CO GMU 142 Pinon Canyon Antelope

ramtagless

Hello MM'ers...

If anyone has hunted Pinon Canyon (gmu 142) for antelope, I would love to trade a few emails with you. I have hunted PCMS in the past, but not for antelope. If you have hunted it (or know someone who has) a PM would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much - Andy

Never hunted the place but spent MONTHS out there. You should be in for a good hunt. The animals are spread out throught the unit. I think ive seen more lopes near the eastern sid and by the river. You say you have never hunted lopes there, how big was the Muley?

Mike

Hey Mike -

How big was the muley? Don't I wish. :) I was not patient enough to collect points for that long. I actually hunted the place for turkeys several years in a row. Keeping that under my hat crossed my mind - but I have since found a spot with a larger population of those buzzards.

Cool place isn't it? I love it there. The only thing it is missing is a free range herd of buffalo.

Do you think once the antelope get pressured they will use the P/J or maybe run up on the hog back. I am trying to guess what happens after the shooting starts.

Thanks for the response and let me know if you have any other advice. Take care...

Hey Andy ~

1st off Congratulations on drawing a great antelope tag!

I have been on pinon canyon numerous times; and have hunted it for sheep, deer, and antelope on different occasions over the years.

I will not be in pinon for antelope this year, but will be 135 right next to it, and spent all day yesterday scouting the area and saw some real nice bucks. Looks like the rain really helped out and the older 3-4 year old bucks are carrying some great mass this year. The peak of the rut ended about a week ago, and I really feel sorry for the does that are coming back into cycle as they are getting ran all over the country by 4-5 bucks each.

As for Pinon, I have NEVER seen the antelope go into the P/J's when the shooting starts. They tend to head into the flat open country where they can see you coming, but there will be some at the base of the Hogback; many on Tyrone flats, prior pond, and Joella windmill area. If you have a chance, take some time and go all the way northeast on red rock road and around cedar hills. There are not as many, but usually some very good antelope from Rouke Resivoir east along the boundry to the Ruins, and the top of Iron canyon.

It took you atleast 7 year to draw the tag, so take your time, don't get trigger happy, and you should be able to shoot a great antelope.

Good Luck...Stryker

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom