Clear Lake antelope sucess

sourkraut

After 4 days scouting and help from fellow MM members, my son and I each were able to harvest very nice bucks. We drew with max points and many years invested before the point system initiated. We experienced very unsettled weather, rain, hail, thunder, lighting and strong winds. The bucks very rough scores are high 70's and the other very low 80's.
I have tried to read thru the "how to send photos" but I'm not at all computer savy. Can I email photos to someone out there to help me out? Thanks, Fred (sourkraut)

Great to hear! send to;

[email protected]

I'll see what i can do...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Fred's Trophy pic's. Very nice guys!!!

1466dscn0270.jpg

6599dscn0271.jpg

3050dscn0275.jpg

4470dscn0277.jpg

6751dscn0278.jpg

5436dscn0279.jpg

Joey

what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Looks like you guys had a great Hunt congrats .Its nice to make the most of tags you've been waiting years to draw.

Hey Fred, any chance you could fill us in on how your success came about? Don't have to get too particular but would love to here how you guys came about getting these nice bucks and what you thought of the unit in general. Thanks!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Cool coloration pattern on those bruisers! Not particularly large black patches on the cheek/jaw, and the brown patches in the middle if the black on the bridge of the snout is beautiful. I'm guessing from the size of these guys that they are mature so the lack of "blackness" must be some genetic trait of their particular population. Does anyone else know if this is a unique trait found in pronghorn in this zone?

-hs

Well here go's. At Joey's request I'll try to put together an account of our hunt.
I scouted 2 1/2 days early on without much action. Lots of miles on the truck before seeing much. Lots of cattle around with a few cowboys getting ready to move them elsewhere. The last morning scouting I ran into a bachelor herd of 10 bucks and soon 4 more bucks but no shooters. These were South and East of the lake as some of you MM'ers said to check out (thanks). There was plenty of water down that way, ponds, push-ups, and water in the creeks.
My son called to say we were drawn for the FWR region called the peninsular so we checked it out Thur. am before the season while the light was good. Although still early, the heat waves made glassing and spotting scope difficult. We did see antelope but very difficult to judge at such a long distance. Fri. we went South again and saw 1 small heard running and shortly 2 nice bucks ran close by the truck. These were disturbed by men on horse back I believe.
Sat. opening day we headed for the refuge and a mile out started seeing bucks, a couple which were shooters. Very unsettled weather, windy, thunder, lightning, rain. The animals very nervous, bedding, feeding, moving constantly, then bedding once again. My son got within 392 yds. of a nice buck but decided not to try with the wind blowing about 30 mph. We left to try an area North-East but came back to camp at dark without seeing an animal.
Sun. we were on the way to the refuge once again (open Sat and Sun. only) and I decided to hunt a little South where I knew of 2 water holes. My son dropped me off and continued on. Shortly after I spotted a nice buck watching me. I knew he had the length and when he turned I saw the mass and down he went. I was able to stop my son and he raced me back to camp to clean up the buck.
My son returned to the refuge and started seeing some bucks as soon as he was out a mile or so. Once again the wind was relentless and he had to circle time after time to keep down wind at the same time getting farther away from the road. The animals were on the move and as he worked his way up an incline to check the West side he has does passing close by. Unable to move until they passed he stayed where he was and shortly after a nice buck showed his head, then his neck, then the buck dropped in his tracks from a well placed shot to the base of the neck. 1pm in the afternoon and the work began, he drug the buck a mile or so, carried it for awhile, and then headed for the truck to get his old man to help. Back in camp, thunder, lightning and heavy rain once again. He yelled I got one, we gotta go! I jumped in the truck and we headed down the road with pack frames and rope. We loaded the animal on the frames and headed South at a brisk pace as the storm looked like it was coming our way. A very long haul to the truck, but rather easy going. Back in camp we finished cleaning up his animal just at dark. A long, fun, successful hunt day.
Once again I'd like to thank all of the fellows who offered help and encouragement. Great country to hunt antelope, lots of cover, ground broken up with ditch's, ridges, rock outcroppings, timber,juniper and sage flats. Only a few tags for the size of the unit but the quality of bucks was in my opinion, excellent.
Thanks again everyone........ Fred (sourkraut)

A very nice account Fred, Thank You!!

Sounds like you guys made the most out of drawing one of these awesome Calif Antelope tags. Also sounds like you and your Son will have Memories from this hunt to last a lifetime.

Thanks Again,

Joey

Great Bucks and nice ending to your guys hunt. Congrats.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Really happy for you and your son Fred...can't wait to take a look at him in person!

Here are some pics of Fred's buck when he was still kickin':

WGI_0566_zps93c9ca5d.jpg
[/URL]

WGI_0033_zps75000f6d.jpg
[/URL]

P1020023_1_zpsff8ba02c.jpg
[/URL]

DWarcher, you had a tag too didn't you? how did your hunt go?

Amazing pic's of Fred's buck!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-13 AT 01:14PM (MST)[p]Joey,
I had a great hunt but due to many factors, some self-induced, I wasn't able to connect. Frustrating, because of the time and effort that I put into this hunt but such is archery hunting. I hunted Fred's buck for seven days of the season and this guy (and his 18 does) the other two days.

WGI_0013_zps95e49fed.jpg
[/URL]

All in all not a bad way to spend a good portion of my summer with more than enough memories to last me a long time.
-Dave

DW, looks to me from your pictures that you were very successful on your hunt, just didn't get the icing on the cake by having the meat in the freezer! Thanks and again, Nice Pic's!!

Joey

Congrats on the double--nice story and pictures too.

DWarcher--damn brotha, sorry you didn't get to have your hero shots too, but it sounds like you had a doozy of a time nonetheless.

for those of you that dont know if they should even try and build antelope points take a look at the pics in this thread it was well worth the wait.

Less water the better I have found boss when antelope hunting,especially if your archery hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom