check this out.....I am I wrong?

R

RACKMASTER

I razzed this hunter pretty good and I will give him the biggest "I'm sorry I was wrong" if I am thinking a 100 yard pin for mule hunting is an idiotic idea and would be ethical?
is the technology so advanced now?
I have not bow hunted in a while(7 years) and the bow I have is an old screaming eagle!
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK
rackmaster

(HIS POST BELOW)
zwilliams (5 posts)
Jun-13-08, 01:35 AM (MST)
7. "RE: Making my own honey hole..."
First of all if you don't have any idea how accurate and advanced bowhunting has become the past year or two, you don't know what you're talking about...I have a 100 yard pin on my hoyt trykon xl that is accurate enough to hit a 20" circle 8 out of 10 shots. I'm hunting big and smart deer. Done with the 2 and 3 points. Nobody in the country i'm hunting in is going to get a 50 yard shot at a 30" wide buck period!! They are too smart and are big for a reason.
I do appreciate the advice on the bitterbrush and clovers, I've had a few different people reccommend that now and have already planted some I got at Cabelas. Also have put out buck grub, peanut bucker, and stump likker with trail cameras around them. I am getting awesome pictures of bucks and bulls coming into feed and water!! The moose are thick in this area though and they seem to be keeping the deer at bay sometimes with their size. Cow elk and does don't seem to mind them too much but the bucks are keeping distance. Anyone know of anything to distract the moose away that wont affect the deer or elk??
~Z~

>..I have a 100
>yard pin on my hoyt
>trykon xl that is accurate
>enough to hit a 20"
>circle 8 out of 10
>shots.
He pretty much sums it up himself.
8 out of 10 isn't good enough, and a 20 inch bullseye isn't even close to good enough. If he's shoooting at deer 100 yards away, he's got ethical problems in my book.
Ask him "at what distance can you keep 9 out of 10 in a 6 inch circle ?" because that's his maximum distance.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-08 AT 07:13AM (MST)[p]I don't doubt that he can hit a a 20" circle out to a hundred yards, but the kill zone is less than half of that & the trade off for those long distances is loss of Kinetic Energy. Not saying that killing a Muley from that range can't be done, the PSE X-force may be able to get the job done more humanely with it's heavy Kinetic Energy and faster speeds (about 20-30 fps faster than the Trykon); but it really boils down to ethics and experience. Would I be comfortable at that range - NO, but others may use that as somewhere around their limit. Personally, if I wanted 100 + yard shots on BIG game; I would go rifle hunting.

As to the comments... "Nobody in the country I'm hunting in is going to get a 50 yard shot at a 30" wide buck period!! They are too smart and are big for a reason."... that is just plain obsurd! Randy Ulmer, Chuck Adams, Cameron Haynes and numerous Monster Muley participants have all closed the distance to within 50 yards OR less and have taken 30"(+) bucks. It doesn't always boil down to technology for a shot. Sometimes it's just the skill of the Hunter, their stalking abilities and patience mixed with a little luck, and the hunt area.

Just my 2?? as always.

~Erock1313

I can assure you that Ulmer would unleash a 100 yard arrrow at a 30 inch buck. He can make that shot the same amount of times out of ten that the average guy can make that 30 yarder.

I don't know about the other guys, I would imagine they are not keeping there shots under 50 when the camera is not rolling.

100 yards at a buck with a bow is absurd. Hitting a target at 100 yards and hitting an animal at 100 yards are totally different. 8 out of 10 in a 20 inch circle is not very accurate either, there would be a lot of wounded deer with that kind of accuracy. That animal has all kinds of time to turn or walk at that kind of distance. I don't care who you are you should not be shooting at a live animal at 100 yards. Of all the deer I have taken with a bow not one has been over 45 yards and they are definately not two and three points. If you can not improve you hunting skills enough to get within ethical bow range hunt with a gun.

If you want to know how realistic a 100 yard shot is just try it the next time you're shooting your bow. My arrow drops about 5 FEET - thats out of a Mathews Switchback at 65 # with a 500 grain arrow. Then try it on a windy day. The arrow has very little velocity or kinetic energy at that distance. You won't convince me that a 100 yard shot, or anything near 100 yards is an ethical shot from a bow. I don't care who is shooting it. C.C.

zwilliams (7 posts)
Jun-13-08, 03:24 AM (MST)
9. "RE: Making my own honey hole..."
Mr bullwinkle is smoked if I could draw one of 3 tags per year for the area. They're thick, like you've probably rm you've never seen before. Because you probably rifle hunt driving around a road with a beer in one hand and binocs in the other. Difference between us is I actually hunt and hunt hard. With practice shooting 4-5 times a week year round and I am more comfortable and confident with my bow then you with your 7mm or whatever it is. Do you even know how fast arrows travel these days?? A lot faster than even 5 years ago. Katera will do 330 feet per second with Z3 cams and an America's Best string and cables.
Easy to judge something when you know nothing about it??..........

Sorry guys ...this guys an Idiot and it just bugged me a tiny bit....however now I just let it make me laugh!! sounds like a kid. heres his last reply from the Utah forum!
rackmaster
zwilliams (7 posts)
Jun-13-08, 04:13 AM (MST)
10. "RE: Making my own honey hole..."
Sorry if I sound negative guy. Honestly it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. If i've hit good enough with my 100 yard pin to kill a deer a thousand times by August 16th you really think I'm hesitating taking a good clear shot if the rangefinder says it's anything 100 or under?? It's not an "if there's an arrow in the air there's danger" kind of thing. Confidence and preperation is a lot bigger deal than I think you probably understand. Food for thought... Anyways once again if you don't know anything about something....why talk?? All your making is noise...

He sounds inexperienced and perhaps a bit immature. He may also have a case of "I read too many hunting magizines" and is wooed by big bucks and percieved fame. If your question is are bows capable of putting 8 out of 10 arrows in a 20" circle at 100 yards? The answer is a resounding yes. That's not even saying much. In the hands of a more skilled archer much better is achievable. If your question is should people be taking bow shots on game at 100 yards? Only the guy behind the bow can answer that question.

http://www.wildernessathlete.com/ because the most important piece of equipment you own is YOU!

http://www.sitkagear.com/ Turning clothing into gear.

www.hudallaassociates.com

Interesting to say the least. I've been bowhunting since I was 14 (16 years). I currently shoot a Mathews Legacy. I'm right at 300 fps. There is still a lot for me to learn and experience when it comes to bowhunting, but I will tell you this; A 100 yard shot with your bow is absurd! And I agree, A 100 yard shot at a target, and a 100 yard shot at a deer are two totally different things. I have a 50 yard pin on my set up, and let me tell you, when you have little light, lot's of brush and a living, breathing, moving animal at 50 yards...even that is a TOUGH shot!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-08 AT 08:57AM (MST)[p]>Difference between us is
>I actually hunt and hunt
>hard. With practice shooting 4-5
>times a week year round
>and I am more comfortable
>and confident with my bow
>then you with your 7mm
>or whatever it is. Do
>you even know how fast
>arrows travel these days?? A
>lot faster than even 5
>years ago. Katera will do
>330 feet per second with
>Z3 cams and an America's
>Best string and cables.
>Easy to judge something when you
>know nothing about it??..........

To his first line.... If he hunts so hard and is so good, then why is closing the distance to under 50 yards such a problem? People that practice out to 100 yrds. usually do so because it gives them confidence at closer yardages.

330 fps from a Trykon? I don't know.....sounds a little weird. If my IBO was like this guys, I would be shooting 100 yards too...oh wait; it is! Too bad it's AMO that counts along with ethics. LMAO

This guy probably thinks that "KINETIC ENERGY" is some brand new kind of Sports-Energy Drink from the makers of Gatorade!

I think he summed it up best with his last line. (Can you say, Insert foot here... :eek: )

~Erock1313

Ethics,ethics,ethics. 100 yards, Not something to be bragging about let alone discussing in the open, my opinion. At 100 yards, maybe he should look at a Rifle or Muzzleloader hunt!

This guy sounds very arrogant and over-confident. If ethics is the question, then 20" groups is not even in the question for an ethical shot IMO.

With that said, I know I can shoot smaller groups than him at that distance but that's just for practice and fun, not ethical hunting. However, for all the kinetic energy arguments, the energy is definitely there for the right bow at that distance, at least for deer IMO. Bowsite recommends 42-65 ft*lbs for large game, and many bows today will shoot over 42 at 100 yards.

Bow hunting isn't supposed to be long range. If someone wants to shoot critters from 100 yards plus, get a rifle. You could get lucky and kill something out to 100 yards but evry thing would have to be perfect, the wind, the bow, and the animal can't move. To me bow hunting is all about getting close!

I believe there would be plenty of energy at 100 yards for most modern compound bows, but that is not the cause of concern for me. I know there are some archers who are awesome shots at 100 yards (I know a few who frequent this forum), but I am not worried about archers here. I am worried about BOWHUNTERS, there is a huge difference. Do the math on how much time it takes an arrow at 300 fps to travel 100 yards, then do the math on how far a deer can move in that same time frame. The intent of ALL bowhunters should be to make ethical shots that increase the likelyhood of a clean and quick kill. I equate a 100 yard archery shot to a 800 yard rifle shot. While I enjoy taking 100 yard shots at TARGETS, I would NEVER consider taking such a long shot at an animal. If I can't get closer than 100 yards I should respect the animal enough to let it walk, and then become a better hunter. If one can't get closer than 100 yards, he/she has no business bowhunting, and should stick to shooting targets that don't move unpredictably.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

I have a hoyt vectrix with the z3 cams he's talking about equiped with a 10 oz side-kick stabilizer, sure-loc sites, winners choice string, and am shooting goldtip prohunter arrows. With my sure-locs I can hit over 100 yards,(most sites cost around $100, these retail over $300 for a reason) not saying I want to kill something out that far so settle down lol. However, if I were to see a 35" to 40" nontypical deer or a 400 class bull elk and my only shot was going to have to be at 100 yards, I don't think there's any doubt I would consider the shot. I doubt any archer with practice and confidence is going to pass the shot on a true trophy animal.

Is he saying he is only taking 100 yard shots or can shoot out to 100? There's a difference in my opinion.

Yes everyone in the hunting world is going to say anything over 60 yards with a bow is unethical but I'll bet you over half of the bowhunters out there have also attempted it in the past..

Trophy bowhunting requires a guy to be able to shoot accurately at further distances dont you think?

I have never taken a shot over 45 yards at an animal and would never even consider a 100 yard shot at an animal even if he was a 300" buck. Trophy bowhunting requires you to be a better hunter and able to get in on the big deer. You do not have to be able to shoot further. If you blow it one day you find the deer again and try again. You don't fling arrows at 100 yards. If you want to shoot that far get a muzzleloader. There are a lot of guys who can shoot quite accurately at 100 yards at a target. A target isn't alive and doesn't move. it wouldn't take much of a movement at 100 yards for you to gut shoot the deer or shoot it in the ass. Guys who take 100 yard shots at live game with their bows need to give their head a shake.

+1 Saskman!

An ARCHER sees how far away he can get and still hit his target....a BOWHUNTER sees how close he can get before he hits his target. JMO

BOHNTR )))---------->

dubdrops, I have an LE archery elk tag for a unit that I KNOW holds 400"+ bulls on it. I promise you I will NOT be even tempted to take a 100 yard shot on such a worthy prey if it is presented. If 100 yards is as close as I get, the bull has won and has EARNED the right to live another day.

"An ARCHER sees how far away he can get and still hit his target....a BOWHUNTER sees how close he can get before he hits his target."

Well said!

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

Bohntr / Pro +2

IMHO... This discussion is the reason that a lot of units are being switched from modern Compounds to Traditional recurve/long bows only. Heck, in Pennsylvania it has even gone a step further back in time. Check this link out:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0124_060124_atlatl_deer.html

Too many people get it in their heads that because they can shoot a certain distance, that they should be able to kill at that distance. It only takes a fractional movement at the shot, to be off more than a couple of inches at 100 yrds. and if 20" is with his perfect form, that movement could mean the difference between wounding a deer and killing the animal humanely.

Most people on this site took on Bowhunting because of the challenge and the art of it. I know I did. To me, getting so close that my Broadhead touches the deer before it ever fully leaves the bow, would be the perfect stalk. That to me is one thing that means I am good, not hitting something the size of an oscillating room fan and calling it a day.

~Erock1313

well.. 100yds? hmm.. shot it at targets but no never ataanimal. killed a mule deer at 73 yds, and no i couldnt have got closer. I dont think its very smart to shoot 100yds at an animal but yet every year when i run into people in the field their telling me about not only 100yd shots but 110,115+. in fact last year on the strip i was told by a very popular mule deer hunter how he missed a 220 typical at 120yds.

point is. like it or not it happens every year. this type of thing will become more & more popular with advancing technology. preaching your ethics is not going to change what other people feel they can do.

why are you worried if your right or wrong? its none of your business what he does. only what you do.

Dekkers,It does matter what we as hunters do as individuals. If one individual archery hunter is seen or heard by a non-hunter, or worse an anti, telling the story of how they gut shot a buck at 100+ yards, they assume we all do it.

I dont want them lumping me in with those in that club.

All we(I) are(am) trying to say is do your best to get as close to the animal as possible.You minimize the chances of wounding a buck by getting as close as you can. And that just shows respect for the animal you are persuing.If you dont respect the animal, then you really aren't a true outdoorsman.

just my 2 cents.

477ae34e5b284072.jpg

Hey fellas i miss this z dude he was one bright individual ;-) anyone know what nuked the post? hope it wasnt me sorry but i dont think that he has ever shot anywhere but his back yard. in the field a hundred yard shot is ludacris! there are too many variables temp wind a twig at seventy five yards that you cant see cause the brush is to thick to hunt any other way lmao haha. seriously what a complete tard and a half.

Bury me in the hills so i can fertilize the grass and grow bigger animals for the rest of ya

I think it was me...refer him to spend more time petting
a kitty cat than running his mouth off about US and how we are abunch of dumbasses!
RM

I'm with you. Too many bad things can happen at that distance.

If he wants to kill from 100 yards, he needs to buy a rifle.

Nick

can you honestly take an ethical shot over 40 if conditions are not perfect? I dont feel comfortable with it. and isnt getting up close and personal with the animals why we bow hunt? Trial and error a challenge on an animal that can hear smell see and physically out do anything we could ever do. How many people hunt for meat anymore its a hobby/obsession/challenge, leave it at that and do the animal your hunting a favor... BE MORE ETHICAL.

A 100 yard shot is very stupid an un-responsible, but do-able. When I was about 17 years old I was on a hunting trip with my friends and their dad. Their dad had a 100 yard pin on his bow and could hit a paper plate every shot. He said he would shoot a deer with it only if the conditions were perfect.(what ever that means at 100 yds).

We were heading into town one evening and spotted some does on the side of the road. We were still way up on the mt. We stopped and looked at them for a minute. Then he got his bow out and ranged them. One of them was exactly 100 yards away. He shot it directly through the heart. The problem is that it went through the first deer and into the ass of another one. I followed the second blood trail for about 60 yards and found the other deer dead. He must have hit an artery or something. This was a complete mess in my book. I had been taught better by my dad.

From my experience, anyone who will actually take a shot at a deer at that range has no respect for the animal and is giving us all a black eye. No matter how impressive the shot may have been.

2pointer

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...z=show_thread&om=2031&forum=DCForumID23&omm=0

Hate to beat a dead horse boys, but the guy who takes a 80+ yard shot at a big game animal needs to have his bow wrapped around his neck.

A lot of good opinions were written on this subject under Archery on page 2. It was titled "Is 80 yards an ethical shot?"

Some guys just don't get it and never will. But, IMHO if only one guy stops from taking a 80+ yard shot and thinks about threads like this one and the importance of not taking such an irresponsible shot, then the ethical hunters have done their job.

Some people can be educated....some are just idiots.

HK

GO HARD KORE OR DON'T GO AT ALL

so... just a question. but. if anything over 80 is not ethical to everyones popular opinion. what would be the cut off for muzzeloders? or rifles?

clearly you guys dont hunt arizona. around here thats the rage. everybody whos anybody is do in it. must be ok because the vast majority says so... or wait says no??

long range is here. like it or not. ethical or not.

everyone on here can paint the pretty picture of their "ethics" but in the end where do all the 100 yd shooters come from? because theres more then just one or two.

the faster their arrow. the flatter it flies. the more forgiving the range. the farther the shots.

MY opinion for what its worth is based on MY own experience, knowing what I'M capable of. knowing what MY equipment is capable of. knowing what MY ethics are.

I'm not really one to tell folks what to shoot, as my ethical distance may/will be different than yours. But to answer your question.....I've arrowed A LOT of bucks in Arizona over the years.....none have been over 50 yards, with the closest being 12.

BOHNTR )))---------->

well congrats on being such a GREAT deer hunter. i never said it wasnt possible to shoot one up close.

if you hunt arizona so much then you should be well aware of the popularity of long shots.

Never said I was a great hunter (you did)......but I'd like to think I'm a patient one.

I haven't personally seen a lot of long range shots in Arizona....but I have seen some "archers" with long range misses! :)

BOHNTR )))---------->

word it however you like. you should know what im talking about then.

O and you certainly implied GREATNESS with ALL the deer you shot.

its not hard to shoot deer up close sitting on water.just takes time. but i guess then we could disect the word "hunting" as well.

I'll leave it at this:

First off here's YOUR first quote:

"clearly you guys dont hunt arizona. around here thats the rage. everybody whos anybody is do in it. must be ok because the vast majority says so... or wait says no??"

I simply answered your post and let you know (as gently as I know how) that your statement is incorrect. EVERYBODY does NOT shoot long range there. YOU are the one that obviously felt threatened and took it as chest pounding.

Your second quote:

"O and you certainly implied GREATNESS with ALL the deer you shot."

I've been on this board for over ten years now.....those that know me certainly didn't read my statement and come to the same conclusion as you. If you took it that way.....sorry....you definitely read into it.

Your third quote:

"its not hard to shoot deer up close sitting on water.just takes time. but i guess then we could disect the word "hunting" as well."

There you go again......assuming things. You see I don't hunt out of treestands (don't like heights).....I prefer spot-n-stalk. Of course, I scare more than I take. :)

I've seen some great bowhunters over the years stalk in the open desert on bucks and make close range shots. Additionally, I have a lot of respect for those that can sit treestands as well. It takes a lot of patience, planning, and they generally have close range shots. Sounds pretty good to me.....

I guess it comes down to why one really bowhunts......is it to simply kill something, or to match wits with an animal and take them using a close range weapon.

Good luck to you.....hope you have a fun season.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I want to match wits, get close and put the hammer down!! I personally wouldn't take over a 40 yard shot due to the fact that anything farther is out of my effective range....even if I were in AZ where everyone does it.

Steve

ok i will bite.

the first one was sarcastic. maybe you read to much into that.

the second one was pretty clear to me. but maybe i read into it.

the third wow!!! 12 yds spot and stalk. you are great.

so i will try to make it as clear as i can.. one more time.. ready?? ( more sarcism )

in arizona (where i live). my personal experience as been. alot ( not all ) of the bowhunters that i have run into in the field or in the archery shop have told stories of long range shots. longer then what seems allowable to everyone voicing their ethics concern. so by my experience it seems like its something that is increasing in popularity

ive been in this forum a long time as well. long enough to no your not very smart unless you agree with everyone and have alot of posts. or your from canada.

dekkers- Sarcasm is what keeps some of these posts fun. No harm intended. I see your point that some think it is ok to make longer shots. Bottom line is that those that feel taking longer shots is ethical...will continue to take those shots no matter what others say. It is a mute point to try to get some to change their point of views. Everyone has to live with the results of the shots they take, whether they are good or bad shots.

Steve

Well said Wiszard.

I personally like the challenge of getting close and knowing that I will put the animal down ethically and without question.

"Hunt hard or go home!"

Man, my 2? is starting to add up to about $1 on here....

Dekkers- These Forums are meant for getting feedback on various topics from people that may have more experience than yourself. As is evident from this post, quite a few people have had the expereience in which a 100 yrd. shot may not be or seem like the most ethical/ideal shot for them; based off of their experiences and or knowledge.

Most bowhunters (forgive me if I generalize), try and get as close as possible for the shot. Why??? Because it's called BOWHUNTING! Not bow-killing or bow-injuring. This sport is about taking it to the next level and matching your witts against the witts of an animal that goes day in and day out with being hunted and trying to survive the odds that life in the wilderness brings.

Are 100 yrd. kill shots possible - sure. Is it right for the majority of bowhunters - Probably not. Although there are alot of great archers/hunters here, the majority of us are not so great as to risk an "Iffy" shot on an animal that we respect.

As too your comment:

"ive been in this forum a long time as well. long enough to no your not very smart unless you agree with everyone and have alot of posts. or your from canada.".......

Before you logged your opinions on this post, you had 10 posts. Surely this is not the first post that warranted an opinion from you, considering there have been many about ethics in general. That is not to say that your opinions are not credible or valid, but to simply state that credibility often comes with experience. Bohntr has had almost 2000 posts which does give him a little extra well deserved respect in his opinions as far as I and many others are concerned. He is also one of the moderators of this forum.

And "Canada".....Come on "Aye!"

Again, just an addtional 2? on this topic. No disrespect intended.

~Erick

Dekkers,
Its not impossible to get 20-40 yards spot and stalk on a deer. Even in the desert. Its called hunting for a reason. It makes me laugh that you insinuate that sitting on water is not hunting. If you are not capable or your skills are not adequate enough to get closer than 100 yards to a deer stalking, then maybe you should invest in a good blind and sit on some water. Thats what I would do.

I personally am not hung up on distance.
Once I am able to hit a 6" circle 9 times out of ten at 100 yards, I wouldnt hesitate taking the shot....Assuming, of course, that there was absolutely no wind, and the 30" buck I was about to kill was deaf and blind; so I knew he wouldnt jump the string or duck the arrow....
But if those conditions were right, I'd put the "smack" down on him! Wouldnt even hesitate.

------------------------------------------------------
By the way,
I live in UT.
There are a lot of UTARDS that live here.
I have also seen quite a few WYOMORONS, NEVADUHNS, COLORADORKS, ID-IOTS and AIRHEADZONANS in my travels.

anyway.. this is funny.

how can i fix this? hmm... o i know! i will just start sending wiszard what i think, let him rewrite it and post it ( because he seems to be the only one who understands what i was saying ) so that everyone agrees and feels good about themselves, and my post count will stay low that way i will stay dumb and inexperienced.

you guys just keep reading into whatever you want if thats what make you feel good, or you just want to argue cause you dont agree.

hey check it out i'm almost twice as smart already!!

IMO I'd have to say it depends on each individual & then having a clear understanding of what their shooting range is. I know that some guys practice at long distances consistently & put a lot of time in to there shots until accuracy is on point each and every shot. Right now for instance, I should not be taking a shot at an animal past 50 yds for the simple fact that I have not been practicing beyond that range. ALthough I shoot every single day its usually at 20-30 making sure i get my reps in everyday.
Sure I am thinking there are a lot of guys on here that are dead nails out to 80 & if they know they can do it, then I say go for it. But with that said I believe these longer distances should only be reserved for those that have no doubt they will place that arrow in the kill zone each time. Im sure we have all witnessed shots that have simply wounded an animal because of poor shot selection. Beyond 80 I believe is pushing it and putting a large risk at not being able to finish the animal off. Im not telling anyone not to shoot past this distance because who knows, maybe they have been successful at doing it. I also know that when you have worked your ass off on a hard hunt & are left with a long distance shot past your comfort zone that it is hard to let off & pass on the animal... man that situation sucks bottom line. I guess it comes down to each hunter knowing their limits. Remember I am not here to preach right n wrong, just getting some thoughts out with evryone else.

with a good range finder and practice it is very easy to shot consistantly at that distance. It depends on the shoot where I hunt its hard to shoot through the trees that far

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-08 AT 06:10PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-08 AT 06:09?PM (MST)

some more math for ya. 100yd bow shot 1000yd rifle shot post.

Heres my figures 300fps bow 100yds 1 sec till impact

1000yd rifle shot 3000 fps 1 sec till impact

sound travels at 1100 fps the animal never hears the bullet comming, the animal hears the arrow before it travels 30yds sure 100yd shots with a bow are possible but its not because of skill its luck. Ive seen animals jump the string and duck an arrow at 20yds if any bow hunter on here can honestly with a clear conscience tell me 100yd shots are ethical is kidding him self.

as far as making excuses and defending popular bow hunters that brag about missing huge bucks at 120 yds well I say BS. Its hunters like them that are giving every one of us that works our butt off to be ethical and humaine a bad name and more ammo for the anti hunting comunity. We as ethical hunters have a responsibility to ourselves and future generations of hunters to fight the good fight and be as ethical as possible all of the time. Not just when its a little buck or bull out in front of you.

FOCKER OUT!

You're going to hear this debate for the next.. well as long as all of us are into the game. Twenty years ago I was hearing about the exact same debate.

I'll never go out in the woods with an exact number of how far I'm going to shoot. When I am closing the gap and I am faced with the decision to shoot or not to shoot. I know in my gut if it is too far or too difficult. How? because I know what I can do. I shoot enough I know what I am capable of. Most important I know when my own nerves have betrayed me. I shoot when I know I am going to kill the animal with one shot. To say "I will shoot at anything up to _____yards" is ignorance. It is one thing to be able to stand in your back yard under perfect conditions and wad up arrows in a tight group at 100+ yards. But try it when everything is on the line. I know more bowhunters than I care to remember that have their sight tapes out to 150 yards that can't shoot under pressure at 20 yards.

What you're capable of is one aspect, what the animal is capable of is the another. If I have a buck totally wound up like a spring staring me down I am not going to shoot. I don't care how fast you x-force boys think your bows are. (they're not as fast as you think, but this is a whole other thread I wouldn't mind chiming in on) Only a gun is fast enough to get the projectile there in time. The deer is going to see everything as your whole shot pretty much explodes with an arrow racing towards itself. Limbs, cams, strings, trigger punch and the dumb look on your face. Yeah, it's going to try and get out of the way. Animals are not just going to stand still looking at you and let you get situated, so you can shoot at them. If he has his head in bush munching down on some grub and everything is right? I'm going to smoke him.

With all of this being said there is always an exception to the rule... Coyotes are never too far or running too fast. That is a law to live by in my book. Always shoot at a coyote!

BR-

KW

Wow I have never seen this hashed out before on Monster Muleys?@!# I can't even believe someone wrote a post about how far we should all be shooting and I can't beleive there are two different sides to the debate. Contact the moderators this has never happened before!!!LOL
I just wanted to say that in the past I have taken longer shots with a bow and have taken a few animals at longer ranges. I had never lost an animal with a bow except one gut shot at 23 yards where a buck jumped the string on me(which I would have recovered if some guy hadn't tried to "help out" and track my blood trail and jump my buck out of his bed---another story) Anyways it had never happened to me UNTIL last year when I was faced with a really tough situatin on a great typical buck at a longer yardage. I tried to get closer but couldn't and I was nervous because his doe had spotted me. The buck was broadside and calm and I decided to take the shot. I had practiced this range and even further all year and I was confident with the range in my backyard as well as on the mountain with steep angles. Needless to say I hit the buck poorly and never recovered him. Watching that buck run away with a "bad" arrow sticking out was enough to make me think twice about ever doing that again. I am hopeful that the wound healed and the buck lived to see another season because my friend saw the buck several days later and he seemed to be fine but it still doesn't take away the fact I took a shot that I probably shouldn't have taken. Not because I wasn't capable of hitting the deer at that range but because it wasn't really "bowhunting" as I have come to know and love it. I know my BEST memories of bowhunting all happened at 50 yards and less. At that range you are so close and personal with the animals it is just an awesome experience. Things can go wrong at any yardage (even 15-20) and there is no magic number for everyone to follow but I think we could all be a little more wise in our decisions and ethics. Whether it is 40 yards 50 yards or more there is a question to ask. Am I bowhunting because I love the challenge of getting close and love the sport of getting in close to these incredibly smart animals or am I bowhunting because I couldn't get a rifle tag and I want to see how far I can fling an arrow and still whack a deer, elk, etc.? I have experienced both sides of the debate and I think it is safe to say that we could all use better judgement sometimes in the feild especially when have a trophy class animal is in front of us.

In Arizona (where I live in case any one cares) I used to think long shots were the norm, and I guess in some cases they are. Then I became a better hunter, I shot at three P&Y animals(2 mulie, 1 coues) this year, all under 45 yards. I missed all three. I've learned to shoot very well over the years, you'll just have to take my word for that.. and now I am a better hunter but I can't seem to do both at the same time very often. I could really care less how far someone shoots at a deer. BUT FOR ME, I like to think of myself as a bowhunter as stated before, I love the rush of getting close.

If this (apparently young) guy is bragging about his ability and
even desire to shoot a deer at 100 yards, what will he do when a toad steps out at 115 yards?

If my comfort range is 50, I may be tempted to try that 60 yard shot on a big boy, but if your ready for 100 howfar out is he going to be tempted? 115? 125?

He obviously can't stand not bagging something in order to be 'successful'. Hopefully he will grow out of that phase fast!

For now, I say give him 1 arrow and that's it. After he shoots once, he's done. Maybe we won't have 3 or 4 wounded animals walking around with arrows sticking out of there hind quarter.

>Holy Balls man,I figured it out
>,Dekker is " TIMBERHUNTER ".
>
HEHEHEHE

------------------------------------------------------
By the way,
I live in UT.
There are a lot of UTARDS that live here.
I have also seen quite a few WYOMORONS, NEVADUHNS, COLORADORKS, ID-IOTS and AIRHEADZONANS in my travels.

This sounds like the 65y walking shot someone took on here a few years back.

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

I once ranged my target at 100 yards and my pin was bigger then the target.I might shoot at 50 but thats it.I shoot a 08 tomkat.How anyone can shoot at that range is ??
Safe hunting everyone.

Since when is the kill area on a muley 20"??? 8 out of 10 times...lets cut that kill area in half at least,now your at 40% hits,+-,sounds like this hunter has little or no respect for the animal.Sounds like he needs to to learn to be a better stalker, before he learns to be a better shot (100 yds.)Go spend some time and practice gett'n the wind right and gett'n close..thats what bow hunting is all about, is it not?? is he going to "punch his tag" if he crips one and it runs off??? doubt it.100 yds..not this "bowhunter"

God forgive me for posting to this thread but....
Is the limit Qualitative or Quantitative? In other words...

Someone shouldn't take a 100 yard shot because I can't and therefore nobody else can or should?

or is it

Someone shouldn't take the 100 yard shot because there isn't enough KE at longer distances?

for the Qualitative - I don't want anybody to say how far anybody can shoot, that is a personal decision...

for the Qualitative - If you know have enough KE at the longer distances than you shouldn't be taking the shot.

J-

www.chasingtherut.com

jamaro,

IT'S NEITHER! It has very little to do with energy or practice!

It has to do with the uncertainty of what the animal will do when your bow goes bang.

Of course energy and a perfect shot plays into the equation, but it's more about being able to read the animals mind and what it will do when the shot goes off. Elk will jump a string at 20 yards...think about 100+ yards. Just think about it.

HK

GO HARD KORE AND SNEEK UP ON AN ANIMAL

>jamaro,

> Elk will jump
>a string at 20 yards...think
>about 100+ yards. Just think
>about it.
>
>HK

yeah... He should just sit there... If a elk can hear your bow at 100 yards you have bigger issues.... I know lot of people that would rather take longer shots because animals tend to jump the string that at closer distances...

Jason

I think that we should ponder this in these terms.

Do bowhunters want to be like those rifle folks who esentially mortor shoot at 800-900-and farther yards?

Think about it. Those rifle shots are off a rest, can be calculated with computer programs given good data and the deer can't hear it coming.

I personally don't look highly on the vast majority of those rifle hunters who take those shots.

Althought I have only taken up archery over the last 3 years, I have to say it is even more of a risk to take those shots at 90-100-and farther yards.

Why? Because all archery shots are off hand to my knowledge and as stated below, often the animal hears the shot. If they don't hear the shot, it is likely because of wind. That wind makes these ultra long range shots very risky.

My opinion is the percentage of bow hunters who should take shots at these ranges is microscopic.

Try to get close!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom