CO elk muzzle loader numbers

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
Looking at the total tags given for this years Statewide muzzleloader hunt is somewhat puzzling. Since 2006 the tags issued were over 6000. They have been steadily declineing since then and now are down to about 3500. I called them today to find out why and I didn't get any knowledgable answers other than "I think maybe it's because...." then a bunch of guesses as to why this could be. Like because the high winter kill and the good harvest might have been important reasons. Excuse me but everything I'd read said the harvest was down. Statewide has a huge number of areas so it's not likely winter kill would be the problems either. Total applicants were down as expected likely due to the economy but with the drop in tags, the odds with 0 pts stayed about the same. I'm obviously dissappointed that I didn't draw and can't seem to find out any real answers from DOW why they keep dropping the tag numbers significantly the last 4 years in a row. Anyone know of any specific person to talk to at DOW that can provide some insight? Not that it matters but I'd just like to know why they keep "pushing" more hunters into the OTC seasons. Seems like it very well know that the biggest complaint is overcrowding, but they seem to really ignore that issue as long as the revenue is not impacted.
Now that that's off my chest, I'll be waiting for my unsuccessful deer muzzy tag as well!! At least we can OTC hunt whereas some states can't.

I know that the winter of 08 put a gap in their age class of the herds. Most of the older bulls and calves and older cows didn't make it through the tough winter. The older cows that would have had calves that spring didn't and the calves that were born the year before the bad winter didn't fair well so it gives the herd about a 2 year gap with few animals in that age class.
I know in the areas in the western part of the state they are dropping tag numbers due to trying to get to a certain number of elk.
Also with more units going into draw only it will only get worse for the statewide muzzy tag. Less area = less tags.
Just my thoughts hope it helps. Bummer you didn't draw!!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

I don't know why people have to complain so much about the way Colorado does things for the hunting seasons. Just wait till it goes to an all draw and you get a tag maybe every 3 years or so. There are still lots of chances to hunt out there, so put on your big girl panties and deal with it.
I didn't draw my second cow tag either but I know that there will be another chance to go. First time in 7 years, Oh Well!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom