CO Gun Law Verification

TX_Diver

Heading to CO for some camping and maybe a bit of fishing in the national forest and on some BLM land this weekend. I am flying so I'll need to check a bag obviously and would prefer not to get wrapped up with TSA when I declare a firearm on the way home and they pull out a 15 round magazine...

I've looked around online and believe I'm okay on the below but want to confirm the following:

-15 round magazines (or less) are still okay in CO?
-Open carry in national forests / on BLM land while hiking, camping, fishing, etc. are all okay?

I have a resident CCW/CHL permit in a state that has reciprocity with CO if it makes a difference. Not spending much time in Denver so don't plan on getting into any situations where I'd want to carry concealed anyways.

Thanks!

I’m betting you will be fine if you leave your piece at home on a fishing trip. Probably a better chance of your plane crashing than you needing that gun on a fishing trip in Co

I don't want to comment on the legality of what you are suggesting, because I am no legal expert. I can tell you I have done what you are suggesting almost every year in Colorado and surrounding states and it never even occurred to me to ask the questions you are asking.

I am not bashing you, and suspect it is prudent to ask these questions. It just appalls me to even realize perhaps I should ask those sorts of question. I suspect this country really has fallen that far from its constitutional values.

I would probably do all of the above in any western state, save perhaps urban California. The 15 round mag probably isn't legal everywhere, I really don't know, I am too busy loading 30 round mags.

For the record, I agree it is a good idea to know the laws. The activities you are suggesting are just such a part of life in the west that it is depressing that someone has to ask. Prudent, but still depressing.

Bill

Not sure what ya need 15 rounds for?

Open carry will be cool. If I’m fishing I carry a rod and reel? You worried about people or critters?

Mainly need 15 rounds because that’s the magazine size I have and I’m not gonna buy a new mag for 4 days. Checking a bag anyways so not a huge deal.

I don’t typically carry while hunting but I don’t have to pack around a bow or rifle so why not… ?‍♂️

And to the earlier comments, I did live in CA for awhile so while there’s stuff I now take for granted at home I definitely recognize how screwed up other parts of the country are!! Sorry for you guys that have to deal with it still!

I dont personally take a gun with me on a hiking/fishing trip in Colorado. That said, my wife has a CCW license and she takes her pistol in every restaurant and Walmart we go into in Colorado. As incidents in Texas and Colorado show, it’s good if good people are armed. AND, she personally has fear of bears and mountain lions, so she carries her 40 cal any time we go into the woods. Sure she is safer in the woods than she is driving there, but she FEELS safer with the gun. I like her to feel safe, and it is her right to carry one.

Nuff said.

I dont personally take a gun with me on a hiking/fishing trip in Colorado. That said, my wife has a CCW license and she takes her pistol in every restaurant and Walmart we go into in Colorado. As incidents in Texas and Colorado show, it’s good if good people are armed. AND, she personally has fear of bears and mountain lions, so she carries her 40 cal any time we go into the woods. Sure she is safer in the woods than she is driving there, but she FEELS safer with the gun. I like her to feel safe, and it is her right to carry one.

Nuff said.

I hear some of the forests have a saint bernard problem too... lol.

But yes. Statistically the national forest is probably much safer than driving there!

City of Denver has a 10 round ordnance.

I wouldn't worry about it as TSA is not likely to enforce the city of Denver laws.

Most cops think that the above is BS. Most Sheriff's think that the above is BS and has said that they won't enforce it (those are rural sheriffs).

I would carry in the forest (not that I do). But, CO has wolves, Mountain Lions, bears and other critters that might try to gnaw on you.

7049F122-CB5A-42CF-97F1-2E9D8533241C.jpeg
B501D3AF-690B-4D72-8C3E-B1A747BBC015.jpeg

Both taken near where my Colorado cabin is. Notice both pics are in daylight. Had a friend get stalked by one once. And all he has was his bow and arrow. ?

I have never personally seen a cougar in the field. But I can say that one has most assuredly has seen me!

View attachment 82961View attachment 82960
Both taken near where my Colorado cabin is. Notice both pics are in daylight. Had a friend get stalked by one once. And all he has was his bow and arrow. ?

I have never personally seen a cougar in the field. But I can say that one has most assuredly has seen me!
Lol tx, let me post up the bear pix too. I sit on that porch sometimes and I never carry. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 82961View attachment 82960

I have been (or believe I have been) stalked before. CA of all places. Was coyote hunting a place in CA and kept hearing the slightest rustling in the brush behind me for a minute or so. Couldn't see anything. 30 seconds later the cattle spook. I was only about 1/4 mile from the truck but I walked backwards the first 100 yards with my rifle in hand haha. There had been a few recent sightings and many more sightings after that. Have a pic somewhere of one that dragged a nice blacktail up a tree!

Saw one in TX one night hog hunting. Pretty rare down there. The ranch owner didn't believe me and as soon as I gave him the NV to confirm he saw it, confirmed, and it walked off. They were pretty rare in that part of TX so it was kinda cool to see.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom