Cody Region Big Game Biologist

excavator

My buddy and I drew a 54-2 elk tag for Wyoming this year.

Even before applying for the hunt, I tried multiple times to get in touch with the big game biologist that covers our hunt area but with no luck. I have also recently called him with no success.

In total, I have called him 6-7 times over the past six months and left messages to please return my call at least three times. In addition, the gals that answer the phone won't give out his e-mail address.

I realize the biologist(s) in this region probably receive an astronomical amount of phone calls. However, I would think the guy could find time to return my phone call or the course of a few months.

Considering the fact that I have left multiple messages over six months time period, am I asking too much that the guy give me ten minutes of his time with a return phone call? Does anybody else know how to get in touch with this guy?

Maybe I am asking too much and I just need to quite whining?

Excavator

Ex,

At least he reports to an office. Ask to speak to the office manager and explain to him that you've called 6 times. Leave messages with the secretary in an effort to at least embarrass the guy into returning your call. These guys break no speed records........but 6 months is ridiculous. Don't wait so long between leaving messages as it sends the wrong message about your urgency. Keep being polite, tho.

The bios/wardens who work outta their homes can be difficult to reach. And many of those have been downright rude when they accept or return a call after 5:00PM.

Believe me when I say this!!! I absolutely hate being nice to these plicks cuz I want info that they ARE REQUIRED to provide while I am paying their salary!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR..........

I wonder why they don't list all the biologists with their contact information on the G&F website like they do the Wardens!

I'm guessing you're talking about Doug McWhirter. I'm a resident & tried multiple times 2 yrs ago to talk to him. It was in the spring time, so no excuses about calling during hunting season. No return call or email. I eventually gave up.

You may want to try talk to Alan Osterlind. He's the chief warden in Cody now & a good guy. He knows the region over there quite well too.
Don

I know you are looking for the Bio for north part of Cody area but here is the phone number from website for the Game Warden and maybe go from them asking for the Bio's number too to make sure you have the right number.

CODY NORTH: Travis Crane 307-587-4304

CODY GAME WARDEN COORDINATOR: Scott Werbelow 307-527-7125

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I agree with calling the Warden. For me I have got far greater info from the Wardens. I have yet to talk to one that hasn't helped me out a ton. Hope you have a great hunt.

DZ

Excavator,

The warden for that area is Chris Queen. I think his number is (307) 754-5290. You might put a bug in his ear to have Doug call you. My experiences with Doug have always been good in the past. I also know that he does spend time in the Cody Office as I have bumped into him there at various times. As I told you when we met last month, I would value his opinions about elk hunting in 54-2 more than I would from the warden. Chris has a habit of painting a rosy picture on every hunting opportunity in his areas.

mh

I have spoken with the warden, and I am trying to get a hold of him again to discuss a few more things.

MH - I will definitely place some stock in the opinion of the biologist if I can ever get a hold of him.

Thanks,

Excavator

The Cody office is the worst when it comes to talking to a biologist. I called back in February and was never able to get a return call form anyone.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-15 AT 06:12PM (MST)[p]Chris usually stays up in sunlight during the summer. Game and fish usually give you the number so you can get ahold of him.

Travis runs the north fork and I wouldnt ask him how to throw a stick

>Chris usually stays up in sunlight
>during the summer. Game and
>fish usually give you the
>number so you can get
>ahold of him.
>
>Travis runs the north fork and
>I wouldnt ask him how
>to throw a stick

Michael---That last comment is funny as heck and I think it definitely makes your point very well!

Is Travis a young guy that came in a couple of years ago? If so, I have always called him "Birkenstock Boy". He checked my fishing license on the North Fork wearing shorts and Birkenstocks with the famous Wyoming redshirt. It was hard not to laugh.

mh

>Is Travis a young guy that
>came in a couple of
>years ago? If so, I
>have always called him "Birkenstock
>Boy". He checked my fishing
>license on the North Fork
>wearing shorts and Birkenstocks with
>the famous Wyoming redshirt. It
>was hard not to laugh.

mh

I would like to have seen that myself and kept from laughing! I'm surprised G&F would let him wear an outfit like that while he's on duty.

Too bad the Cody office is taking a turn for the worse. Sounds like they are not a big fan of helping hunters. Not good, once attitudes like that infect your fish and game department they tend to spread over time....If something doesn't change you will end up like Cali where most the employees are overtly anti-hunting.

>Too bad the Cody office is
>taking a turn for the
>worse. Sounds like they
>are not a big fan
>of helping hunters. Not
>good, once attitudes like that
>infect your fish and game
>department they tend to spread
>over time....If something doesn't change
>you will end up like
>Cali where most the employees
>are overtly anti-hunting.

If the guy is not getting back with people within a reasonable time period, I'd be going up the ladder past the Cody people and asking some questions of his superiors in the Cheyenne Main Office so he knows he's a public servant!

Mh

He is a younger Guy. On my late season bull hunt he kept standing in the way while I was loading meat. I wished my horse would of kicked him after dealing with his crap

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-15 AT 08:24PM (MST)[p]>any experience with Joe S. in
>the northeast......

By all accounts and what I have seen of him, he is top notch.

It seems to be a growing trend with big game biologists( and not just in Wyoming) to ignore inquiries from hunters in recent years. I remember calling a bio in Colorado several years back to ask him about a deer unit. While he did give me some information, he also was pretty concerned about where I had even heard about the unit and hunt( HF; but I didn't tell him that). I got the impression that he wasn't going to give out any info if I had told him that I had learned about the unit from Huntin' Fool or Eastman's, etc.

I think a lot of these guys grow weary of fielding the questions...especially when the hunter wants to know where they can find "the big ones". With all the trophy mags and websites nowdays, I can understand their reluctance to talk with the public when all the public is concerned about is finding a trophy. That has to get old. And it's not just limited to bio's, either. Years ago, hunters were interested in hunting. Now, it seems most are interested in inches.

That said, one would think it's part of their job( or should be) to respond to the public. After all, they do make their living off of us. I'm betting if the Cheyenne office heard about your situation, that biologist would be giving you a call back...

I've talked to 4 WY bios this year. Three from the dept and one from BLM. One dept bio took a little over a week to call back, the others within a day. I spoke with every one of them for over 30 minutes. Never asked "where should I hunt" or "where would you hunt" so maybe that's why they talked. I was a little hesitant to call but in the end, as with everything related to WY hunting, it was a good experience.

I've spoken with and emailed back and forth with two different biologists in Wyoming for over a year and find them to be top-notch straight-shooters!
It's been my pleasure to have known them.
As you know, people are not all the same and neither are the biologists. I found a couple superstars and you found a dud.
Sorry for your frustration Mr excavator.
Zeke

I haven't had much luck with biologists in any state, but WY is by far the worst. they must not answer to anyone.

I've found the best information from the Hunt'in fool list of past hunters, probably the only useful service they provide anymore. and sometimes you can even get some help on forums like this one, better than public employees who just want you to go away are going to give you .

Stay thirsty my friends

My understanding is Wyoming has many less biologists on staff than my home state of Montana. I was told they accomplish alot of studies using the universities that we use full time bios for here in montana. Maybe the reduced staff is why the responses vary

I talk to Wyoming Biologists, leadership, wardens, etc. etc. all the time with no problems.

Rarely do I have to wait more than a day for a return call, most are returned within a few hours.

>I talk to Wyoming Biologists, leadership,
>wardens, etc. etc. all the
>time with no problems.
>
>Rarely do I have to wait
>more than a day for
>a return call, most are
>returned within a few hours.
>

Yeah but they won't leave you hangin' Buzz. I made sure of that...

>Problem solved. All excavator needs
>to do is call and
>tell them he's BuzzH!

That would work I can guarantee it!

Just call and say your so and so with some fancy department name and see if that works. Put a title behind your name when you call and leave a message.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-15 AT 09:16PM (MST)[p]Not to make any excuses for Doug because even though they are busy many days out of the year IMHO they should still be able to get back to people in a reasonable amount of time. I mentioned this thread to my buddy in Sheridan and he spoke very highly of Doug, saying he is a real sheep nut and was the G&F guy who checked and plugged the horns of the sheep John shot above Cody in 2003. He said Doug usually speaks at the Sheep Banquet down in Casper and Director Talbot is usually in attendance also. Doug was just awarded as the "member of the year" down there a week ago, so it sounds like he's well thought of and just needs to take some time to pass on his knowledge to those who call him as part of his job.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom