CO UNIT 71,74,75,77,78 ELK

trophyfever

HI,
friends heading for sw colorado for third season bull elk rifle.never hunted there before, well equipped, but no horses, appreciate any suggestions which area might be best change at elk and bear? also, know of any rv parks for 5th wheel during the hunt. think alot are closed for winter. hope it snows though.

thankyou

That is an awfully broad area you are asking about. You gotta give us more to go on by narrowing the area down to less than the entire southwest part of the state. Where are some specific areas you are considering?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

HI,
THANKS FOR RESPONDING-
YES-THAT WASNT TOO SMART-

NOT SURE WHICH UNITS THESE AREAS ARE IN BUT MUST CHECK IT OUT.

I WAS TOLD TODAY BY A FOREST RANGER THAT RICO, PIEDRA RIVER, COULD BE GOOD. IF THE WEATHER GETS BAD, THEN THE MIGRATION WILL START BUT WHERE THE ELK WILL MOVE DOWN-WHO KNOWS?

HE SAID TO BE CAREFUL OF THE WEATHER CAUSE ROADS CAN BE PRETTY BAD. ALSO THAT LAST WEEK, TOURISTS WERE UP NEAR SILVERTON LOOKING AT THE CHANGE IN COLORS IN THE FALL, AND THEY SAY LOTS OF ELK AND COUPLE OF BEARS. THAT SEEMS TOO HIGH FOR THE THIRD SEASON.

ANYWAY, ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE HELPFUL.

THANKS AGAIN

Many times, bears will be pretty dormant by 3rd season, so not sure I would get a bear tag if I were hunting then. I have heard the Piedra river area has elk but never been there. The Rico area (area from Dolores to Lizard head pass) holds lots of elk, but it does get lots of hunters. I know there is an RV park in Dolores and seems like some further north. You might check with Circle K ranch or Preist Gulch campground. They may have some hook ups and are in a good area. Pretty much any drainage on either side of the road are good elk areas, but as with anywhere you have to get at least a mile off road, and have a plan to carry an elk out on your back! Where the elk will be depends on hunters and weather.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS-I'LL KEEP RESEARCHING. THOSE TWO RV CLOSE END OF OCTOBER. I WILL BE THERE ABOUT NOV 1

THANKS AGAIN,

TROPHYFEVER

Try the campground at Groundhog Reservoir in 71/711. You can hunt 71, 711 and 70 out of there. Full hookups and I believe they are still open during 3rd season.

anywhere near Durango is going to be steeper and rougher. Piedra drainage would not be advisabel without horses unless you just hunt up mountainside near start of the trail somewhere.
One of my buddies shot a bear last year third season above Mancos area.

thanks for your message-heard the bear are still around due to no snow yet but may buy tag if still available but they are unit specific, which we havn't decided yet. over hundred bulls killed last year in unit 77, third season, around the piedra.looks like we'll be going high if no snow. think that orange will be everywhere.

still gathering info. staying at cozy rv park, dolores-full facilities and open year round.

getting to high country by roads if they are open and then hoof'n it if raods are still open.

thanks again

Last year a big storm hit the day before the 3rd season. The elk were boiling out of the high country. Elk were everywhere. We killed two elk and two nice deer. I have hunted around Pagosa Springs for the last twenty years. If you have quads or side by side (no more than 48 inches wide, I think) the Piedra River gives you a lot of access where elk migrate through. There is a road going north right out of Pagosa that takes you to the base of the high country.

Sending you a pm

THATS PROBABLY WHY SO MANY ELK WERE KILLED LAST YEAR. I'VE HEARD THEY ARE STILL UP HIGH-PRAY FOR SNOW.

MY BUDDIES GOT THE QUADS IN UTAH ON A HUNT. WE'LL BE 4X4 TRUCK AND HOOFIN IT.

CALL YOU THIS WEEK,

THANKS

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom