Christmas Tree Cutting

mossback50cal

Very Active Member
Hello all,its almost that time again! I am gonna be starting a new tradition with the family, and would like to cut our own tree this year. We are going to go to the Cloudcroft area next Friday. Does anyone know a good spot for Douglas Firs? We will be purchasing a permit, and looking for a nice tree for our first trip cutting our own!

I hate to hike for a Christmas tree, but, it seems like we always do.

Fir will be at the higher elevations. Russia canyon, upper penasco, wills canyon would be pretty spots to go.

We normally get a fir, but, I like pinon pine better. Hope I can talk the rest of the family into a pinon this year.

I think they smell better, and seem more rustic to me.

>I hate to hike for a
>Christmas tree, but, it seems
>like we always do.
>
>Fir will be at the higher
>elevations. Russia canyon, upper
>penasco, wills canyon would be
>pretty spots to go.
>
>We normally get a fir, but,
>I like pinon pine better.
> Hope I can talk
>the rest of the family
>into a pinon this year.
>
>
>I think they smell better, and
>seem more rustic to me.
>
Like Paul said ,lots of firs in those spots,just make sure your on FS land. Me,I'll be taking the girlfriends grandkids to the ranch to pick out some Pinyons,no permit needed....

I like pinon better also. It is fun to me to find that perfect pinon Christmas tree.

You shouldn't have to hard of time finding on in that area. Went up there for a spring break last year and saw lots that looked like they would work.

I'll probably cut one when I'm up there for the late cow elk hunt. Hardest part is finding a fir growing by itself- lots of them are in groups of 2-3 trunks close together. When you cut one of them half of it is bare.

Thank you guys for all the information. We will definitely be careful not to get a bare tree. My two daughters and wife are very picky when it comes to these things. When they find one they like, I get to cut it down. The picking is all up to them.

That sounds like a good plan. I've picked them out on my own before, but learned not to talk it up too much before I set it up in the living room! I know $5 and fresh is better than $95 and cut a month ago like we get at the tree lot!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom