CherokeeSWA, worth it?

H

hotlead

Hey guys, new to the threads, but everybody seems very helpful. I just moved here and am trying to determine whether or not the Cherokee units NW of FoCo hold any deer. ive hunted the flattops before, and a little around maybell, but never on the front range. I know the dow had the herd decimated several years ago, but Ive seen deer here and there on the roads around Red Feather, and east of there. Surely if I got a couple miles off the road in these areas i'd see animals...or not?? The lower Cherokee unit, which seems the biggest, is quite roadless in areas, and seems rugged enough to keep others out. Granted, its proximity to the front range population centers sucks, but is it even possible to escape the crowds here? I know this isnt a trophy unit, but as I build my points I want to hunt a place close to home where I can do a decent amount of scouting. Any info on anything would be appreciated. Thanks fellas.

hotlead

Compared to Maybell and the flattops, you will be sorely disappointed. However, the herd is rebounding since the great slaughter due to drastically reduced doe tags. This will increase the deer numbers in the areas, but unfortunately buck tags remain a dime a dozen, so finding a deer over 2-3 years old remains a challenge. Since public land deer country in the area is scarce, a funnel effect happens in that region and many hunters end up and same trail head, chasing the same 2 point bucks around. If you are lucky or perhaps good, you'll find an average 3 or 4 pt. If your lucky still, you'll find a forky for the freezer. You could backpack in and have better success but you must remember that water is key in that area. Much of the area is devoid of water and thus deer and elk. Thanks to the MDF, several water improvements were made to hold wildlife there year-round. I suggest scouting to find these sources. If you must hunt the rifle seasons, get in there the day before the season starts and do your best to find a buck before he finds ample private land to hang out on until the shooting stops. The reason that these areas are still a pumpkin festival is because hunters via survey have expressed that they like to hunt every year with as many people as possible. It's like a big party at the trail head. The only thing missing is big bucks. If you feel like this "sucks", as you say, then write a letter to the DOW and tell them so.

You can try the Lone Pine Unit. I have taken a cople of nice bucks there over the years. You have to get in there early and deep,but there is still a buck or two arround.

What these guys have told you is spot on. Those areas used to be loaded with deer, not anymore, but they are coming back from what I understand.

is it any better during archery season - in terms of number of hunters, not necessarily deer quality?

Thanks for the replies guys. I know the ground will be shaking from all the four-wheelers and other rigs, but hopefully a little boot leather will lessen the effect. This area appeals to me because its close, but is there somewhere else around here that my chances of success would increase? Such as the Rawah's or the nat'l forest north of the wilderness area, up near the border? Once again, gracias.
hotlead

I have hunted all the Cherokee Units.For deer i would forget the Upper unit.the lower unit has been O.K. in the past as with the middle unit.The NW part of the Lone Pine Unit was always the best for us.It is a hike ,butthere are still some good bucks in there.Never have bow hunted there ,always rifle hunted and all but one year we all filled our tags.

Archery would be better in terms of pressure. The weather is often hot and dry, but the deer are still there. It's hard to get too remote in there during the rifle seasons because there are usually 3-4 horse trailers at each trailhead. Since the herd is beginning to come back, the chance of finding a bigger deer is there, but very remote. It'll mostly be a rat race to shoot any buck until buck tags are decreased. The shame of it is that just across the road are bucks that rival most anywhere in the west, but all of that is private, allowing the bucks to reach old age. Getting the DOW to make this possible in public land areas is like trying to talk sense to a 2-year-old. They are between a rock and a hard place because apparently those filling out the surveys like it the way it is, a crappy place to find a nice deer.

There seems to be quite a few small parcels of nat'l forest, SWA land and state land scattered all along 287. Are any of those small parcels huntable? I have heard from several people that there are some dandy's on private land on the front range, and I have had success in the past hunting public/private borders, just wondering if these small parcels would be worth my time more than packing in...
hotlead

Any national forest land that has a public road touching it is fair game. State Trust lands are another matter entirely. Unless designated as open to hunting, tate land sections aren't open to the public. You have to be creative to be successful in these areas, so it can pay off to study a map and get to where most other guys won't go. There are dandies on private land. Those deer remind us of what our public land areas could be like without free-for-all deer seasons. OK, I think I've made my point clear now.....

Good info gents.
Does anybody know if the snow piles up anywhere out there this time of year? I enjoy snowshoeing, especially when there are animals to be seen...but I am in FoCo and there has been very little snow to date around here, so it may be dry up there...If there isnt any snow, are there at least animals running around on the Lone Pine unit, or are they all on private this time of year?
hotlead

It can pile up, but hasn't this year. If you want to snowshoe, drive up Poudre Canyon until you get to Cameron Pass, then you Should be able to.....The SWA's are closed until May 1st.

How is the elk doing in the upper cherokee? The last time I was there we saw a giant 6X6 and all we had were deer tags.He was right to the west of the camp area in the early morning.

Send pm

Big And Tiney

3372179434_176181933f_m.jpg

On your way up the mountain, don't forget to look back and enjoy the view.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom