Colorado allow Crossbows?

NebrCatMan

Did not draw for elk again here in Nebraska. So will be heading to Colorado to hunt in an OTC unit. Had shoulder surgery last summer and had to pass on our fall Colorado bow hunt. Could not pull my bow. Got a cross bow now and wondering if Colorado DOW lets you use a crossbow with Dr.'s paperwork. I really don't like using a crossbow as it is heavy and bulky. But still love to be out there come bow season elk or deer. Both shoulders have pins and mesh in them. Better be safe or I'll tear them up again. So a cross bow it is!

Contact the CPW for the necessary form, then take it to your Dr. Takes awhile after you submit completed form to CPW. While U R waiting, set your crossbow up w open sights, no scopes or electronics allowed during archery season.

I am currently waiting on my permit from CO DOW and spoke with Phyliss (303-291-7403) from ADA dept that handles the permits. I hurt my shoulder and am sending for a temp permit. I asked her about scopes as my crossbow came with one and I couldn't find in the regs under crossbow section relating to scopes. Of course I might be blind! :) She said as long as it's either a 1 power or Red dot you can use it.

Ranger, thanks for posting. This is a major rule change:
?crossbow or draw-loc during archery season - these permits allow for the use of non-magnifying scopes and red dot sights that magnify 1X or less. They do NOT allow for the use of scopes with magnification greater than 1X, magnified optical aids, laser, battery or electronic powered aiming, sighting, or range-finding devices (with the exception of red dot sights).

Elkduds, where did you find that? I didn't see anything in the reg book they send yearly....hence my comment about me possibly being blind and not seeing it... :) Was it from a PDF reg files on line? Regardless...thanx for sharing that too....I want to be sure I'm legal....

Hey... thanks guys. I have pulled an application off the webb today. And I also called Pepper , a lady game warden in Colo. She confirmed the scope thing. Going to my DR. Friday. And dropping the filled out app. in the mail that day. I know some don't respect the crossbow thing. But then again some who shoot a long bow or recurve don't respect the compound thing either. To each their own. I hope as sportsman and outdoor enthusiasts we can all respect each others differences. The antis love it when we don't!!

Cat Man, how are you doing these summer days? Everything in the deep south Illinois is hitting a hundred. I will email you soon. Cow Tag

Hi Cowtag... doing ok here in Nebr. To be in the furnace next week. Heading to Colorado for bow season for elk next month. Maybe for a couple weeks this year. Hope all is well. Anxious for a pm!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom