Co unit 40 Hunt!

These videos were taken on the last three days of muzzleloader season in unit 40. It was a an unreal experience to have so many big bulls around. A large amount of elk are on the border of public and private and all the water was on private so hunting was still tough even with a large amount of elk around. Sorry the video quality is not very good!!

Jerry

These videos were taken on the last three days of muzzleloader season in unit 40. It was a an unreal experience to have so many big bulls around. A large amount of elk are on the border of public and private and all the water was on private so hunting was still tough even with a large amount of elk around. Sorry the video quality is not very good!!
Enjoyed your video of elk in 40. Very fun to watch ! Some good Bulls. 😀 I've got 15 elk points & having a tough time choosing either 40 or 61 2nd season rifle. Never hunted either unit. Looking for a 350 plus bull, one chance only, never get a 2 nd. I'm 73 & running out of time to pull the trigger on a big bull. Have you hunted 61 anytime ? Just looking for experienced Hunter information. Thanks so much ! Jerry Gold in Windsor, Co 🍀🍀
E M: jerrygold@live.com

Enjoyed your video of elk in 40. Very fun to watch ! Some good Bulls. 😀 I've got 15 elk points & having a tough time choosing either 40 or 61 2nd season rifle. Never hunted either unit. Looking for a 350 plus bull, one chance only, never get a 2 nd. I'm 73 & running out of time to pull the trigger on a big bull. Have you hunted 61 anytime ? Just looking for experienced Hunter information. Thanks so much ! Jerry Gold in Windsor, Co 🍀🍀
E M: jerrygold@live.com
Jerry
I've been in 61 a bit from what I've seen and most would agree is that unit 40 holds more bulls over 350.. however 61 holds a larger number of elk and has wayyyy more public ground. second season rifle i might opt for 61 if it was a rut hunt i'd go 40

Jerry

Garvey Brothers outfitter in 61 is a class act
Thanks for the recommendation of Garvey Brothers in 61. Do they hunt 40 too ? Just wondering. I've got 15 elk points & trying to figure the odds for '21 already. For both units.
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Co 🍀🍀

coloradoman

If you want my opinion since you want a 350 type bull there is only one thing I would tell you.
Unit 40 and book it with Mike Lawson. Trophy Class Outfitters.
Don’t nickel and dime it go all in. I’ve lived in both of these units all of my life and that is the best chance you will have.
With that being said there are some awesome bulls in 61 also that I watch every summer and fall including this year but even I at 53 would struggle to get one out.

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I am a NR with 13 points. I apply for 40 evey year and should draw in a couple years. I am looking for a place to pay a tresspass fee and go diy. I do not need a place to stay I plan to camp. Ideas? I can backpack in if it matters. I have been following unit 40 for a while and understand public land is iffy.

coloradoman

I am a NR with 13 points. I apply for 40 evey year and should draw in a couple years. I am looking for a place to pay a tresspass fee and go diy. I do not need a place to stay I plan to camp. Ideas? I can backpack in if it matters. I have been following unit 40 for a while and understand public land is iffy.
Good luck on a trespass free hunt. Most of the prime areas are locked up by outfitters but I may be wrong.
I have 40 acres in P&J bordering Landlocked BLM So how much you paying me?
Lol

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I figured that, I have found a couple places but they are smaller which makes me nervous. Money is not the reason I simply prefer to hunt diy.

Plumber333

Very cool video! Was this all taken on private land? I have a 2nd season 40 bull tag! I will be heading out in a couple weeks!

Plumber333

The elk in the video were split about 50/50 on public and private..We were only hunting public and had no private we could
The elk in the video were split about 50/50 on public and private..We were only hunting public and had no private we could hunt
I will be hunting public only as well. Congrats on an awesome bull! I would be very happy with a bull like that! Fingers crossed!

Plumber333

A837A649-0B7D-44A5-9FE6-421932E41C16.jpeg

I was able to get it done 2nd season! Thanks for the video inspiration going into my hunt!

Jerry

Very nice bull !! Well deserved ! Good job ! 🎯🎯🎯🍀🍀
How many points did it take to get that tag ? I've got 15 points now & can't decide on 40 or 61 1 st rifle, not early, not enough points. I've never hunted either unit. It seems 40 has bigger bulls but Private is a big problem.What are your thoughts on that ? Any suggestions ?
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Co

Plumber333

Very nice bull !! Well deserved ! Good job ! 🎯🎯🎯🍀🍀
How many points did it take to get that tag ? I've got 15 points now & can't decide on 40 or 61 1 st rifle, not early, not enough points. I've never hunted either unit. It seems 40 has bigger bulls but Private is a big problem.What are your thoughts on that ? Any suggestions ?
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Co

I burnt 20 nonresident points to draw this tag, which is a few more points than what was needed to draw, and I have zero regrets! I had my mind set on units 40, 61, or 76. This was one of the best elk hunts I have ever been on! There is quite a bit of private, but if you can hike, it’s not that big of an issue. The quality of bulls I seen in the 2 days of scouting before season and 3 days of hunting (I filled my tag on the 3rd night of season) was fantastic in my mind. We did get some awesome weather with that snow storm and real cold weather on the 2nd day of season, which I’m sure helped. If I could do everything all over again, I wouldn’t change a thing!

Last edited:

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Hey Frugal?

What kind of Gun is that?:D

I Only know a couple of TARDS that still use them here in TARDville!

Nice Bull & Nice Job!

Elkhunter96

Very Active Member
Thanks for the recommendation of Garvey Brothers in 61. Do they hunt 40 too ? Just wondering. I've got 15 elk points & trying to figure the odds for '21 already. For both units.
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Co 🍀🍀
350 is a hard number for either of those units. I’ve hunted with Mike Lawson and also have hunted 61 With a different outfitter. 320 to 330 with a few 340 plus is more realistic for both units. They will both give you a chance at a 350 bull, but those units dont produce a lot of 350 plus bulls. Both would be very fun hunts and be a great memory.

Jerry

350 is a hard number for either of those units. I’ve hunted with Mike Lawson and also have hunted 61 With a different outfitter. 320 to 330 with a few 340 plus is more realistic for both units. They will both give you a chance at a 350 bull, but those units dont produce a lot of 350 plus bulls. Both would be very fun hunts and be a great memory.
Thanks so much for your honest appraisal ! Just what I needed.
Very helpful indeed. Lots to consider . Jerry Gold in Windsor, Co.

The_Coloradoboy

Was fortunate to hunt 40 and 61 this year. 61 first season with my brother and unit 40 3rd with my dad. Both were damn fun hunts. Honestly I find 61 to be an extremely overrated unit as far as trophy quality goes. Spent a lot of time scouting in and seen some solid bulls through the summer and September but they become extremely hard to locate after the early rifle hunt concludes. Honestly archery, muzzy and early rifle in my opinion are the time to hunt it. We took it down to the last morning on my brothers tag and killed probably one of the better bulls to be harvested the week of first rifle. Most guys were killing 5 points and small six points that were a mile off from the 300 inch mark. We only turned one bull of the same quality as him and I’d like to think I’m above average when it comes to finding elk. Where as in unit 40 I scouted the day before season, turned up 16 bulls and then turned up 33 bulls opening day, (15 to 17 of them being 300 plus and one that I had figured to be 360 plus if he wasn’t broke) and dad was done the afternoon of the first day. That being said to kill a mature on the late hunts in 40 you have better not be afraid of cliffs or a tough pack out...

Coloradoboy

EB0E84D9-5D67-4C9B-A822-139D669FC708.jpeg

198430FA-2F63-45A0-A44E-ECEF57483ABE.jpeg

77884491-26E1-4C52-B112-47B6312961F5.jpeg

21E203AB-7DA8-4FE3-B602-5E5EAD1683C3.jpeg

Was fortunate to hunt 40 and 61 this year. 61 first season with my brother and unit 40 3rd with my dad. Both were damn fun hunts. Honestly I find 61 to be an extremely overrated unit as far as trophy quality goes. Spent a lot of time scouting in and seen some solid bulls through the summer and September but they become extremely hard to locate after the early rifle hunt concludes. Honestly archery, muzzy and early rifle in my opinion are the time to hunt it. We took it down to the last morning on my brothers tag and killed probably one of the better bulls to be harvested the week of first rifle. Most guys were killing 5 points and small six points that were a mile off from the 300 inch mark. We only turned one bull of the same quality as him and I’d like to think I’m above average when it comes to finding elk. Where as in unit 40 I scouted the day before season, turned up 16 bulls and then turned up 33 bulls opening day, (15 to 17 of them being 300 plus and one that I had figured to be 360 plus if he wasn’t broke) and dad was done the afternoon of the first day. That being said to kill a mature on the late hunts in 40 you have better not be afraid of cliffs or a tough pack out...

Coloradoboy

View attachment 19733

View attachment 19734

View attachment 19735

View attachment 19736
I’d agree with you 100 percent. I’ve never hunted in 61 but have spent lots of time scouting there for shed hunting. We found way better bulls in 40 but to kill them you best lace up the boots because you arnt gonna kill one from the truck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom