Collectable Ammo

Moosestock

Just wondering if anyone could give me any info on some ammo my Dad traded for many years ago and if it is "collectable" or has any value. An older gentleman that is a Gun guy/Gun Smith told me several years ago he thought it did and I could probably trade it for some good value at a local gun show if I desired to do so. It is 7.62 MM NATO Match ammo(M 118) from the Lake City Ammunition Plant with the year 1966 on the boxes. I have 5 sealed/unopened boxes of this ammo. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...........Les

Sorry i can't help you myself, maybe someone else...

I do collect old ammo, especially the old boxes themselves. There is quite a large group of collectors in this field. I've mostly acquired mine through chance and some field finds but there is bunches available, just the boxes, in e-bay under "ammo box". I'm not really adding to my collection in these times.

You might look through their listings to find similar to your type of item, check their other listings to get an idea of their knowledge, then contact them for referral or maybe even chance input or appraisal of your own live ammo stuff. Most people will help you if they can. Good luck!

Joey

I believe the ammo you have was introduced in 1965. It is loaded with a 173 gr FMJ at 2550 fps. It was standard issue in the M21 rifle in Viet Nam. It was known for penetrating light foilage and still performing on target. I think it was manufactured into the 80's. I am recalling info I read about military snipers and rifles some time ago, so I hope I am accurate.(no pun intended) As far as value, I haven't a clue. I'll send you a pm for more info. mtmuley

A lot of that older ammo does not appreciate as much as you would think it should. I'm sure it is worth something but probably not anything 'significant'. A lot of that military surplus salt city ammo you can still but through the Civilian Marksmenship program at a very decent price. I think some of the firearms auction sites you can probably look for similar ammunition and see what it currently bids at. Most of it has limited appeal since it was manufactured in mass quanity. That said, if what you have is odd for one reason or another it may add to the collectors value and would certainly be worth checking out.

498a6f395e505405.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom