CO deer wilderness drop camp thoughts

tnvol

Hey guys! I’m dreaming about hunting next fall. My teenage son and I have a couple pref points in CO and were looking at possibly doing a wilderness drop camp hunt around Gunnison or Aspen. Does anyone have any experience with doing this type of deer hunt for 2nd rifle in Colorado? Any drop camp outfitter recommendations? PM if you like..thanks and Happy New Year and good luck in the draws!

I had great drop camp experience with Mineral Mountain Outfitters in unit 66 during the 2022 archery hunt.

I believe the Mineral Mountain crew primarily hunt 66 and 67, which would be a minimum of 11 NR points and 7 NR points, respectively, for 2nd rifle deer tags. If you have the points, I second the Mineral Mountain Outfitter referral. I've never hunted with them but the Roy family is awesome!

I also considering unit 54 for a deer hunt 2nd rifle..it doesn’t take as many points but they give out more tags..

You better prepared for some snow and nasty weather! You never know that time of year at 9,000+ elevation. The deer can also head down out of wilderness areas. Lots of country with very few scattered bucks in most wilderness country even during the summer months. Those timberline bucks generally disappear into the trees and are pretty tough to locate once they shed their velvet. You'll have to cover gobs and gobs of country to find the few scattered pockets of bucks...especially in late October/Nov. The learning curve is pretty darn high. With that said, it is gorgeous country. I would suggest a backpack scouting trip during the summer to see what you are up against. I've heard some of that countries winter ranges is getting hammered with pretty deep snow as we speak so hopefully the numbers are ok next summer/fall.

From his profile pic would seem he has some mountain winter experience! Personally, I would take a drop camp in early fall for elk over a later drop camp for deer. Deer might be too hit or miss in a low-point unit and weather could bomb. Father / son time in the mountains in September or 1st season elk would be on the money!

From my experience elk hunting which is about 4 years I’ve killed one bull with a rifle, but the couple times I went archery in September in a different state I didn’t fill a tag but it was more enjoyable than the later rifle hunt I was successful on..I’ve never hunted Colorado.. thanks for the replies from everyone. I love dreaming about hunting and putting together the pieces for next years adventures!

Lots of considerations! The 2nd rifle season is a chunk later than it has historically been in the past. Bucks tend to move down towards does as the rut sets in. Some winter rutting grounds can be 50 to 100 miles from wilderness boundaries so that shows how much further and lower bucks move from October through December. There may be a few hardcore bucks left at that elevation but boy you’ll have your work cut out for you in late Oct/Nov in wilderness. With deep snow you will have a tough time covering much country.

You would likely have the wilderness to yourself if there is deep snow in late Oct//Nov. There are very few that brave deep snow and those type of conditions that late in the fall. Make certain that who ever packs you in will be able to get you out or you could potentially get stranded if there is deep snow that shuts off roads well below trailheads. Some years obviously have more deep snow than others. I would have a backup plan if it’s an early winter in wilderness!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom