting, but expectations are low right now. I’ve actually shared very little video and few photos because there just hasn’t been much worthy of even attaching my Phone Skope for.

Think the larger bucks died on the winter range, or maybe summered elsewhere doe to the late snow melt?

Think the larger bucks died on the winter range, or maybe summered elsewhere doe to the late snow melt?
There was no late snow melt. That was about the same as most years.

The ratio of bucks of different sizes is about the same as last year. Most are still the 18-24” 4-points, then a chunk of yearlings, a few that are a touch better than the average 18-24”, and then a top 1% or so that’s in the 180 ballpark.
I looked at 377 bucks last year and only a handful were 180ish or better.

The issue is just that there are far fewer bucks overall.

One thing I’ve been pondering is that with there being fewer bucks, that the fewer bucks are less active overall. I believe when bucks are in groups of 3-4+, they’re much more active and easier to locate. With fewer bucks, there may be more loner bucks out there or maybe just a couple bucks together. Less eyes and ears might have them slightly less active and therefore less likely to see. Not sure.

Another related possibility I’ve been thinking about is with the relatively wetter and cooler spring/summer, the deer may be scattered out across the landscape at all elevations more than usual, rather than concentrated in certain parts of the mountain during the drier/hotter years. There seems to be plenty of food and water sources in the places I’ve looked...

My scouting this weekend didn't yield much. 10 bucks and most young sub 24 inch. No bachelor groups like in past years just singles. Still looking somewhat skinny even with all of the food. I think most of the older rutted out worn out bucks are still out in the sage brush as a pile of bones.

I got one for ya. Can even set up behind the tomato plants

Screenshot_20230820_203329_Snapchat.jpg

Sorry but there is no place the bucks have gone. The numbers are down across the spectrum of habitat.

The truth is the desert and lower country deer were hit as hard if not harder than normal. I have spent a tremendous amount of time in the desert and it is far worse than 07/08. Region W is horrible and it is a crime they still put out as many deer tags.

I spent multiple days in Northern Nevada northern Utah and Western Wyoming and like Brian I have not even pulled out the phone scope.

Wasn’t the Wyoming shed opener pushed til the 15th because there was still lots of snow May 1?
I don’t know how much snow was there on May 1st, but I expected much more snowpack in the mountains. It was like every year. I had to cook with nasty snow three weeks ago and had to pack water two weeks ago.
Back in 2011 I was rolling in a huge snow bank on September 3rd. Expected something like that this year. Nope.

That’s what I said from my observations from scouting Region G during June. Was hoping for the best or that I missed them but seems like you drew the same conclusion. They’ll rebound in a few years.

PA whitetail were down to slim Pickens in early 1900s. Now they are rampant everywhere.

Same with Colorado. Slim numbers in early 1900s, then heyday in 1980s then late 2000s the die off started.

Mother Nature will rebound. They will evolve and survive (I hope)

If thousands of bucks died from winter kill (sounds like mostly the trophy class bucks) where are they?

Majority of them shed before they died. All but 1 of the dead bucks I have found were shed bucks which he was hurt during the rut and im assuming died just after the 1st big storm.

I usually have 15-20 different bucks that come into a camera I have out. This year I have 4. 2 little 4 points, a small 3x3 and a 2x3. At this point I'm not going to spend anymore time looking for deer and am going to hunt elk hard and if I see a big buck I'll go after it or have a idea of where to go on the rifle hunt but from what I've seen I dont have high hopes on shooting a deer this year.

There was no late snow melt. That was about the same as most years.

I have to disagree on the no late snow melt. I was shed hunting in snow this year even with the season pushed back. Also the ridge here in Kemmerer had snow until either the end of May or just into June. Which last year I was walking it in March getting ready for the goat hunt. 1st picture is of the ridge April 25th 2023. 2nd picture is from up on the ridge April 26th 2022.
20230420_081814.jpg

Screenshot_20230822_133446_Gallery.jpg

I have to disagree on the no late snow melt. I was shed hunting in snow this year even with the season pushed back. Also the ridge here in Kemmerer had snow until either the end of May or just into June. Which last year I was walking it in March getting ready for the goat hunt. 1st picture is of the ridge April 25th 2023. 2nd picture is from up on the ridge April 26th 2022.
View attachment 118257

View attachment 118258
We hunted just west of Wyoming and there were places that the snow was up to our waist, probably only saw 4 other people that were out that way

View attachment 118257

View attachment 118258
The original question was about bucks summering somewhere else because of snowpack. The snowpack in the high country was much the same as it typically is. No doubt there were deep snow banks/drifts on the winter range that took longer than typical to melt off, but that wasn’t the case in the high country from what I saw.
I don’t believe bucks summered in different places because of snow.

I'm not 100% sure on the deer changing summer grounds but there is definitely elk in places that I've never seen them before and they don't seem like they are going to leave. Been kind of cool to see though I left a camera there all winter and they showed up after the 1st storm and as of 2 days ago still haven't left haha

There are less deer, lopes, and elk than last year due to a long deep snow winter. I still have seen decent numbers of fawns, calf elk and calf moose on cameras in Northern Utah. Numbers are down while out scouting for sure. I think the remaining animals are spread out with all the water and good feed. Discouraging to see so few numbers. It will take several years and decent weather, predator control, to get back.

Yep, 50% winter kill. Antler growth on anything seemingly mature buck looks to be stunted some also. I made my 8th trip in last weekend and looked at 40 bucks in two days. Many were repeats from previous trips but the point I’m trying to make here is that the top end bucks out of those 40 head were mid-upper 70’s type bucks. I counted 4 In that threshold. A 180 buck will be considered upper end this year. I know of a few better but not like in years past. It’s definitely hard to get up early for a 5+ mile trudge to look at a couple 2 footers but what else would a guy do? Go to work?! Nah ?

Just accept the fact that winter was hard. Everyone had the chance to not apply and knew the consequences. Just hope you guys are ready to accept game and fish wont do a damn thing to fix anything.

Just accept the fact that winter was hard. Everyone had the chance to not apply and knew the consequences. Just hope you guys are ready to accept game and fish wont do a damn thing to fix anything.
I always hear this…. What can Game and fish Do?

I always hear this…. What can Game and fish Do?

Manage better. been stated here for a long time and thats quit shooting muley does. Hopefully the idea of culling bucks in some areas has left their minds.

Every area has a different eco-system. i know for me if I was in charge i would cut doe tags, wipe out some kitty cats. i believe cats and road kill for where i hunt is the biggest factor of loosing mule deer. But according to the game and fish CWD is the biggest threat and we are going to loose 40 percent of the herd since it just recently hit a new area but the fact is they lost more than 40 percent of the herd before CWD.

I've heard the term "inverted snowpack" used to describe last winter's weather. That is: The mountains usually get the most snow, and the plains; foothills (i.e. winter range) usually get much less. Last winter was just the opposite. More snow down low than up high. That's the reason the snow up high was no worse than last year at the same time.

I've heard the term "inverted snowpack" used to describe last winter's weather. That is: The mountains usually get the most snow, and the plains; foothills (i.e. winter range) usually get much less. Last winter was just the opposite. More snow down low than up high. That's the reason the snow up high was no worse than last year at the same time.

I wondered about that also. Seems like that might deflect following green up some, and displace deer, especially those worn out by winter already?

Winter was rough. Can't change that. I think next year tells the story more than this year. Hard winter= drastic measures. Avg or weak, there's a rebound.?

I was up over the weekend , dosnt look like many wanted to let a deer walk , tons of people out there trying , and yes deer herd is disheartening!! Pretty sad but still nice to be in the hills !! Spent most of weekend helping the kid get a bull and packing out but still not much for deer sighting , have seen a few good ones taken !!

I just spent 5 days hunting it. I also scouted a whole new area covered lots of what used to be premium areas. Saw 7 bucks scouting nothing big. Saw 18 bucks while hunting and I mean hunting hard with two of us really good spotters. Going up in far nasty areas where few others can or will go. 5 bucks in the 24-26 in range. Everything else was smaller younger. Maybe one was 5 years old the rest 4 or less. Only saw a few does. Pretty sad. That area is going to take a long time to recover since the does seem to be wiped out. Nothing worth shooting and backpacking out 9 miles. I agree it needs to be shut down for the most part to start to recover that is just reality.

Heartbreaking is the only way I can describe what has happened to the Deer in Western Wyoming. I have argued with many about what was coming. Now here we are. I can't believe the number of Hunters that are still out for blood. We will never recover from this. Some of you think we recovered from 2016-17 We didn't. We also never recovered from the winter and over hunting in the early 90's. It's a sad deal. The worst thing about it, It could have been prevented. I tried to do my part. I think it's worth mentioning that most of the people who stepped up to feed the Deer last winter in Star Valley were NON HUNTERS. Ponder that all you mighty Sportsman.

Heartbreaking is the only way I can describe what has happened to the Deer in Western Wyoming. I have argued with many about what was coming. Now here we are. I can't believe the number of Hunters that are still out for blood. We will never recover from this. Some of you think we recovered from 2016-17 We didn't. We also never recovered from the winter and over hunting in the early 90's. It's a sad deal. The worst thing about it, It could have been prevented. I tried to do my part. I think it's worth mentioning that most of the people who stepped up to feed the Deer last winter in Star Valley were NON HUNTERS. Ponder that all you mighty Sportsman.
Well sounds like you're non hunter yourself. How much money have you donated to conservation?

I have been in H since last Wednesday with a very good outfitter. We have rode horses 2-3 hrs every morning and hiked into some very isolated pockets and glassed for days. This outfitter’s family has operated in this basin since the early 1900s and he knows it like the back of his hand. Our count so far: ~35 doe, 4 very small bucks. No mature bucks at all. Lots of elk and lots of hunters scattered around, mostly residents that we talked to.
Came up here with no expectations to shoot a buck, just wanted to see the country for the most part. Drove up from Texas. Saw maybe 200 antelope from Cheyenne to Rock Springs. Zero from Rock Springs to Jackson.
Pretty sad situation for wildlife here after the bad winter. Will take years to recover if it does.

I just spent 4 days hunting. We had a taker buck for my hunting buddy found. Opening morning, he got excited and shot a nice 4x4. 25 incher, maybe 160. The other one was bigger. Oh well.

There’s definitely not many bucks around compared to the past, but still more bucks than most other places. Seeing only 4 bucks in 4-5 days is pretty rough.

It’s disappointing to see buck numbers cut in half or worse. Hopefully things can rebound, but in most places, after a super hard winter, the mule deer herds have never rebounded to what they were. At least I don’t know of any places that have. We’ll see.

It was sure fantastic weather though!! And no smoke. Clear blue sky’s, probably the worst weather for hunting big bucks, but great for camping.

I have to pose another theory...

We know animals adapt to predators, right.? I think Founder has just hunted that region too much. They've learned where he camps and glasses... all the big boys are avoiding him specifically and taking younger bucks with them. ??
You may be onto something there. I can see all the big guys under the shade of a rock. One buck says to another, "Hey, there comes Founder's truck...He camps over there so let's circle around." :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

In three days we saw two small bucks, five does and two fawns. Some Utad hunter shot the bigger one the next morning, a 18" four point. It was as bad as a poor Utah hunt. Pathetic. It will take many years, if ever to repopulate the area we hunted. We were in good country where we would normally see dozens of bucks and a few good ones,
We switched over to elk hunting the third day and my son missed another good six point bull. That is another advantage Wyoming residents have.
At the checking station in Alpine they said they have only checked out 4 bucks. All small four points.
This 75 reduction business is just dreaming. I would say more like 90% to 95% reduction in the deer herd.

Time to shut it down for 3-5 years the trophy quality won't recover because apparently there is an unending amount of non residents that are happy shooting every 3 year old with any amount of potential just so they don't go home empty handed
Just the non residents? LMAO ??? there are 5-1 residents where I’m at shooting anything with antlers. Cut all the non res tags and you’ll still have the same problems.

Just the non residents? LMAO ??? there are 5-1 residents where I’m at shooting anything with antlers. Cut all the non res tags and you’ll still have the same problems.
Yea I'm sure you went and asked them where they are from, from across the basin ?

Hmmm ? let’s see. 400 non residents vs 6,000 residents that hunt it. I’d love to see mandatory harvest data. But that would probably lead to resident quota
Mostly the same residents hunting it every year that's why most don't shoot dinks

I'm a non-resident. We've hunted the same area since 1996. I was in my early twenties when we started hunting Wyoming. We drew a tag, picked a spot on a map, went in blind and stuck with the same area... I love it!! I feel like I know the area pretty good. Have seen the ups and downs for sure. We have cursed our bad luck, and celebrated when things went our way, but have always enjoyed the country, and had a blast up on the mountain! We used to be able to draw a tag every year it seemed like for 10 or 12 years. The last 10 years I think I've had 3 tags. Including the family members that I hunt with, We've probably had close to a hundred tags over 26 years, and Killed maybe 20 deer, including some dandys! Didn't draw a tag this year, but we took the ponies up in late August to check things out. The place looked amazing... just lush and green! We saw ten head, and a wolf. No mature bucks. Echoing others thoughts, I don't know if it will ever be the same.

Heartbreaking reading all these reports coming in. I'm not as intimate with hunting Western WY as most folks are on here but was blessed to draw H last year. So lucky I was able to go and experience the High Country prior to this HORRIBLE winter of 2022! Sounds like it will take years to recover. Praying for mild winters to come!

Absolutely not true. Because they can hunt it every year, they're more likely to be meat hunters than trophy hunters.
That is absolute BS. Since we can hunt every year it is much easier for us to pass on subpar animals. There is not pressure to fill our "Once In A lifetime" Tag when it is something we get every year. Oh and don't forget that if we residents really want meat we can always take our general tag and go get a white tail. So your basically full of crap.

Sorry, but you're the one that's wrong. Let's take my experience this past week. I talked to three other non-residents and all three (plus me) had seen a few small bucks, but passed them up because they were holding out for something worthy of a 10 point tag. Every one of us were planning to eat our tag. And, I did. I have a nephew and friend (not the same as I just mentioned) that also had tags and they ate theirs as well. So, six out of six non-residents with no intention of shooting a small buck.

On the other hand, I talked to two resident hunters who marched up to the glassing knob I was on on opening morning and plopped down right next to me. To their credit, they were aware of their breach of etiquette, apologized for their rude behavior, and were quick to assure me that if a big buck stepped out, they would let me have first crack at it. They only had one day to hunt and were planning to shoot the first buck they saw, regardless of size, and were happy to shoot a small one.

As residents, they look at this as a cheap, OTC opportunity to harvest an animal and put some meat in the freezer. For every one resident hunter like you, there are ten of the other type. And, you residents of both types outnumber non-residents by a factor of ten. There's no question who's putting the hurt on.

Last edited:
Sorry, but you're the one that's wrong. Let's take my experience this past week. I talked to three other non-residents and all three (plus me) had seen a few small bucks, but passed them up because they were holding out for something worthy of a 10 point tag. Every one of us were planning to eat our tag. And, I did. I have a nephew and friend (not the same as I just mentioned) that also had tags and they ate theirs as well. So, six out of six non-residents with no intention of shooting a small buck.

On the other hand, I talked to two resident hunters who marched up to the glassing knob I was on on opening morning and plopped down right next to me. To their credit, they were aware of their breach of etiquette, apologized for their rude behavior, and were quick to assure me that if a big buck stepped out, they would let me have first crack at it. They only had one day to hunt and were planning to shoot the first buck they saw, regardless of size, and were happy to shoot a small one.

As residents, they look at this as a cheap, OTC opportunity to harvest an animal and put some meat in the freezer. For every one resident hunter like you, there are ten of the other type. And, you residents of both types outnumber non-residents by a factor of ten. There's no question who's putting the hurt on.
I have seen the same with some residents on the Kiabab a few years ago. Their attitude was their family had been hunting there for generations. One even said “if it hops it drops”. These people hunt some areas (hunts with high success rates) as a family vacation for meat. Why not hunt an area with more deer to help one’s success. Might not be mine or yours attitude, but each their own as long as it’s legal. There was a time I use to take my dad out of state with me before he got cancer. He would always shoot the first legal buck he saw. This usually only took me a day or two to help him fill his tag. Best part of that is once he was done I had a great camp chief, camp hoist, spend time with him, and I could take off and chaise antlers.

This is not a resident or non-resident issue, heck, it is not even much of a buck issue. This is all about doe survival, whatever can be done should be tried to keep as many doe on the landscape as possible to help the herd rebound. Sure, you need enough bucks to make sure they are all bred but not too many that they outcompete does for resources. I don't see either being an issue but perhaps one or the other is.

Take my word for it, when deer numbers drop and big racks are hard to find, people's expectations drop. Sure, there are trophy hunters who would rather not shoot one if it's not big, and they have no problem eating the tag. A lot of them are on MM but they no way represent the vast majority. Resident or nonresident.

Almost everybody says their trophy hunting...for the first two days.

Haha. It’s ok because soon we will go 90/10 and further reduce NR general tags. I however am calling Bs on your assumption. The funny part you miss is the 2 imaginary hunters you mentioned only had 1 day to hunt. I don’t know if any resident who has 1 day to hunt. Hell with our general tags we can start hunting early September and we can stretch our tags into November. So no way anyone told you they had 1 day, lol…

I've hunted G almost every year. I've never shot a buck in G. I killed one in H back in 2009 when I was guiding in there after the clients were done. G is a place I go to kill a once in a lifetime deer. I know most residents that i talk to feel the same way. There are far easier places to kill decent bucks without having to pack them out 5 miles. This year I'll more then likely shoot a whitetail or nothing with my general tag.

That is absolute BS. Since we can hunt every year it is much easier for us to pass on subpar animals. There is not pressure to fill our "Once In A lifetime" Tag when it is something we get every year. Oh and don't forget that if we residents really want meat we can always take our general tag and go get a white tail. So your basically full of crap.
Or a cow elk!!

Haha. It’s ok because soon we will go 90/10 and further reduce NR general tags. I however am calling Bs on your assumption. The funny part you miss is the 2 imaginary hunters you mentioned only had 1 day to hunt. I don’t know if any resident who has 1 day to hunt. Hell with our general tags we can start hunting early September and we can stretch our tags into November. So no way anyone told you they had 1 day, lol…
Non resident tags in Region G have been less than 10% for some years….historical data posted by WY G&F note 5000+ residents and 400 non residents (less for 2023 with tag reduction).

elks96 you are certainly the dumbest guy on MM by far! You just called a guy a liar as if you were standing on the mountain with him. You act like only Wyoming has Non-resident hunters. How do you think MT, ID, and CO, feel when they see Washington, California, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming plates ect all over the place??? Non-resident hunting is just part of every state. You act like the Residents in Wyoming with your OTC tags don't kill anything and pass on every 20 inch 4x4!!!

Give it a rest no one cares about your 90/10 that you think will fix everything! Now go kill your 15 Mule Deer does and fawns and claim it might be your last hunt with family so you had to do it ?

I won't lie I've had more issues with wyoming residents than non residents... I do think in past years that residents were more likely to shoot a lesser buck than non. I myself don't blame non residents for wanting to take something home though after they pay out of state fees. I know in utah I'll be a trophy hunter for the 1st few days of a general hunt then at the end I'll shoot anything decent. As for wyoming this year I will be ok with eating my tag if I dont find a big deer to hunt, but people getting mad at others for shooting a deer is bs. There isn't a rule in the regulations that says you can only shoot 180+ deer. If you're that mad you should be mad at the f&g for even having a hunt this year. Which I 100% supported shutting the whole deer hunt down.

I won't lie I've had more issues with wyoming residents than non residents... I do think in past years that residents were more likely to shoot a lesser buck than non. I myself don't blame non residents for wanting to take something home though after they pay out of state fees. I know in utah I'll be a trophy hunter for the 1st few days of a general hunt then at the end I'll shoot anything decent. As for wyoming this year I will be ok with eating my tag if I dont find a big deer to hunt, but people getting mad at others for shooting a deer is bs. There isn't a rule in the regulations that says you can only shoot 180+ deer. If you're that mad you should be mad at the f&g for even having a hunt this year. Which I 100% supported shutting the whole deer hunt down.
Just to clear things up I'm not mad at anyone for shooting anything lol. Just from what I saw over there this year if people can't practice decent management is going to be a long lomg road to recovery to get anywhere near the amount of mature bucks we had before this last winter.

elks96 you are certainly the dumbest guy on MM by far! You just called a guy a liar as if you were standing on the mountain with him. You act like only Wyoming has Non-resident hunters. How do you think MT, ID, and CO, feel when they see Washington, California, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming plates ect all over the place??? Non-resident hunting is just part of every state. You act like the Residents in Wyoming with your OTC tags don't kill anything and pass on every 20 inch 4x4!!!

Give it a rest no one cares about your 90/10 that you think will fix everything! Now go kill your 15 Mule Deer does and fawns and claim it might be your last hunt with family so you had to do it ?
Show me one resident hunter in WY who has ever had 1 day to hunt deer. And they chose that one day to pack into G and sit down next to a guy.

Then they tell the guy it’s ok you can shoot a big one because we are shooting the first one we see? You really think anyone is going to pass a 200” buck because they were meat hunting?

Sorry but the entire line is BS… Not to mention I am pretty certain all units currently have point restrictions, so they were at least holding out for a 3 point of better…

Last edited:
Show me one resident hunter in WY who has ever had 1 day to hunt deer. And they chose that one day to pack into G and sit down next to a guy.

Then they tell the guy it’s ok you can shoot a big one because we are shooting the first one we see? You really think anyone is going to pass a 200” buck because they were meat hunting?

Sorry but the entire line is BS… Not to mention I am pretty certain all units currently have point restrictions, so they were at least holding out for a 3 point of better…

My goodness you really are dumber then I thought! Who mentioned a 200 inch deer other then you? You really are embarrassing yourself at this point! But I know I know, keep bitching and moaning about Non-residents killing all of your deer and that 90/10 will save the day. Others have just posted that they have had more problems with Wyo residents then Non-residents.

Now go kill your 15 Mule Deer and Antelope does and fawns in name of being a MIGHTY Resident! ?

can you share a link to the data showing these numbers?
Sure, just start doing mandatory harvest data and it will more than prove it.

But Wyoming residents don’t wanna do that, then they’d have to pick a region to hunt and we all know Wyoming residents don’t really want to fix the problem. The only thing they are concerned about is don’t mess with my deer hunt.

My goodness you really are dumber then I thought! Who mentioned a 200 inch deer other then you? You really are embarrassing yourself at this point! But I know I know, keep bitching and moaning about Non-residents killing all of your deer and that 90/10 will save the day. Others have just posted that they have had more problems with Wyo residents then Non-residents.

Now go kill your 15 Mule Deer and Antelope does and fawns in name of being a MIGHTY Resident! ?
The supposed quote from the supposed resident hunters is don't worry you can shoot the "big one" we are shooting the first one we see. Do you really think that if a big one stepped out 160-200 the guys were letting it walk for a smaller one? Especially when they only have 1 day to hunt?

No we do not want to limit to pick a region the data does not support that is the issue. But 90/10 will decrease pressure in both G and H. and if we go to pick a region, if you tell residents that we have to choose then we will choose the area with the greatest potential. Meaning many more will focus in your precious G and H and the pressure will increase. Currently I find a good buck about anywhere in the state and be happy, but if you make me chose or you force me to pick I am picking the place that gives me the very best potential and I am hunting the hell out of that place... A place where I have not needed to hunt yet because I am not forced to hunt there...

Sure, just start doing mandatory harvest data and it will more than prove it.

But Wyoming residents don’t wanna do that, then they’d have to pick a region to hunt and we all know Wyoming residents don’t really want to fix the problem. The only thing they are concerned about is don’t mess with my deer hunt.
Umm... you are truly ignorant if you don't think that residents want mandatory reporting. It is the state who has resisted. I am not sure I know any resident who is anti reporting. But just to be clear you have no data to say that it is 6,000 residents in G and H? Just checking as they were your numbers and I was truly interested...

The supposed quote from the supposed resident hunters is don't worry you can shoot the "big one" we are shooting the first one we see. Do you really think that if a big one stepped out 160-200 the guys were letting it walk for a smaller one? Especially when they only have 1 day to hunt?

No we do not want to limit to pick a region the data does not support that is the issue. But 90/10 will decrease pressure in both G and H. and if we go to pick a region, if you tell residents that we have to choose then we will choose the area with the greatest potential. Meaning many more will focus in your precious G and H and the pressure will increase. Currently I find a good buck about anywhere in the state and be happy, but if you make me chose or you force me to pick I am picking the place that gives me the very best potential and I am hunting the hell out of that place... A place where I have not needed to hunt yet because I am not forced to hunt there...
You're missing two important facts. First, some people actually have integrity. I have no doubt they would have let me shoot a big one had it stepped out (and probably would have been happy for me, honestly; they seemed like really nice guys). But, no big buck...in fact, no bucks at all...stepped out. Which brings me to the second fact. Region G sucks and it's going to suck for a long time. People who want to chase big bucks aren't going to be wasting their time there anymore.

You're missing two important facts. First, some people actually have integrity. I have no doubt they would have let me shoot a big one had it stepped out (and probably would have been happy for me, honestly; they seemed like really nice guys). But, no big buck...in fact, no bucks at all...stepped out. Which brings me to the second fact. Region G sucks and it's going to suck for a long time. People who want to chase big bucks aren't going to be wasting their time there anymore.
Probably a lot of truth to this.. a lot

Then
Umm... you are truly ignorant if you don't think that residents want mandatory reporting. It is the state who has resisted. I am not sure I know any resident who is anti reporting. But just to be clear you have no data to say that it is 6,000 residents in G and H? Just checking as they were your numbers and I was truly interested...
then speak up, voice your opinion. Demand change. The question is when change comes in the form of pick your region, quotas, will residents fight it?

Noooooo…… I always hear how those Wyoming residents “Self regulate”…. I heard there wouldn’t even be a Wyoming plate at a trailhead anywhere this year…..

Cool , words out G and H suck so you nonres don’t waste your time or money applying ,?. Definitely tough hunting season sounds like , haven’t made it up to self regulate yet but reports don’t sound promising but I know some good ones have been harvested so won’t hurt to spend a couple days looking for the one. Was up on opening weekend but much of it was spent chasing bugles with the kid then packing out elk meat!!

Assuming we get a few years of favorable weather patterns, the Deer will recover. I’m sure it’s sad seeing the void, for you lucky guys that get to go in there every year.

We all get on here and piss and moan at each other, but I really think the weather has a lot more to do with whether those Deer thrive or crash (Aside from the migration corridors, and winter range). I don’t think the hunting matters that much in the end.

It will be interesting to hear the herd counts this winter and the buck to doe ratios. To all the boohoo ? close the hunt guys, I'm glad the Wyoming Game and Fish department is smarter than you. I'm hoping for future easy winters and wet springs and summers.
Yea they've done a great job increasing deer numbers state wide up to this point

Last edited:
You can sit here and wish for easy winters all you want we've had mostly easy winters until last winter and 16-17 which really wasn't bad compared to this one and deer numbers have been declining the whole time. The only thing game and fish can truly control is how many guys are out there killing deer. Sure they can try to kill all the predators and build overpasses but that isn't going to turn things around they've been doing these things the whole time little things won't make a big a difference and a big difference is what we will need. Limited quota for deer state wide and general for elk state wide residents only non resident can stay how it is, is my vote pretty tired of watching the deer waste away.

Agree, sucks for sure, and if forecast is correct gonna be another doozy of a winter. I’ve been talking to another member and kinda disappointing he drew H and not getting the full experience of what it is or can be, but he’s not alone and it truly is sad. That being said I know of some good bucks being taken.
So you lied to me?? :p

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom