CO tags reduced

Wow, a quick summary of the numbers for mule deer:

Colorado mule deer herd numbers............500,000
Colorado mule deer buck ratio..............30 bucks/100 does

All Colorado tags are limited entry, no over the counter tags.

Colorado proposed tags:

Archery buck................2,213
Archery either sex........10,000

Muzzleloader buck...........5,374
Muzzleloader antlerless.....1,270

Rifle both buck and antlerless.......60,000

Oregon mule deer numbers.................225,000
Oregon mule deer buck ratio..............12-15 bucks/100 does

Oregon Proposed tags:

Archery: mostly over the counter.....17,000 mule deer hunters in 2008.

Nuzzleloader: very few tags on limited entry

Rifle buck, all limited entry...........59,500
Rifle antlerless.........................1,200

So, Oregon, with less than half as many mule deer, and 25% of the bucks, will issue more tags than Colorado.

Any more questions about why mule deer hunting in Oregon SUCKS?

Scoutdog

First off, I'm in total agreement with the cut backs. It can only help. I think we're all on the same page here.

Ok, here's my problem with this. They make these cuts "AFTER" the drawing deadline. "IN MY OPINION" they didn't want to scare away any applicants. Think about it... how much money does the state of Co make just on the interest from tag applications? Don't be fooled, a lot! These cut backs would surely have played a factor in a good number of hunters decisions on where to hunt.

I've been going to Co for over 20 years now and will continue to (as long as someone in my family has a tag).

I just hate it when a state does something like this. They should have done this in Jan/Feb and been fair to everyone.

I know some of you will criticize me for my comments but hey, somebody's going to say it, might as well be me :)

Guys, have a good day and good luck this year!!

- Rich

Don't they still have winter weather over their after Jan/Feb? Maybe global warming is worse than I thought.Congrats Colo.

You can't have it both ways.

They could delay the application process to mid May to June 1st and then you wouldn't find out whether or not you drew until August 1st?? I am not for that!

With an April 1 application date, how can you set tag numbers if the winter is not over. There is still lots of snow in the mountains at that point. If a late snow came in and wiped out a bunch, would you want them calling you and saying, sorry, we changed our minds?

I hear what you are saying, but am pretty sure your solution wouldn't work.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON May-12-09 AT 07:05PM (MST)[p]Utah is happy with 15 bucks per 100 does. No wonder it sucks.

Oh, and twice as many tags. Utah needs to remove their heads from their Anis.

Tupenator, one other thing to consider... in Colorado you don't pay high application fees like in many states. So, if you were to apply and then suddenly they cut the numbers, you still get a refund. I think you get all of it back less $3 or something like that. So really the state doesn't have anything to gain by hiding the numbers until after the app deadline. Like others mentioned it's really only for post-winter population stats.

>Can somebody please forward this to
>the Utah Division of Wildlife
>Resources? Wow, reducing tags
>because the numbers are down.
> What a novel idea.
>
>
>It's always an adventure!!!
>www.awholelottabull.com
Please forward it to Idaho along with Oregon!
David

>Wow, a quick summary of the
>numbers for mule deer:
>
>Colorado mule deer herd numbers............500,000
>Colorado mule deer buck ratio..............30 bucks/100
>does
>
>All Colorado tags are limited entry,
>no over the counter tags.
>
>
>Colorado proposed tags:
>
>Archery buck................2,213
>Archery either sex........10,000
>
>Muzzleloader buck...........5,374
>Muzzleloader antlerless.....1,270
>
>Rifle both buck and antlerless.......60,000
>
>Oregon mule deer numbers.................225,000
>Oregon mule deer buck ratio..............12-15 bucks/100
>does
>
>Oregon Proposed tags:
>
>Archery: mostly over the counter.....17,000
>mule deer hunters in 2008.
>
>
>Nuzzleloader: very few tags on
>limited entry
>
>Rifle buck, all limited entry...........59,500
>Rifle antlerless.........................1,200
>
>So, Oregon, with less than half
>as many mule deer, and
>25% of the bucks, will
>issue more tags than Colorado.
>
>
>Any more questions about why mule
>deer hunting in Oregon SUCKS?
>
>
>Scoutdog
>

Maybe this should be forwarded on to our wonderful state of Oregon,

>They make these cuts "AFTER"
>the drawing deadline. "IN MY
>OPINION" they didn't want to
>scare away any applicants.

Your arguement makes no sense. Do you really think there would be a reduction in applicants if they showed the cuts beforehand? A guy loves to hunt mulies, but he is not even going to apply because his chances may had dropped a bit? Come on...I apply for UT every year, and that is with me pretty much having a zero change of drawing. I still try though, and I even buy the small game tag for the right to apply. Same thing goes for AZ. I don't have a snowball's chance of drawing an elk tag yet, but every year I apply, and every year I eat $150 for the general hunting tag, just to get a point.

Less tags = less hunters. Now that's my kind of hunting. I kinda wish I would have applied for a tag and not a point.

the NW section especially white river heard(12,24,25,26) has been in need of lower tag numbers for a long time. that area is proablly the most hunted area in all the west. Its a shame too because its got potential.

Like 4000 said, you apply in Colorado regardless of the amount of tags cause you need the point/points. They do charge $25.00 on top of the $3.00 if you didn't have a Colorado license the previous year. New revenue source a couple of years ago.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom