cleft lip/palete

Hardway

Very Active Member
My wife and I were blessed yesterday with a our second little bundle of joy. We had no idea about his cleft lip and palete untill he was born. Everyone assures us it will be ok but it has been pretty tuff on my wife. We are being referred to uc san fransisco. Anybody been down this road?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Congratulations on the new baby. I am sure too, everything will work out ok. Doctors now days have tons of experience helping children with cleft lip / palete. God wouldn't have given you this challenge if you couldn't handle it.

Congratulations on the birth of your son. Cleft lip/palete is easily repaired today. Be patient and strong for all will turn out well.

Eldorado

You are going to a good Hospital too. everything will work out fine down the road, congrats on the new baby.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Congrats Cuz. As already mentioned, they can do a lot for that nowadays.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

There are great surgeons now days that can do the work. It is a pretty easy procedure, you should be in good hands. Congrats on the new baby.
WVBOWAK

Yup, same as what everyone else said. My nephew had one. Had. Surgeons did a wonderful job.

And, congrats on the boy. They are great.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Young fella at my church was born same way a few years back. He is fine now after a few surgeries. Like above posters said docs today can do grat things. Put your trust in the Good Lord and ask for his help.

Congrats, Hardway. Nothing like a brand new baby. Nothing like the lack of sleep or the crying and not knowing how to stop it. Nothing like changing diapers and having your hand slip and getting poop on your finger. I loved that! LOL Just kidding! I hope all goes well with his cleft palete. If they can do a sex change, why couldn't they fix that? I'd say you're probably going to the right hospital for both. LOL Congrats again....

Steve
Worlds Best ebayer
Great transaction, fast payment, A+++++

Congrats on the new one. Nothing really to add, my nephew had one, he is 16 now and you almost have to know that he did have one to even notice and the procedures have improved since he went through it. My sister said that one of the best things that they did was to find some people that were close to them who had experienced the same thing. I believe their doctors referred them to a couple families. They were able to talk to them ahead of the surgeries and had an idea of what to expect once you brought the baby back home. Best of luck and everything will be fine.

Congrats Hardway!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Congrat's !!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Congratulations on your new son Hardway! Every one is special and precious. You guys can handle this, no problem.

Eel

Congrats Daddy!! Concern is normal for those we love. All will work out and your son will be driving you and Mommy crazy soon finished with hugs in the end. :D

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Hardway,

Let me tell you a story. My son Adam was born 7 years ago and every thing seemed perfect. When he was 3 my wife wanted another child and poof, identical twin boys. When Adam was 5 he began to start peeing his pants and had very sudden urges that he appeared to not be able to control. Doctor said is was from the twins and wanting mom's attention. We asked them to check anyway. They found bacteria and blood in his urine. We found out that his uretur exiting his kidney was blocked and his kidney was not functioning properly and was the size of an adult kidney. After all the tests they had to reconstruct his uretur, it was about a foot to long and the size of a pencil when it is supposed to be very small. They resized it and reattached it to his kidney and bladder hoping his kidney function would came back. This was a pretty intrusive surgery and they performed it the local children's hospital. They basically had to give him a "C" section to get to his organs. All the way up to the surgery I was very angry, I couldn't figure out why this happened to such a wonderful little boy. If his kidney wouldn't respond he would not be able to play sports and he would have to be very careful his whole life.

When we checked into the hospital my perspective changed. We were on the same floor as all of the children with cancer. Some of them had been there over a year. It was clear that some of the families were just waiting for the worst to happen, just horrible. I knew that Adam was going home with me no matter what, we were about the only ones around that knew that.

In the end the doctor did an amazing job and he has 50% function in his right kidney so his kidneys basically work at 75 and 25 percent. He will have to wear protection when playing sports but you would never know he had issues with his kidney. He has to be tested every six months but I will take it.

I guess I am saying that sometimes it seems to be the absolute worst news out there, but in the end you have your child and your family. That's what I am thankful for. Tell your wife it will be alright and your son will be absolutely fine in the end.

Rich

"It was clear that some of the families were just waiting for the worst to happen, just horrible. I knew that Adam was going home with me no matter what, we were about the only ones around that knew that".

Very well said. Your story gives a-lot of us something to think about.

Congrat's Hardaway!

LostinOregon:

What a great post! I had a similiar experience(s) when I have taken my son to Shriners hospital for some on going health related issues. After seeing some of the things, some of the things that those kids are going through, sure gave me a different perspective on life.

Our children and families are truly our greatest gift!

Congrats on the new baby! Can't add to the encouragement others have given. He will be just fine and you and your wife will be stronger as a result.

Congrats on the new addition. With all the advancements and technology you won't have to even worry about scars. A lot of people will say that the lord tests us with things like this, though that may be true, I feel as if its something that just happens and the lord let's us involve him in getting through it.

It was a big bodied 2 point. (this is my signature)

Congrats on the new son!
As far as UCSF Hospital is concerened, it's the "best"! I have to visit them once a month for a clinical trial cancer program that I'm in.

A cleft lip hasn't seem to have impacted Tom Brokaw, Cheech Marin, Joaquin Phoenix, Jesse Jackson, or Peyton Manning. Your kid will be just fine man. Just dont let him turn into Jesse Jackson.

Congrats Hardway! We just had our third kid, another son, about a month ago. My oldest boy has asthma, which a good friend of mine's daughter died from a few years back. It's worrisome thinking about their health, but like LostInOregon said, you must keep it in perspective. I'm sure your son and family will come out perfect and stronger in the end. Once again, congrats on little Hardway Jr.!

Thank you all for the thoughts and kind words. We made the 3hr trip to that hell hole also known as San Fransisco today :) Better news than we had hoped... still needs 3-4 surgeries in the next 3 years but the outlook is good. I'm soooo thankfull its something that can be fixed, like said earlier there are alot worse things that could have happened and my wife and I are counting our blessings as we speak. Merry Christmas to ya all... Ryan.

His eyes,ears,nose & Trigger Finger are all fine!

He's gonna be OK!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom