Cold Weather Boots .... What you using?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
I have crappy circulation to my feet. Anyone else have this issue? So my feet get cold on some hunt days. Just curious what boots you all have found that you think are plenty warm and pretty comfortable to hike in???

I've been using 800 gram Rockies for hunting snow. They're not the best for serious hiking though.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

Wolverine king caribou..1000 gram thinsulate light with good tread...hunting boots.com has good prices sometimes free shipping...good luck...hth

Cold weather Boots SUCK!

No Circulation SUCKS worse!

Them heavy 800-1,000 Grams of Insulation are Nice until you don't need it & your Feet SWEAT,Get Wet & then get Cold!

Then from being Wet & Damp it Lames/Raws your Ass up!

Danners sure the Hell Ain't the Boot everybody Braggs them up to be!

Averaging 2 years of just Deer & Elk Hunts with Danners & can't even Sell them used on the MM classifieds!

With Falls like this Last one we just had you could Hunt in Sandals!:D

I like the 200-400 Grams of Insulation,but as soon as you want to sit/glass for a while it ain't enough to keep your Feet warm!

I'm waitin for one more piece of technology to show up:

Boots with a Thermostat!:D

We'll need something to keep our feet warm after the LR 4,000 Yard Shot & Retrieval!:D

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

Also there is something called a " seal sock" which you can wear..I had a pair but my hunting dog got to them...also those King Caribou are 800 grams not 1000... Had good luck with them..no complaints yet...hth

Kenetrek Grizzly Packs.
They have some insulation in liners that I can change out and great soles that don't slip on ice or rock.Haven't been cold yet.

I was looking at some of those muck boot things that have a thousand grm insulation but I don't stand around or sit in below zero weather.

As long as you are not riding horses get some Neo Navigator 5 overboots and just wear them over your favorite hiking boots. My feet never get cold and i can hike in them all day. Light weight and way cheaper than new hiking boots.

I bought Kenetreks before last season. They are without a doubt the most impressive boot I've ever worn. I used them during that November cold snap and the uninsulated Kenetreks were warmer than my 800gram insulated Danners. Not even close.

Not that they are the "best" but i think these boots are worth mention and owning if you live, work, and hunt in snow country as i do. They are on the heavy side, they don't have a lot of ankle or sole support for the really rocky or steep, but they do work dependably well for a lot of us guys, at keeping our feet dry and warm, for a lot of years now.

I'll never be without a pair, similar. IMO, a "must have" boot.

2498sorel-caribou-reserve.jpg

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I don't think there is a good answer as some have mentioned. But as soon as 1 comes along it'll b a billion $ idea! If they have enough insulation to sit they make u sweat when u hike. If they're good for hiking your feet freeze when u sit.

I have the same problem with my feet and on top of that my feet sweat all the time, even when they are cold. I have tried electric socks, chemical heat packs, electric insoles, boots with 1,800 grams of thinsolite, super heavy socks, the list goes on. I havn't found a good solution yet that keeps my feet warm in Colorado during the third season.

There are 2 ways you can go.
-400-800 gram hiking boots. Such as Kenetrek Mountain extreme, Zamberlan gtx, crispi hunter, et.
- pack boots, little harder to hike in but work. Sorels, kenetrek packs, white packs, etc.
I use good socks, gators and kenetrek mountain extreme for winter hunting.
I use packs for icefishing, tree stands and such

Mike
ireviewgear.com

Cabelas has socks with an inner liner stitched in. Helps wick moisture and add warmth. They help.

Hey Kali_Mike!

Just so you know!

They don't make boots that'll keep your feet warm during Colorado's 3rd!

JUDAS!

What a Cold SOB!

>I have the same problem with
>my feet and on top
>of that my feet sweat
>all the time, even when
>they are cold. I have
>tried electric socks, chemical heat
>packs, electric insoles, boots with
>1,800 grams of thinsolite, super
>heavy socks, the list goes
>on. I havn't found a
>good solution yet that keeps
>my feet warm in Colorado
>during the third season.

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

I use the non insulated Kenetrek with good socks and gaitors . Kenetrek boots have a small toe box in med. width so , good socks are a must, i also use super feet ensoles in the green color for high arches, In snow my toes do get a little cold, but all that tells me is to start walking an stop whining

Get the insulated over boot, very light weight. On long glassing sets in cold windy condition throw a 8hr. hand warmer in first, very toasty feet. Remember to take the over boots off a couple of minutes before you hike to climatize your boots to keep snow from melting and sticking.

I use a pair of LaCrosse Mountaineers, 12" packs with 200 grams of insulation when the snow gets deeper. I didn't think they'd be comfortable to hike a bunch in, but I have no complaints.

Yeah Bess I have found that out over the last 15 years. And to make things worse, I sit a lot for long periods of time. Miserable but usually get our elk.

>Hey Kali_Mike!
>
>Just so you know!
>
>They don't make boots that'll keep
>your feet warm during Colorado's
>3rd!
>
>JUDAS!
>
>What a Cold SOB!
>
>>I have the same problem with
>>my feet and on top
>>of that my feet sweat
>>all the time, even when
>>they are cold. I have
>>tried electric socks, chemical heat
>>packs, electric insoles, boots with
>>1,800 grams of thinsolite, super
>>heavy socks, the list goes
>>on. I havn't found a
>>good solution yet that keeps
>>my feet warm in Colorado
>>during the third season.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [font
>color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

I have the same problem. In real snow and cold I have the Schnee's Hunter II which work well but they are not great for hiking. A 400 gram or so insulated hiking boot will help, my feet swet so I carry and extra set of socks and change into them in the afternoon. A pair of chemical toe warmers are a big help if your boot has enough room for them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom