CO Ram Success!

P

Pointer

I just got out late last night, and I'm very proud to say I got my ram. I'm still running around taking care of some the details and chores, but wanted to post a quick picture. I still could use about 15 more hours of sleep, but I'll see if I can post more pictures and the story soon.

Here's my ram!
DSCN2496.jpg

What a gorgeous animal. Big time congrats and can't wait to hear the story and see a few more pics.

Great looking Ram and congrats to you on the success and will be wainting for more pictures and story to follow.

Brian

Nice looking Ram. I think I am going to start building bonus points for Bighorn Sheep. That would be a sweet looking mount on the wall.

You did it! Amen!!!!! That is a great looking Ram! Marriage, A Goat & A Ram in the same year. Pointer you are going to have a tough time topping a year like that. Congrats! I can't wait to hear the story of the hunt.

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Hey guys, thanks for all the nice comments. Hiker - you are definitely right, it's going to be very hard to top this year - God's been good to me.

OK, here's the story. The night before the my season opened, I didn't see a single sheep while glassing. A little discouraging. Opening morning was much of the same. I kept moving and glassing, but didn't see a thing until about noon. I was up pretty high glassing down towards treeline, and the wind was really picking up. I decided to move further down the ridge to try to get out of the wind a bit. As I moved down the ridge, I realized there were 15 ewes bedded directly below where I was just glassing from. I couldn't see them because of the rock outcropping I was sitting on. I found it amusing that they were right under my nose and I didn't see them. A view while glassing:

DSCN2473.jpg

Later that afternoon, I saw two 1/2 curl rams and a younger 3/4 curl ram. I decided not to pursue them since it was only the first day, and hoped I could find one of the bigger rams I had seen while scouting. Didn't see another sheep that evening. Long, long walk back to camp.

Day two - started off slow again. Spotted about 6 ewes and 2 or 3 small rams in a group at mid morning. Then I heard a shot ring out from the area I was planning on heading to next. Revised my plans and worked my way back to the place I spent the previous afternoon. This time I saw 3 rams that were all about 3/4 curl, but they were quite a ways off. One of the 3 was a bigger, darker colored ram. Just like my mountain goat hunt, I had decided to bring my bow for the first few days of this hunt to see if I could make it happen even though I had a rifle tag. I made a plan for a stalk, and began working my way down towards the feeding rams. I closed the distance to roughly 300 yards when they started getting nervous. They kept looking downhill, but I was straight sideways from them. I wasn't sure if they were getting wind of me, or if there was actually something below them making them nervous. They started walking towards me, and I thought - perfect. Then they stopped, started trotting away, and then it turned into an all out run until they vanished into the trees. I never figured out what spooked them. Tonight it was an even longer walk back to camp. I don't think my legs every fully recovered from my mountain goat hunt, I was feeling pretty tired already.

Day three - decided to change areas, and decided to take my rifle today. Went to a place where I saw rams pretty regularly in the summer, but hadn't seen them in the last few scouting trips I had made. Got up to my glassing area at dawn, here's a picture of the sunrise:

DSCN2479.jpg

Unfortunately there was another guy near there. He was helping a friend who had a tag, and they had spotted a group of rams the night before. His friend was getting in position, and he was going to try to flag him into range if the rams showed up in the same area. I was a bit bummed, wishing I had gone there the night before. I moved down the ridge a ways to glass in another area. I spotted some sheep a good distance away, but it was too early to get a good look, and they were right on the edge of the trees. I figured I didn't have anything to lose since the guys I ran into had the other side of the drainage covered. I started hiking their way, and heard a shot from the other side of the drainage. I assumed the other hunter got one of the rams. During my hike, I lost sight of the sheep for nearly an hour due to the terrain. When I got to a point where I could see better, they were still there, but I could see they were only ewes and a couple of half curls. I glassed from there for a while, but didn't see anything else appear. I moved back towards where I had started from that morning, and spotted a group of sheep a long way away. With my scope on full power, I could just make out they were rams. I watched them for a little while to determine which direction they were moving, and made a guess as to where they might bed. I took off hiking, and decided to stay high on the ridge and get past the rams so I could come up from downwind of them. After 30 minutes, I could no longer see where they were feeding. It took me 3 more hours to hike to the general location. I came down a shoulder of the ridge, and the wind was right in my face like I had hoped. I covered the last 500 yards to the treeline in slow motion. Worked my way along the edge of the trees one step at a time. I got to where I thought the rams might bed, and nothing. I saw a rock outcropping, and worked my way down to it. While on the rock outcropping, I had a good view of the area where the rams had been, and where I thought they were moving to. Still nothing. I sat down on the rock to contemplate my next move. It was 3 pm at this point. I decided I would hike down to a small creek, and come up the other side to see if I could spot the rams bedded somewhere, and if not, start the long, long hike back. As I started down, I slipped on the loose rocks, and suddenly 10 rams jumped up about 50 yards away! They had been bedded directly below me when I was on the rock outcropping! I can only imagine if someone was watching from the other side of the drainage, they would have been dying laughing as I scratched my head wondering where the rams where, and they were within a stones throw away.

The way the rams took off, none of them looked at me. I had a split second pause where I thought I blew it, but then decided to sprint the last 20 yards to the thick trees near the creek. I slid into the trees, and peered back through the branches. The rams had stopped, and were looking back towards where I slipped. I was pretty sure they had never seen me, only heard the noise. I ranged them at just over 200 yards, but they were grouped up and I couldn't risk a shot. Then they ran a bit further down, and I saw them stop again. I dropped down to the creek, and started quickly moving down towards them. I worked my way to the edge of the trees, and they were still in the same place, looking back at where they ran from. I was too far away, so I dropped back to the creek and ran another couple hundred yards further. I crept to the edge of the trees, and spotted the rams again. Much closer, but I didn't have a clear shot because of the trees. I crawled along until I had an opening, and set up there. I ranged them at 118 yards. The rams were all bunched up, so I had a chance to look them over since I couldn't shoot. There were 2 bigger ones in the group, and the rest were smaller 1/2 to 3/4 curl rams. I was hoping one of the two bigger ones would give me a shot. The bigger of the two turned broadside and stepped out from the group, but one of the smaller ones did the same thing and was just barely in the way. The other big ram started walking up hill, and I could see the group getting ready to move. The smaller one turned out of the way, and I had a clear shot at the big ram. I paused to catch my breath - and boom! The rams scattered and I lost them right away because of the trees I was in. I jumped through the branches but they were already gone. I waited about 1 minute, and couldn't stand it. I went up the side of the hill to look for blood, and my ram was laying about 30 yards from where I shot him. Perfect shot, right through the heart. I couldn't believe it! I was completely floored that I had done it. It was an amazing feeling, I'll never forget it. And what a beautiful animal, big body, create color, and great mass on the horns. His left horn had a pretty good chunk out of it from some serious head butting.

Here are a few more pictures of my ram, you can see the chunk out of the horn in the first one:

DSCN2490_1.jpg

DSCN2494.jpg

It took me 4.5 hours to get back that night. I was excited, but exhausted. Slept in until 7:30 the next morning to hopefully let my body recover a little. Started the long day of getting him out of there. At 7:15 pm, I was getting ready to take off with the last load.

DSCN2509.jpg

It was good timing, because the wind was picking up and the clouds and snow were starting to blow over the peaks towards me.

DSCN2506.jpg

I thought the last trip was going to do me in. I could barely move my legs, and my back was killing me. 4 hours of hiking in the dark, and I finally saw the lights of my truck reflecting back at me in my head lamp. 11:30 pm and I thought I was done. Loaded up my truck, and started my way home. Clipped a rock, and it flipped up under my truck and got wedged under there. My front left tire was off the ground, and I was stuck! Ended up having to jack my truck up off the rock, and pull the rock out. I went to lower the jack, and a bolt in the jack sheared off and the jack collapsed! My truck came crashing down and the side mirror hit me in the back left shoulder. I ended up on my face in the dirt, and I thought - sheep hunters are crazy! I was so tired and battered at that point, I think I could have slept there. Ended up with a bent driveshaft, and couldn't get my truck in park. Limped my truck home and then limped myself in the door somewhere just before 2 a.m.

Sorry that's the story. Hope it wasn't too long.

Great story and ram. Thanks for taking us along for the adventure through your words.

Awesome!!! The kind of season most people will dream about, but never fulfill. Way to make to most of it!!!

that is a great ram!! You are indeed a lucky man! Congrats Man!! You'll cherish a sheep like that forever..

Dave you need a hunting partner!!
You'll look back on that day and laugh, if you havent already!
Great pictures!!
HAve you scored him yet!?!
Now the pressure is on for that buck tag!
Rest those legs!
How does the wife think of this one?
Jeff

Great Ram for sure DIY hunt is the topping on the cake, Sometime you have to wonder after taking a beating like that why hunting is so much fun, I loved the pictures of the area it looks like it was a tough hunt every day.

Thanks everyone for the congrats and nice words about my ram. I'm still incredibly excited to have gotten so lucky. A great adventure, that's for sure.

Earthman - yes it was a solo hunt, and yes - I will be getting my new bride a great Christmas gift. She's been very supportive and understanding, I'm a lucky guy.

Jeff - yeah, I sure could have used some help on this one. Would have been nice to have someone flagging me so I wasn't sitting right on top of them without knowing it (although that definitely makes me laugh thinking about it). And I certainly could have used help packing him out. I tried scoring him, and I'm ended up at around 163 - 165. The chunk out of his left horn falls in one of the mass measurements, so I think I lose a bit there, but I'm not real concerned about it. I'll have to ask the taxidermist to try scoring it for me. My wife said she thinks the mountain goat was prettier, but I think she was impressed how big this guy was. I'll let you know if I complete the sweep with my deer tag.

Thanks again everyone-
Pointer

Pointer
For some reason I couldn't get your pictures until today and WOW! is the only word that comes to mind. Your Ram and story are very impressive, although hunting by yourself in that country looks a little dangerous. I killed a bighorn in Wyoming two years ago and I am still reliving that memory. Congratulations! Great Ram---Great story! You'll never top this year unless you are one lucky dude!

Color me jealous! That is my dream hunt/animal - by far.

That is exactly what kind of ram I want, horn shape etc, and even in the state I want to take him in!

Well done, great pics, great story, great ram, great hunt, made my morning. Thanks!

By far if I can draw a tag (got 4 weighted points) I cannot imagine a more perfect hunt as yours!

I very seldom post but I have to make an exception. This is one of the best hunting stories I've ever read. Great photos as well. My wife and I both laughed our tails off with the near death experience at the end of your story. If you have time you might want to submit this to one of the larger magazines just for grins. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who would enjoy reading your story.
Congratulations on your ram. He is beautiful. A real trophy in anyones book.
Sounds like you saw a lot of sheep. I would love to know the unit if you don't mind sharing if Fish and Game issues any non-resident tags there. You can P.M. if you like, if not, I understand. Congratualtions again on your great hunt.
-Panhandle-

Glad you liked the story Panhandle, and thanks for the congrats on my hunt. It was very tough, but very rewarding. I'm still recovering! It's a good thing I can look back at the truck mishap and laugh now too, it was a close call. I'll shoot you a PM.
Pointer

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-06 AT 01:21PM (MST)[p]Awesome story,Superb photos!....
Truly a once in a lifetime hunt!
Heartfelt congratulations go out to you...
What is truly outstanding is that you showed that a good outdoorsman can come away with a superb trophy without spending thousands on guides.
Great Job Man.

appl.gif

Thanks Harry!
I just read your AZ elk story, and you definitely showed you can come away with a true trophy without a guide as well. Great bull, and a great story as well. Sounds like you put together a great stalk, and you sure arrowed a nice bull. Your truck problems make mine seem small by comparison! Hope your insurance helps you out on this one.
Pointer

What a stud!

Congrats big time, and great story! I wish I could feel your pain right about now, along with the memories of a great sheep hunt.

Ed

I am speechless!!!
You had me glued to the computer the whole way with your story.
I dream of a hunt like this!
CONGRATULATIONS..........BIG TIME!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Lien2

Nice ram Pointer, wonder why those mountains look so familiar? I think your ram beats mine slightly. Way cool !!!! Gary

Thanks all, glad everyone likes the story. I was afraid it was too long. This is definitely not something I'll soon forget. Dream season, that's for sure.

Elkcrzy - I bet those mountains look familiar - does it bring back good memories? I think our 2 rams are going to score close to each other. What did yours end up at again - about 165? I think mine may be pretty close to that. Need to throw out a big thanks to Gary by the way. I should have mentioned earlier, he helped me with some tips on where to focus my scouting this summer. Very nice of him to give me a hand like that. Hopefully you draw a goat tag soon and I can return the favor!

Pointer

Glad I could help Pointer. Yep, those are still fond memories. Dang I love sheep. What a cool animal huh ? I just got mine back from the taxidermist....way cool !!! Gary

Pointer, if I could shake your hand I would. Congrats my man!
Heck of a story and a heck of a trophy.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Just read your story pointer. Awesome!! You had a great year! Congrats. My dream hunt to kill a big sheep.

Very nice Pointer. Great story, great self pic's and great ram. May the memories be vividly burned into your noggin' all of your day's.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom