Charles Daly .270 Mauser???

TheKnack

Very Active Member
Always liked Mauser's and Charles Daly has them for a great
price. Anyone have any experience with these rifles?
Planning on buying a Field Grade .270 and restocking with a
Boyd's thumbhole sporter stock and glass bedding.
Think it will make a great mid-caliber hunting rifle.
What do you all think?
The price for the rifle new is only $290.
Jerry

Jerry,
I got on the Charles Daly website and looked at actions and barreled actions for about $290(+/-), were you talking about an action or a complete rifle? If that price was for a complete rifle could you pass along where I could find one for that price. I'd like to have a rifle built around the 98 style Mauser action, but if one can find one at those prices why not buy one already built?. If I bought an action only, I'd like to have a 7X57mm built for my wife (wink wink). Even at the web listed suggested prices it's not too bad a deal. Thanks for any light you can shed on it.

LngTLLTxn

LngTLLTxn,
I got the rifle for $290 by looking in Shotgun news then going
to my local gun dealer and having him arrange the transfer for about another $40 dollars.
Looks like you can buy an action or barreled action or the complete rifle for a great bargain.
Sometimes you can find great deals in Shotgun News and just
head over to your nearest gun store that will do transfers for you to pick them up. Usually they charge $25-$50 to do the paperwork and use there FFL.
I may buy another action and rabarrel it with a custom barrel and put a Boyd's stock on it and it would cost way less this way than buying a custom rifle.
I think they offer a 7x57 in the micro mauser action and it would be worth checking out for the price.
Never had a mauser that let me down.
Hope you get the rifle you want for your wife.
Best,
Jerry

That sounds simple enough, I've heard of other people buying guns and such on line and then getting someone with a FFL to help with the paperwork. I'm going to follow up on it and, I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for help, and buena suerte this Fall.

LngTLLTxn
Tony Bretzke

After bedding the action and lugs the .270 is shooting 3/4" groups at 100. Not bad at all.
Some more handloading experiments and I should be able to shrink the group even more.
Looks like I got a new rifle to try out in October.

Only thing I have to say is if you get one of these buy the mid rings instead of the low profile.
The low profile ones the bolt ticks the scope.
Really happy with my new rifle.
Jerry

Used a different stock but it came out great.
Best,
Jerry

jerryknack102803-5.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom