Cheap entertainment

On old man told me alot of years ago the tree huggers are going to infiltrate the system then shut it down! They have been going at it for some time now and are starting to do damage.

The greatest line, “One cannot claim to be a game manager when the game is disappearing year after year with nothing concrete being done about it. Nesvik has stated, “but we still have hunting.”

In other words. “ I can no longer ride my horse up the sunlight trail and kill a big bull migrating in belly deep snow from the saddle, so you suck at your job”

The new office in Cody will run about ten million dollars unless there are more cost overruns. The Sunlight Creek Project that changed the creek channel to save a few cabins belonging to G&F had huge cost overruns and took a couple of extra years to complete. The new building looks great and the progress seems steady. They were sheeting the roof when I drove by it today.

Over the years, I have been to numerous G&F meetings locally. A theme at most of these meetings involved a lack of funding or “poor boying” by local G&F employees. This included studies on the predation by wolves on the local deer, elk and moose population, the actual population of wolves and grizzly bears in the area, or even over harvest by hunters. I have been told by local G&F employees that declining mule deer numbers are the result of drought, winter kill, cwd, poor winter browse, poor habitat in general etc. Most will not discuss lion and wolf predation. The annual reports hardly mention this factor.

Do I think that the new building will help alleviate declining game populations. No I do not. That is just my opinion. However, I do believe that the local game and fish biologists and wardens will now have a difficult time claiming that a lack of funding to study potential impacts on the local ungulate population is the problem.

A few weeks ago, I contacted our local F&G commissioner and asked her to propose some public meetings to discuss what has been accomplished since the 2018 wholesale changes in deer seasons, LE deer hunts, and the antler restrictions. I have little faith in receiving a response that includes informative meetings or Q&A. A couple years ago, I contacted the Commission and asked what they hoped to accomplish with an extension of the 4pt restriction for a 4th year. I got a call from a biologist wherein he essentially indicated we just thought we would give it a whirl.

I am accused of hating on G&F. I actually like the employees I know. I am cordial with them. My observations from hunting mule deer in the local area are fairly simple. In 106, without significant weather the harvest will be mostly yearling bucks. In the North Fork, I have noticed no change in the harvest or the size of the bucks. Again, just my observations.

I believe that G&F needed a new building. Do I think the new structure is a little bit much, I do. Do I think it will do anything to increase hunting opportunity or game populations? No.
Just sayin...my

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom