CO S12

CDub

My brother was lucky enough to draw this sheep tag as a nonresident and hired an outfitter (Joe Boucher). We hunted hard for the first seven days of the season and just couldn't turn up a good ram. We really enjoyed hunting with Joe and learned a lot about sheep hunting from him. We couldn't have been more pleased with how hard he worked for us and his "never give up" attitude. It was easy to see why he has been so successful guiding sheep hunters over the years. He really knows sheep and works hard for his clients, not to mention the fact that he is just a fun guy to hunt with.

For whatever reason, we just couldn't find anything better than 150's type rams. We saw 20-25 rams, just nothing worthy of punching the tag for. We searched the unit top to bottom--in areas where Joe had seen and guided to sheep in the past, in areas he had seen them sporadically, and even areas he had never seen them or had never needed to check. I guess it is just one of those years where the bigger rams are difficult to locate.

Joe is going to try to squeeze us in again towards the end of the hunt after he has wrapped up his other sheep and goat hunts. We're obviously frustrated with how tough it was (that's sheep hunting) but are not ready to eat tag soup just yet.

If anyone out there has seen sheep in the unit and are willing to share info we would greatly appreciate it. My brother drew the only nonresident tag for this unit and obviously will probably never have another chance to hunt sheep in Colorado again. Thanks in advance for any replies. I posted this in the sheep forum as well.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom