Chukar w/o dog?

predator

Very Active Member
I am wanting to explore some new area using chukar hunting as an excuse. All I know about these birds is that they can wear out shoe leather in a hurry! Is it possible to be successful hunting these birds without a dog? Can you birdy boys and girls offer some tips in this regard?

Pred

You can do it Lisa but it's pretty frustrating. Listen for their calls and try to get above them. Never chase them uphill. Come down into them slow and be ready. Forget about doubling up, if you knock one down get over to where you marked it down quick. Leave your hat as a marker and look for it in ever widening circles. Sometimes they go a long way before dying.

you can hunt them with out dogs,i do perfer my wiem and short hair with me to find the cripples and great watch'n dogs work.

remember when you find 1 be prepared for a covey to come up.

there some of the goofiest birds iv'e hunted,run up hill and fly down it,wtf

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

Hey Murph! Hope you and your dad got out this year; I have heard they tend to run sways before flushing, if at all? Push off a ridge maybe?

Thanks, KP. Any particular habitat I should look for? I know around here in Utah, it seems most guys talk about the desert?? I assume they need water like any other bird, right?

I have tried multiple times without a dog, and I have had a rough time. Been into a few birds but never enough to get excited about it.

Find water and you will find birds I am told! I must say when I did find the birds it was a really fun shoot!

In areas with a high population it can be done. In low density areas, its an exercise in futility, especially late in the season. If you are exploring near me, I would be happy to put a dog on the ground for you, its kinda my thing.

Once you find where the birds are, wait for a fresh snow storm. Be there first thing and listen for their cackle. If you can move in from above them they will tend to freeze up. After the initial jump and shoot the chukars will blast off in different directions and land a short distance away. That's when the fun begins. start zig zagging out looking carefully for tracks. The birds will land and run a short way, then hide. You find a track, follow it out and when the track stops, get ready because there is a pretty good chance opportunity is about to fly up in your face. Take care of business and then go look for another track. Also listen for them because they will be trying to come back together.

I think they like the steep and rocky country the best. At least that's where I see them all the time.

Shummy, if I recall you are down south, right?

Bucklover, that sounds like my kind of spot and stalk!!

Thanks for the tips!

Pred

i hunt then in the west desert of utah,they like the rocky rough slope's,

like i said when you get one up be prepared too shoot cuz theres gonna be a few more com'n up,

they are a fun bird to hunt, but even funner to watch the azzhole's work.(my wiem & short hair,i love my pups)

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

Hi Predator.
I have had some success hunting them with out a dog.
It is kinda my secret so I will PM you the details.

I heard somewhere that chuckar hunting w/o a dog is like playing baseball w/o a glove... it can be done but it is going to hurt. so the answer is yes.
find water in chuckar country early in the season, find bare spots on south slopes when the snow is on the ground, use calls to locate them. good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-11 AT 09:18AM (MST)[p]Yes you can do it without a dog.
Chukar hold extremely well for a good dog and your success rate will be alot better with one. Also cripples are impossible to find without one.
I know shummy and he has some nice dogs and can get you into some. I very rarely invite others because secret productive spots are hard to come by. But if you can handle alot of swearing, cussing, profuse sweating, skinned knees and hands and moments of questioning your mental health. You can come with us. But you will need to sign the not allowed to tell anybody where at form.
In all serious nothing is better than coming over a hill and seeing this
100_1072.jpg

100_0204.jpg

Or I guess you can wait for snow and just follow this
100_1109.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-11 AT 11:29AM (MST)[p]I guess I forgot to mention the ride in will be blindfolded. You also have to sign a non-disclosure agreement. You should also look into a good psychiatrist beforehand.

I think you can hunt any bird without dogs. I find it extremely gratifying to shoot a bird held on a staunch point and love seeing my gsp Cocoa retrieve it. That being said, I think most people start out either without a dog or hunting along a friend that has one. It is tough to commit to owning a dog if you don't know if you'll like chasing the devil birds.

Blindfolded in a car with Shummy, Heck no I'm going to pass.Did they forget to tell about the handcuffs too. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Chukar are huntable w/o dogs. I have never hunted with dogs but came across others who did. It is a hoot seeing how much the dog loves it either upland or duck/ goose hunting. Chukar live in rocky cliffs and boulder outcroppings. The more of those with some water and food sources the more birds you'll find. I'm in SOCAL. Rocks peppered with their whitish green droppings are a good start. They do make a chukking sound as a community call. Usually in groups of 10 plus and early season 50-100. From a distance their call sounds like walk...walk...walk. You will surely do that and climb.climb.climb. I climb vertical till tired then track sideways till I get my breath back and add some vertical back into it as I can. I recommend #6 shot and a 28" 12 ga. They take off like a pheasant. Very fun to hunt. Very tasty birds also. The work envolved must make them even better. About 3x the size of average quail. Hunt with others if you can. Boulders and rocks can make for falls, etc and snakes in warmer weather. Have fun!!!

You most certainly can hunt them without a real dog. The only time I ever hunted them, my "friends" tried using me as their dog.

Back in the early 80's we were in Oregon hunting waterfowl and we heard some calling on the mountain above us. My friends told me to circle above them and come down and jump them. They knew that the birds would probably fly down the mountain to their waiting guns.

I was kinda on to them though.:)

When I got the right elevation I slowed WAY down. I peeked over a rock and there they were, all coveyed up about 30 yards away. I carefully planned my shots ahead of time, and emptied my gun before they knew what hit them.

I can't remember how many I got, but I think only one bird flew down the mountain.:) For some reason, that was the last time they ever invited me on a Chukar hunt.

Eel

Predator you are more than welcome to come with me anytime! I live in Lehi and if you have some spots you think would hold some birds I am down to throw my hounds on the ground! Also, look for steep, rocky country with cheat grass. Water not that big of a deal once dew/frost starts hitting. They scatter pretty well once that happens. PM if you would like.

ROBBERTO'S BEEN HOLDING OUT ON ME!!!

I really appreciate the advice and invitations. I shall be sending out some PM's for sure, I have heard friends speak of how neat it is to work any bird with dogs.

Blindfolds, rugburns, hmmmmm. Only if you agree to have a taser probe taped to your instep in case you make me nervous..

Eel, are you that wasn't a turtle dove hunt???

Pred

Chasing them around right after a fresh snow when you can see thier tracks is the best suggestion I would have. But I would not even try to hunt chucker without a dog. They love to run straight up hill and over the ridge. Hard to know which way they have run without the dog to lead you.

With a good dog though you can have a great shoot. Even with a dog I suggest letting them take the lead and run like hell after them when they are tracking a hot trail.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom