Cold weather coat?

I like to use my kings camo rain coat jacket. It cuts the wind out and keeps me warm. Wool shirts also help you keep warm even when you get wet.

Wool if I'm active but if I'm sitting still I pull out my down parka.
1211nz_2011_031.jpg

9506nz_2011_040.jpg

I like to do a little layering.
Base is generally Merino Wool.
Then maybe a Wool Vest.

If I am just sitting, in very cold, I almost always have a DOWN coat.

Good luck

Layers of wool and a quality down parka. Wool retains some of its insulating properties wen wet. Down is great as long as you do not allow it to get wet. Down has no insulating value once it is wet. Even in extreme cold perspiration can lower or eliminate downs insulating properties if you over-heat. As others stated, when sitting you cannot beat quality down. When I worked in Alaska I lived in wool and down and learned to love them both!

Norkal

"INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-12 AT 01:01PM (MST)[p]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Dry-Plus174-Silent-Suede8482-Parka-150-Regular/1224708.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dopen%2Bcountry%2Bparka%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=open+country+parka&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

The best $210 you will ever spend. Windproof, waterproof. I lash it onto my pack while hiking and as soon as I start to cool down once I reach my destination, out comes my parka. I layer with synthethic base layer, blend camo layer, fleece, and then Rainsuede for a windproof outer. It has to be windchill at zero or lower to wear all layers while hiking. I also wear a synthetic beanie and Polartec gloves with ice mittens over. I eat a hearty breakfast at the start of the day and make sure to eat throughout the day as well. No clothing will keep you warm if there are no calories to stoke the internal furnace. You would be surprised how warm you can stay with just a good base layer and a windproof outer.

By the way, I would never use a "jacket" in extremely cold conditions. Always go for a "parka" because of the longer cut. It will keep you insulated when bending or sitting.

I have a stormcloth jacket with a hood and it kept me warm and toasty in Montana last year at 15 below...

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

+1 on the Storm Kloth jacket I have. Needs a layer or two under it, but it insulates very well and is waterproof. Can't hike in it at all though or I am dripping!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom