Co archery muley

mnhunter102

Hey all. I'm headed to CO this year to chase velvet in an area I've never been before. Have a general area narrowed down to a large ridge that's a few miles long between two peaks. That rifge runs mostly north and south. On both the west and east side have great looking basins from e-scouting. My question is, which side would you guys focus more on, and why? East side basins, or west side basins

Well, when stalking deer there's a couple helpful things...

1)Generally, moving with the sun at your back early is best, rather than towards the sun.
2)Moving in above the animal is generally best when thermals are pushing the air upwards against the face of the mountain.
3)Below the animal if cold air is moving down the mountainfavce.
4)Its generally easier to see deer out in the sunlight than in the shadows.

Ultimately, just get high (its CO afterall ?) and glass those basins you've found...

Agree with what’s been said above. I would have multiple basins picked out and glass each one until you find a buck you want to go after. I was in Colorado elk hunting this last season and spent a lot of time glassing the first week of archery in a unit that’s considered a good deer unit and there weren’t deer in every basin. Need to cover country with your legs and glass until you find the bucks.

Whichever has a buck I wanna shoot in it. While I have picked up a thing of two from google earth, the most important thing I’ve learned from it is that **** never looks the way it did on google earth, and the critters usually aren’t anywhere close to where you think they should be when you’re looking at google earth in your underwear in March.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom