in. I'm trying to become more cultured like yourself
and others that tend to frequent this sight, and was
wondering if you could slip me some alternatives that
would expand my culinary horizones. I'm alway into
expanding my culinary horizones, if you know what I
mean. I wait impatiantly.

Your fan,

Larry

I'm anxiously awaiting some recipes from Chef myself. Can we get some steak recipes for starters? It's almost hunting season.

I'm not Chef or a chef by any means but if you want to try something get a packet of McCormick grill mates Southwest steak seasoning. Then use Jack Daniels or whatever you have in place of the water then throw the steaks on the grill, a friend showed me and it's great, at least I think so.

huntindude!!!

DO YOU EAT IT OR DRINK IT???

LOL!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WITH THE TRUE MEANING OF PISSCUTTER:SUB TROPHY QUALITY OF THE SPECIES,IF YOU USE THE WORD PISSCUTTER YOU'D BETTER KNOW WHAT IT MEANS OR EVERY M.M. MEMBER & EVERY PERSON ON THE WWW WILL BE LAUGHING THEIR ASSES OFF AT YOU!!!

Sounds like a horrible waste of Jack Daniels to me! Throw the steaks on the grill with a little salt and drink the JD. But, hey, I'm no chef, I like my venison to taste like venison.

I'll get back with you guys later. Gotta leave for work but will post tonight. In the meantime, keep on putting up the recipes!

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Funny story, Chef and I were on a bear hunt with some of our friends last year up on the San Carlos and they didn't know Chef was actually a chef until the last night. They were pissed because they could have been eating stuff with sauce on it as they put it.

As far as steaks go I used to use all of the seasoning salts and marinades on mine but someone that was a cook at Monti's here in town told me that all they used was Coarse Kosher salt and crush it between thier fingers and sprinkle a little bit on both sides and grill it like that. I have had some of the best steaks I have ever had doing that. You get the natural steak flavor.

But I'm also waiting to see what Chef has to say.

My wife does a fantastic marinade with Jack Daniels. Yuuummmy!
Yeah Chef.... Steve's meat is waiting for you!!!! Haahaaa... Does chef have a recipe for salty, chocolate balls?
Eric

Polarbear;
I am willing to say that will be no on the salty chocolate balls, but I bet he has one for mountain oysters.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-06 AT 11:46PM (MST)[p]It was just a dumb South Park reference, nothing gay or anything like that. Haaahaaa......
Eric

'Cat:

Havent you ever seen a toothless old fart sucking on his steak? Aside from the fact he cant chew anymore, its probably on account of the marinade I'm thinking. Uh oh, just had a visual of me in 20 years...I better follow up on that tooth cleaning appointment.

What happened to Chef? I thought he was
going to get back with us. I was fun'n with
him a little but darned sure want his input on
this. I have backstrap thawing and need his
mentoring.
Talk to me Chef. I can't let'er thaw
much longer.

Larry

DAMN Chef!!!

I KNOW YOU'VE GOT SECRETS BUT DAMN!!!

I'VE BEEN CRAVING A STEAK MARINATED BY THE Chef FOR DAYS NOW!!!

WE'D MAKE YOU COOK US ONE IF WE WERE CLOSER!!!

BUT THE Chefs SECRET RECIPE WOULD DO FOR NOW!!!

OH YA,PLEASE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WITH THE TRUE MEANING OF PISSCUTTER:SUB TROPHY QUALITY OF THE SPECIES,IF YOU USE THE WORD PISSCUTTER YOU'D BETTER KNOW WHAT IT MEANS OR EVERY M.M. MEMBER & EVERY PERSON ON THE WWW WILL BE LAUGHING THEIR ASSES OFF AT YOU,ALL YOU DOE-SHOOTERS CAN KISS MY TAIL ALSO,YOU MUST BE A GREAT WHITE HUNTER WHEN YOU BRAGG YOU SHOOT DOES,HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL WHEN YOU KILL 2 OR 3 DEER WITH ONE SHOT,FRICKEN FAWN KILLERS,THAT AIN'T A HUNT THATS A SHOOT!!!

Here's an idea.

Chef will give us all one recipe for steak for example. (Elk or deer loin)

We will all take a picture of the finished product and compare looks and describe taste and post the results.

gee, sweetie, that sounds like fun.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Dang, guys!

I've been terribly busy with work and other things at the moment.
Tonight I promise.

Chef

Chef, try to pick a recipe that can be made with doe meat too, since there are some here who aren't man enough to.........oh, I don't want to get Bobcat going again! :):)

Steve

Okay, I'm back. Long day at work.

Anyhoo, let's get to the lessons at hand. I'll post several different tips as the days go by. I'll try to keep the thread at the top for a while by adding different things to it. Deer season is here and right around the corner for many. So with that being said, lets get started with the most important lesson when it comes to great tasting deer...

Proper field care. Clean off and cool the meat as quickly as possible. Let hang for several days if in a cool climate. In the shade and in game bags if possible. This will give you tender meat by letting nature take it's course. Quarter and cut into the major cuts if you like then proceed to cut steaks with the good stuff and make burger or sausage with the rest. I was at an elk seminar a few weeks ago and they had Bratwurst made from elk and I think I'll do that next time with the tough stuff. Nothing like a nice Brat with sauerkraut, spicy mustard, and a nice cold beer amongst good friends.

Citric acid? Black Pepper? Sure, if you are infested in camp by bugs, do it. Just watch your ratios on the citric acid. You don't want to denature the meat too much if it's too strong. Sometimes I take along a few gallons of marinade too. Just mix at home and put it in jugs. Again, not too strong on the lemon juice or vinegar and ABSOLUTELY NO SALT! This is the biggest mistake people make when marinating meat for a long time. They use a salty marinade or one with soy sauce. This dehydrates the meat. Season with salt right before cooking, and use coarse sea salt like Orlin said earlier. You won't be sorry. I like my ribeyes with cracked black pepper and ample sea salt right before the grill. That's it.

So, use the marinades while putting certain cuts of meat into ziploc bags ready for the freezer. They will be ready to go upon defrosting. Don't forget to take a little dry rub if you like. I like to use a mix of black pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder. Rub liberally on the meat and place in ziploc bags for the freezer. Ready to go upon defrosting, just add salt. Again, two choices here, wet marinade, or dry rub, not both.

Another note, try not to freeze your deer too soon. If you can, let it hang or rest in the fridge for a few days, then freeze. Water expands when frozen and you don't want too much muscle tissue cell breakage upon freezing prematurely. Let the meat naturally "bleed" first.

Next I'll post up some of my favorite marinade recipes and dry rubs. They get the meat nice and tasty!

food-smiley-016.gif

Chef

Thanks Chef!!
Didn't mean to apply quite so much
pressure, but can't wait for the rest
of it.
Keep it coming.

Larry

Thanks for having my back eelgrass.
I've been sett'n on my hands best I
could, but couldn't take it anymore.
Sum'bech could loose a crop, not to mention
starve to death, wait'n on Chief.

Fiiiiiinaly!

Man, just got a new job and I've been busy to say the least.

Well, I'm ready to share some more.

Here are a few marinades/rubs that I like to use. Remember, I keep the salt out to prevent the meat from losing it's juices but always remeber to season with salt right before cooking. All the "wet" marinades should be whisked together before adding to the meat, and the dry ones should be well mixed before adding also.

**Thai Marinade (good for the strong ruttin bulls and bucks)
1 cup milk
1/2 can coconut milk (trust me)
Juice from five limes (add the rind to it too)
2 ea bay leaves
1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced thin
Black Pepper
Dash of sesame seed oil
Salt as needed before cooking

**Mexican Fajita Marinade
1 cup lime juice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
1 tablespoon oregano, pinched
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
salt as needed before cooking

**Mediterranean Marinade (also great for rack of lamb)
1 cup lemon juice (not lime juice)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil, extra virgin
1/4 cup fresh garlic minced
1/2 cup red onion sliced thin
1/4 cup fresh rosemary, chopped
1/8 cup Cracked black pepper
1 pinch allspice
1 teaspoon paprika
salt as needed before cooking

**Mustard Rub
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt

**Texas Dry Rub (rub generously 1 hour before grilling)
1/8 cup Garlic Powder
1/4 cup Onion Powder
1/8 cup Black Pepper
1/8 cup Chile Powder
1 tablespoon Paprika
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon coarse sea salt

There you go guys, get the flames ready. I think I'm heading out for a freakin' ribeye steak after writing this!

bustedchef.jpg

Chef

Me neither Chef, but about ready
for another one of your cook'n forums.
By the way, you're a class act in these
threads, and some of us apprecitate you,
for what it's worth. You always respond like
a class guy.

That's your chef's hat that fell off your head.

Since the smiley face icon interrupts the original version here's another try.

C=:~)

Turn your head to the left & you might see it.

I got it! Gotta think outside the box!

Now, to put my hat back on....

Here is a recipe to enjoy with the tenderloins of our fine venison.

Grilled Venison Tenderloin with Gorgonzola.

2 ea. Deer Tenderloins
6 oz. Gorgonzola cheese
6 ea. Strips thin sliced bacon
Cracked Black Pepper to taste

Slit the tenderloin lengthwise to create a cavity along the loin. Fill each loin with the gorgonzola cheese. You don't have to slit all the way down the loin to the "tail" since you can fold the "tail" back into the rest of the loin in order to get an even piece of meat that is the same thickness along its entire length. Close the gap as best as possible then season with black pepper. Wrap the loin tightly with the bacon strips. Stretch the bacon along as you "roll" it wrapping the loin entirely to help hold it together.

Over a hot fire, grill the loins on the coolest part of the grill. The bacon will cook and shrink as it does, sealing in the gorgonzola. Be careful not to burn the bacon before the loin is done.

Once cooked, let the tenderloins rest for about five to ten minutes before slicing them into thick medallions.

Serve with rosemary roasted potatoes and grilled vegetables.

Cheers!

**quick note**

Notice there is no salt in this recipe. Between the bacon and the gorgonzola, there is all the saltiness you need.

This is a great combination and I urge you all to try it. The creaminess of the mild gorgonzola (trust me it's delicious cooked) and the fattiness of the bacon compliment the venison, which can dry out if overcooked.

A nice glass of merlot and you are good to go!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom