Cleaning Skull Plaet

crimedog

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-16 AT 07:58AM (MST)[p]I just got my elk antlers back from the taxidermist. At this time I don't have the money for the mount so I wanted to put the Antlers on a plaque and then when the money is there do the full mount. He will have the cape tanned and hold it for me (probably until spring and tax returns)

I need to clean up the skull plate and in reading about it a lot say you can take a power washer to it. Tape off the Antlers so they are protected and just use the power sprayer to get everything off. Have any of you guys done this? It seems like a much easier way to go then boiling it. It's not the full skull just the plate.

Ok I just noticed I misspelled plate in the subject but can't change it so I apologize in advance.

Using a power washer after the skull plate has been boiled works but I'm not sure if it would do the job without boiling. Also, putting antlers on a plaque requires a different cut than a shoulder mount. With the shoulder mount cut on a plaque the antlers will hang way down. You will need to come up with a wedge of some sort on the plaque to tilt the antlers back.

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Your taxidermist should have taken care of that for you. You're paying for the mount and cleaning the skull plate is included in the mounting process even though it will be at a later date.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom