Colorado 21 Elk hunt changes

sled_guy

So I was looking at the guide book and noticed a change to the first rifle in unit 21 so I called the DWR for clarification. The either sex tag has been changed to a "Private Land Only". The public land hunters now have to choose between either bull or cow.

That puzzles me because I've talked to the DWR officer out there the past 3 years in a row and he said that they would prefer that all the elk were gone off that area. They want it to be a deer area not an elk area and if they could they would take all the elk off.

So the change doesn't make sense. For us, we hunt it for a bull the first few days and then if we haven't seen a bull we take a cow... seems like the ideal way if you want to take as many elk off as possible.

Of course, as a friend pointed out, maybe they are hoping that people will put in first choice for bull and second for cow and that they will limit the bull tags down so that a majority of people end up with cow tags.

I don't know, just seems like a strange change to me.

sled_guy

Even though very few, then why the late season tags?

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Thanks for pointing that out and confirming the landowner property damage rumors I heard. Should hopefully relieve the DOW from issuing so many game damage vouchers taking away an excuse from the PLO's. Now the PLO's have an option to open their land up to cow harvest without receiving addtional vouchers and give or sell them vouchers. Hope it works...

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Yeah I am pretty upset about this change as well. Do any of you know how many resident and non-resident tags they will be issuing for 21/22/30/31/32? I was wondering if this change will affect the ability to draw the 4th season tag with no points or on a second choice.

That is a big read... care to summarize for me? :)

I don't hunt the whole area, just the area on the West towards Utah, but is land owner damage that bad? From what I have seen the wild horses seem to be causing quite a mess out there.

sled_guy

>There is no effort to "take
>all the elk off" the
>unit. The DAU plan
>calls for a population objective
>of 7,000-9,000 elk in the
>DAU, which consists of units
>21, 22, 30, 31 and
>32.
>
>You can read the reason that
>they changed the 1st and
>4th season tags from either-sex
>tags on page 32 of
>the document linked below.
>
>http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Commission/2011/Nov/Ch2Issues.pdf

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom