colorado 4th season, full moon question?

cantkillathing

Very Active Member
colorado 4th season, full moon question?

Do you guys think the full moon has that much effect in the 4th season. Such as harder to find a good buck or is it weather, early snow helping the hunt better?

RE: colorado 4th season, full moon question?

I wouldn't plan a hunt around the moon. I think snow and some cold weather are more crucial. I'm going 3rd season and will deal with the moon as well. The moon during my 3rd season hunt has crossed my mind, but only once.

It is my experience that many factors affect deer hunting including the moon phase, but weather is much more critical. I would also be more concerned about how late the season dates are rather than moon phase. The closer to rutting dates, the better the hunting. I killed the buck of my lifetime during a full moon, on a third season because the rut was heated up. Early weather seemed to push the bucks down and start them rutting.

There are a number of factors that may improve your chances for success. Where are you hunting and what type of terrain will you be hunting? If you are hunting an area with lots of open pj/sage country it probably won't matter as much as a unit with dense pines or oakbrush. If it is warm, full moon, crusty noisy snow it may be a nightmare.

Hunting pressure may also impact when the bucks come out of hiding. If the unit was open for OTC elk and the bucks have sensed much hunting pressure they may not join does until night...and head back to the trees by daylight. If you are lucky and there are overcast skies, cool weather, and lots of snow it likely won't matter as much.

If it were me and I had waited 15 years for a tag I would likely wait 1 more year that isn't full moon. That's just me and the unit I like to hunt that has a lot of pockets with thick, dark trees and relies on migration. If I was hunting open sage in a unit with resident deer it wouldn't matter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom