Co unit 44 herds

dieseldog

So what is the general overall health of the deer and elk herds in unit 44? Has it recovered after the hard winters of 3-4years ago? I havent hunted it in about 8years or so, but looking to go back. think i am at 10or 11pp and i seem to be one point behind point creep for 3rd season deer. So looking to just hunt elk 3rd season next year. Thanks

I hunted 44 about 11 years ago. I think it takes 14 or 15 points for a 3rd season tag now. It took 4-5 points when I drew. I have heard that deer numbers are some what better than 3-4 years ago, but have a long ways to go if your comparing with quality and number of bucks 10 years ago. There are a lot of hunters sitting on 10 or 11 points. Good luck.

FYI I had a friend who hunted the second season and it was the pits. The deer were still up high. Another friend drew the third season and on Monday shot a 35" 220" trophy near one of the hermits. Another friend had a 4th season tag and ate tag soup. Couldn't find a 200" deer. So, in a nut shell...I'd prefer the 9 day third season over the others.

>FYI I had a friend who
>hunted the second season and
>it was the pits. The
>deer were still up high.
>Another friend drew the third
>season and on Monday shot
>a 35" 220" trophy near
>one of the hermits. Another
>friend had a 4th season
>tag and ate tag soup.
>Couldn't find a 200" deer.
>So, in a nut shell...I'd
>prefer the 9 day third
>season over the others.

I wonder how the Non Rez boys who returned 3 of the 5 3rd season tags tags feel about this. Lol..

Congrats to your friend sounds like a great buck.

>Hopefully not hunting fool....

YBO I have pictures of the buck on the hoof a few days before he was killed and his left side from last year. Your buddy might be interested in

>>FYI I had a friend who
>>hunted the second season and
>>it was the pits. The
>>deer were still up high.
>>Another friend drew the third
>>season and on Monday shot
>>a 35" 220" trophy near
>>one of the hermits. Another
>>friend had a 4th season
>>tag and ate tag soup.
>>Couldn't find a 200" deer.
>>So, in a nut shell...I'd
>>prefer the 9 day third
>>season over the others.
>
>I wonder how the Non Rez
>boys who returned 3 of
>the 5 3rd season tags
>tags feel about this.
>Lol..
>
>Congrats to your friend sounds like
>a great buck.
Considering how hard the hunting was over most of the western US was, we feel just fine. It'll be interesting to see how many NR points it will take to draw 44 third next year.

Colorado Boy, I will see if he is interested...hell yes he is interested. How many inches is the shed? Just wondering if he grew from last year. I suspect he did as the buck didn't appear to look like Moses. Also, a big thank you for the second season info that you willingly gave to my buddy. It was definately useful and as we all know, you can't beat mother nature! Thanks again and I/he will be in touch. Oh, I believe it will be in either Muley Crazy or Hunting Illustrated.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-14 AT 07:09AM (MST)[p]Just razzing you man!

But if you are just going to turn em for no real reason please put in for somewhere in the Gunny 4th next year. Thx!

It is great to see that the CPW came to their senses or is eliminating the idea of point banking.... Another way of putting that is you will see some boys with honestly silly totals jumping in over the next few years that were waiting to see how the banking thing played out. Oh yea I would also imagine the some big point holders have looked at the next 5 year season date structure..

Looks like 4 nr did not draw with 16 points this year so next year your friend with 17 unless he is lucky will be one behind or possibly have a small % to draw.

Hey - who knows maybe you boys will get lucky next year, hit the draw, and have the channel 4 weatherman tell ya that there will be enough snow to drop one 200" buck for each of ya - whole and live in the back of your truck so you dont have to work toooo hard for one :).

For me who knows maybe finally I will be able to talk a very good old friend to burn his points next year or the year after and will be joining you guys on the hill.

Congrats again to your friend ybo as it sounds like a great deer - it will be fun to see the buck. I am sure Coboy knows better than anyone but I heard of 3 other bucks that were over the golden mark that came out of the early (pre - 4th) seasons.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom