CO unit 44 questions

YBO

Long Time Member
With 24-25 nr points would you apply for the 7 day third season or the 5 day 4th season? I'm leaning third season. Is their a worthwhile outfitter in 44? Thanks

Honestly in my opinion and experience in 44 is that the true giants don’t peak their heads out until late in to November . Majority of the time the bucks I’ve seen/help harvest with Governors tags don’t appear on the winter range until the 18th to 20th of November. Having only 5 days sucks, but if I had the points to do so I’d probably be lining up to go as late as possible.

Coloradoboy

This is a 3rd season buck my good friend killed a couple years back. We had no weather to speak of, got super lucky on day 4 with this guy. If I had the points I would try for the 4th season.

2015 Colorado 003.jpg

The later the better in 44. The crazy thing is I wouldn't put all your eggs into drawing 4th even with 25 points this year.

The later the better in 44. The crazy thing is I wouldn't put all your eggs into drawing 4th even with 25 points this year.

If you have a giant or bust mentality I would...there’s is a reason the Governors tags are majority of time taken in 44. And with a 4th season tag this year you are hunting during the time frame when these bucks have historically been taken... not a fan what so ever of what Colorado is about to do to the deer herd but if you want to go out with a giant this about the best way to do it at this point in time...

Last time I hunted 44 fourth with LO many years ago, I couldnt find a 200" deer. Several 190 plus, but nothing bigger. Tag soup...no biggie. Ate tag many times. Without mentioning traditional hot spots, did any of you guys see any 200" plus deer last year? Yes, 25 probably wont do it, but the seasons will never be this late again.
Outfitters?

I’ve personally seen 2 this year alive on the winter range... as far as Outfitters go Gypsum Creek Outfitters is about the only one I know or having permit in that general area.

Coloradoboy

Hi All,
Thoughts on how many points it will take to be guaranteed to draw Non res 44 4th? 26 points?? Looking at last year and all the point savers (like me) it is hard to predict. How about 44 3rd?? Wondering about switching to Gunn Basin for a safe r4th season bet. Thx!

YBO...I think you have a better chance at locking a 3rd season tag. With the season dates, I would still feel pretty good with this tag.

Weather can make or break just about every unit in Colo! It's impossible to predict what's going to happen with weather next year during each of the seasons. There tend to be more mature bucks that appear later into the season but if the weather is warm and dry it may not help.

I really think draw odds are going to leap in all units and rifle seasons across the board. Units with few tags will likely leap more than those with a lot of tags. Nonres pts will likely leap more than res pts.

I looked up Non Res 44 odds in 2020 with 24 points. 1 in 3 drew with 21 points in the 3rd and 1 in 4 drew with 24 points in the 4th according to Go Hunt.

Wtf are you talking about? I live in Kalifornicated not Colorado Mr. Lahey. You must have me confused with someone else.

I’ve got 2 pts. Thinking about spending them on a 44 muzzy hunt. Tell me I’m stupid 😁
If there is lead in the air there is hope, give her hell, but let’s be real it is a low point unit for a reason, only a few years back it was a leftover tag. Lots of stuff isn’t left over since there is an absurd amount of interest in western hunting, but it’s a very difficult hunt even for guys who really know the unit, so do with that what you will

Last edited:
I’ve got 2 pts. Thinking about spending them on a 44 muzzy hunt. Tell me I’m stupid 😁
If you can get over there and scout and find a taker buck to focus on, it could be fun. There are big bucks in the unit every year, whether it's September or November. The does and snow just help pull them out into the open more.

From what information I’ve gathered on the unit there isn’t whole lot of glassable country up high, which is probably why it’s so good in the later seasons when they come down
A portion of deer that end up in 44 in November aren’t resident deer. The resident deer don’t typically live up high and the mature bucks are awful ghostly in the timber majority of the year.

There is a reason the governors tag holders have been hunting the golf course and neighborhood bucks around there the last few years.

If they could find them elsewhere, they would.

Cowboy's post #33 is right on the money!

As mentioned, the density of deer in 44 is a chunk lower during the early seasons and prior to deep snow moving them down to the winter range. The area and units they migrate from is extremely vast and encompasses a number of other surrounding units. Some of the areas where some of the whopper governor bucks are shot is private land where they are safe year-round.

There are several other considerations that make it tougher for hunting public land in 44. For one, it is an OTC elk unit. The number of elk hunters is extreme during archery through the rifle seasons. There is also a lot of deep, dark timber where they can hang out prior to the rut.

Unfortunately, 44 is a prime example of later rifle rut season dates culling older age class bucks during late rifle season dates when it is fairly likely that snow has brought these bucks to lower elevation winter ranges where they get hammered hard. It doesn't take many years hunting bucks so late to highly impact the quality and age class of mature bucks.

Obviously, resident old age class bucks that live on lightly hunted exclusive private land year-round are fairly safe. However, the total number of monster muley bucks is still lower on private land since there are fewer other bucks that move into these areas from outside areas.

With that said, there are fewer and fewer MM bucks available each year that late rifle rut season dates exist. Yes, there may be a whopper but boy you are going to need to cover a gob of country and have a lot of luck....especially early the early season dates and years without deep snow, warm weather, and unfavorable conditions.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom