Colorado bighorn

camo_deerslayer

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-13 AT 10:17AM (MST)[p]After 20+ days in the Colorado wilderness, my dream of harvesting a ram finally came true!! All the miles climbed, cold nights on the mountain, MRE's ate, bears/lions dealt with, snow, rain, lightning, solitude suddenly became "worth it..."
1337image.jpg

9371image.jpg

Update: Scroll down for full story....

Fantastic Animal.... Love the mass, congrats on a very fine trophy!

Thanks for sharing! I would love to hear the entire story as well!

Tallbuck1

Great Colorado ram.....sounds like you earned it. Thats the way it should be. Congrats!

PERFECT!
Congrats and thanks for sharing your success with us.
Few things will test a hunter like a sheep hunt!
Zeke

+1
In my mind, an easy sheep hunt is a travesty. They occur so infrequently you need some time to make it an experience. It does sound like your adventure was "perfect" and one you will always cherish.
Congratulations on a fine ram, and thanks for sharing.

It truly was an epic hunt...

Prior to the hunt, my "Map My Fitness" app showed that I had logged over 1600 human powered miles so far this year. I had invested a minimum of one hour per day exercising. Heading into the hunt, I felt I had made an adequate investment into fitness.

I had spent a dozen nights bivying out in the wilderness glassing for sheep as well. However, prior to the hunt I had only spotted one sheep... ONE!!! No worries, I had a month to hunt, I would find one....

Week one of the actual hunt was spent working through the southern end of my unit with two great friends in tow. We slowly covered several miles, and several drainages. Camp on our backs, we spent at least 1.5 days glassing each drainage. Nine days later, we still hadn't seen a ram... They had to go home (Kansas) and I needed to go back to work for a few days... (I also needed a SHOWER)

Week two I hiked 6 miles into the wilderness, camp on my back. I finally spotted a band of 8 rams, just as they moved over the continental divide.... The next day, I set out in search of them, to no avail. That night, it snowed about 2 feet. The next morning (snow still falling) I decided to pull out before I got snowed in. What a miserable day! It's a small miracle that I didn't break my leg trying to hike through those scree fields covered with snow... (Thank you Lord!!).

Week three, still no sheep....

Week 4. Temps are falling, as is the snow. The snow doesn't last very long, so It usually doesn't hamper my ability to get around. Nights were rough, it's COLD at 12,000+ feet at night. No heat source up there, I remember dreaming of sleeping in my camper with a heater. But, the sheep weren't by the camper, they were up here in the middle of nowhere... (Somewhere)

I finally found another band of rams with a couple of "shooters" in the bunch!!! While waiting the sheep out after a 3 hour stalk, a snow storm rolled in. No big deal, I just hunkered down under the tree to wait out the storm. During the storm, I heard a very loud rumbling (think rolling rocks) an felt the ground shake slightly... Once the storm cleared it became evident that a rock slide had occurred, right towards the timber patch where the sheep WERE. Were is the key work, they were now gone!! They left during the storm, so no visible tracks showed their route out of the drainage.

This was the low point in the hunt. Lady Luck had kicked me in the "jewels" several times now. I was depressed, cold, lonely and tired. But, this is usually a once in a lifetime tag... I had to keep going and try to outlast the bad luck.

A couple of days later I spotted four rams a couple of miles away. Two were shooters!! Off I go... When I finally arrived at the high saddle above where the rams had bedded, I found that they had left.... I suspected that they had went into the cliffs/trees around the mountain. I circled all other escape routes, no sheep... I was now certain within several hundred yards where the sheep were. Right before dark, the rams came out. I had to wait for a while for the biggest ram to give me a good shot. The 228 yard shot from my .270WSM dropped the ram upon impact. He rolled several times downhill (towards the cliff) and then GOT BACK UP!! I hammered him again, not wanting to risk him getting to the cliffs.

He slid 75 yards or so and finally came to a stop. After watching through the scope for a minute or so, I finally began to celebrate.... By "celebrate", I mean shaking, thanking God and nearly tearing up... This epic hunt was now over. I had mixed emotions, as any of you who have hunted sheep can likely relate to.

My good camera broke (bad luck was back), so I only have crappy cell phone field photos. But, that only affects you guys. I will NEVER forget the sights, sounds, etc. of that moment.

After finishing packing out the next day, I had to begin the process of working myself back into society again. I drank coffee, slept in a REAL BED, had a beer, hugged my wife and kids, talked non-stop to co-workers (I'm very social). Life at home is good!!!

But, life on the mountain is pretty special too....

You almost tear'd up? Dammit man, I did tear up!
Many of us have been through similar adventures and yours touched a nerve.
Your full story was worth the wait and much, much better than expected. (quite well written too)
I'm proud of you, you should be proud too!
Congratulations again on a fantastic adventure!
Zeke

Oh, THANK YOU!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom