CO Unit 61 3rd season deer

Land Hunter

My dad is 78 and feels this will be his last season hunting deer in CO. We're considering unit 61 3rd season which took 15 NR points last year. My concern is that the success rate has been hovering in the 50-60% range. Much lower than most units that require less points. I've heard it's pretty thick country but there is a burn area. Has anyone hunted 61 in the last few years? Is it a good option for 16 points? We tried for unit 55 last year but point creep got us.

I think there are other units that are better options than 61 for the points it takes. I’ll send you a PM

Also, the success percentages are skewed. I think in all the years I’ve hunted Colorado, I’ve done one survey. Know many guys that’s have never done one. Not sure how they can get remotely accurate data without asking every tag holder.

I spent 3 weeks in 61 last fall, camped on top , I covered many miles of ground and glassed a huge area, overall saw very few bucks worth the points . Only one over 180 plus in the whole time . The burn areas are like a jungle and really tough to hunt . I think there are better areas to hunt . I like 551 east of Gunnison , It has some really nice country to hunt from low to high ground and some dandy bucks in my opinion . Good luck on your venture.

My dad is 78 and feels this will be his last season hunting deer in CO. We're considering unit 61 3rd season which took 15 NR points last year. My concern is that the success rate has been hovering in the 50-60% range. Much lower than most units that require less points. I've heard it's pretty thick country but there is a burn area. Has anyone hunted 61 in the last few years? Is it a good option for 16 points? We tried for unit 55 last year but point creep got us.
My dad died in 2017. We spent a lifetime hunting together. I wish I would have known when his last hunt was going to take place. I would have done so many things different. I would have spent more time hunting with or near him instead of on my own like we have always done. I would have stayed up at night around the camp fire visiting with him instead of getting to bed early just so I could get up early and harvest a now meaningless animal. I would have talked him into going a day or two earlier and staying a day or two later than normal. I wish I had just one more camp fire with him.

My advice would be whatever you decide make it more about the adventure and the family than about the hunt and the harvest. You guys have probably killed a lifetime of animals, if you get one that’s just icing on the cake. Enjoy each other’s company wherever you’re at, don’t have any regrets like me. Good luck to you and your father.

I think there are other units that are better options than 61 for the points it takes. I’ll send you a PM

Also, the success percentages are skewed. I think in all the years I’ve hunted Colorado, I’ve done one survey. Know many guys that’s have never done one. Not sure how they can get remotely accurate data without asking every tag holder.
Thx!

My dad died in 2017. We spent a lifetime hunting together. I wish I would have known when his last hunt was going to take place. I would have done so many things different. I would have spent more time hunting with or near him instead of on my own like we have always done. I would have stayed up at night around the camp fire visiting with him instead of getting to bed early just so I could get up early and harvest a now meaningless animal. I would have talked him into going a day or two earlier and staying a day or two later than normal. I wish I had just one more camp fire with him.

My advice would be whatever you decide make it more about the adventure and the family than about the hunt and the harvest. You guys have probably killed a lifetime of animals, if you get one that’s just icing on the cake. Enjoy each other’s company wherever you’re at, don’t have any regrets like me. Good luck to you and your father.
I agree, thx!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom