Choice for Mule deer & antelope

S

Swisslake

I'm considering a Browning ABolt in 7-08. The rifle weights 6.25lbs and has a 22" barrel. I would put a Leup. 3.5x10 on it. The balistics look similar to the .270. Any thoughts?

Why not just get a .270?

I'm thinking of starting a .270 Club, then you could join.

WB

Count me in. I dont think theres anything a big .30 can do, that a .270 can't do with a well placed shot. Remember it's not what you hit them with, it's where you place your shot.

SwissLake;

For deer and antelope, a 7mm-08 will do just fine. so would a 270, 25-06, 30-06. Just about everybody has their favorite caliber and feel that caliber will be the best. It's up to personal choice for what you pick.

RELH

WB, I recently aquired a .270 Do you handload, and if you do, can you give me some tips as far as data that works for you? Thanks, mtmuley

MTmuley,

No sorry I don't handload, my father was a big handloader back in the 80's. He worked up a load for my gun it was 130 gr with Nosler Partion Bullets. I'm really bad about cleaning and sighting in, let alone reloading. When I run low on ammo I buy Federal 150 gr nosler factory loads. I keep killing everything I shoot at so I don't want to break my streak. I think I shot my first elk with it back in 1986 and have been on a killing streak ever since, I think I even sighted in a couple years ago, don't think I've adjusted the scope in 10 years. Its a simple Remington BDL with a leapold scope, but man can I shoot that gun. I tried shooting an antelope with ballistic tip bullets this year and had to shoot him several times, don't know why I switched, everything I've shot with partions hits the deck hard if I shoot them in a good spot, even at long ranges. Thats why I'm a .270 fan.

WB

If it works, why try to fix it? I am exited to play with the .270 I am going to try the Nosler Accubond. The one I have is an early Ruger with the tang safety. Although I love my Remingtons, I think I can get this one to shoot. Thanks WB mtmuley

I like the 7-08. It will be a good choice. The only real advantage over the others if there is one is the fact you can have a short action with mild recoil. I have an Encore and had a Savage. Really like the caliber.

I just put a rifle like what your suggesting together for my nephew. I went with the Remington model seven in the 7mm 08 with a Leupold 3x9 40 MM scope. It has a stainless barrel and a synthetic stock and weighs 7 lbs with the scope. The barrel is 20 inches long, it drives tacks and the recoil is almost non-existent. His rifle is several inches shorter and pounds lighter than my 7mm rem. magnum. I may have to put one together for myself pretty soon.

i'm in the .270 club. been shooting the same rifle for 40 years. i shoot a handload with hornady 140 gr. btsp's right at 3100 fps. as far as i'm concerned, a .270 is hard to beat for about anything south of canada. them big mooses and coastal bears might need a gun with a bigger hole in the barrel. what i've never understood was the 7mm/08. the balistics are pathetic. to me, a .243 (which is the same case) with a 100 gr bullet shooting 3000 fps is a better elk gun that a 7mm/08 with 154's shooting 2600 or 2700. if you really have to have a 7mm in a short action, get a .284. there ain't really anything wrong with a 7mm/08. i just can't see much right about it either. reminds me of a .300 savage.

My choice would be the .260 Remington in the Mountain Rifle. Got one set up for my lady friend. Put on a 3 X 9 Leupold Compact scope, got a synthetic stock, and Harris bi-pod.

That gun shoots, not much recoil, and with the 140 grain bullet, smokes everything out there but bears!

Just my 2 cents...

Don Martin

I have both and hand load. My fave is the .270 with 130 grain nosler partitions and 55 grains of H 4831 with WLR primers. At 100 yards you can cover three shots with a nickle. The recoil is mild. Not quite as mild as the 7mm-08 but my neice (110 pounds) shoots both really well. I have not found the load I like for a 7mm-08 Fedral Premium with 140 noslers were pretty accurate in my rifle.

mtmuley what kind of powder and bullet combo are you looking at i may be able to help?

Sign me up for the .270 club. Right now my favorite rifle hands down is a Ruger MK77-II stainless with synthetic stock and Leupold VX-II 3X9 scope (270 of course). My first deer rifle was a 270 Remington model 760 pump. I have mainly used Federal off-the-shelf 130 grain boattails but the past couple of years I have been experimenting with the Federal high enery 140 grain trophy bonded bear claws. I am not convinced the high energy shells are worth the extra money but they shoot well from my Ruger and get the job done on antelope and deer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom