Colorado buck

wallhanger

Well,

My son and I just returned from our Colorado hunt. It was freezing, but a great time nonetheless. He was as excited as I was to take this guy- our best buck as a team to date. Thanks for looking. Hopefully the picture works.

/Users/trguser/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/Colorado 07/IMG_0323.JPG

Pic didn't work, please try again. Also, give some more of the story. Why so cold - were you camping out?
Mark

Sorry about the pics. Maybe somebody could help?

A storm blew in on Saturday afternoon, and the winds kicked up pretty high. We were camped right at the edge of the national forest land as low as we could get. I'd guess around 9,500 feet. Anyway, I hadn't needed my warm boots for 8 years or so, and had no idea that the soles had basically desintegrated, so all I had for about 9" of snow were my hiking boots. Monday morning when we woke up it was 4 degrees. For a Texas guy, that's cold.

If someone can help me post the pics, I'll write up a little story to go with.

WH

Clint,
Your e-mail address is no good, send me an e-mail with the pictures as an attachment and I will post them for you.
Click on the "double envelopes" right here next to my name on this post.

Brian

Here are two pictures that "wallhanger" sent to me of their Buck, very nice Clint and by the smiles of your son and you, all are very happy which you should be, good job.
Brian
47266417287920a2.jpg

472664842aef79d9.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics for me Brian, and thanks for the responses, guys. Here's the story.

We were planning to hunt a walk-in area that morning- the fourth day of a five day hunt. We'd seen some forked horns and small bucks in the area, but not quite anything we were real excited about. The plan was to hike a couple miles in and get up on top of the mountain. Lucky for us, we never made it that far.

As we parked and grabbed our gear for the day, we started toward the first ridge. Before we took 10 steps, we saw movement on the hillside in front of us. A quick look through the binos showed that this was a buck my son and I wanted to take, and off we went. The buck knew we were there, and dropped down in the draw in front of us, heading to our left. We high-tailed it over a couple of knolls that protruded along the draw, trying to stay out of sight. After getting to the point of the draw where I thought he'd be, we crept up to the top of the knoll in front of us and peeked in- nothing. After scanning the thick sage in the draw for a few moments, I hear my son's excited voice, "there they go, dad," as he points to the top of the ridge. It was three does, but the buck wasn't with them.

As I quickly scanned the area for another deer, I caught movement to my left. This guy was sneaking right down the first shelf of the draw. I quickly chambered a shell into my Tikka 270WSM and took a seat. The buck was quartering away from us at what I guessed to be just shy of 200 yards and walking away. I settled the crosshairs behind his shoulder and tried to control my breathing. Just before he stepped down in the deepest part of the draw, I touched off. He jumped and kicked, and hunched over before he hightailed it out of there. At that point my son had already asked, "did you get him?"

I nodded that I think the shot was good, and we headed over to look for signs of a hit. As we looked around, we first found a large tuft of hair in the snow. I said to my son, "Well, we definitely hit something," I just wasn't confident how well I had hit him yet. We followed his tracks for about 15 more yards, and then found one lone speck of bright red. Then another. And another. By this time, my son had asked 11 more times if we got him. Then, in the snow we came across what appeared to be some lung. That's when I looked back at him, grinned and said, "We're in good shape." At that, his face lit up as we stayed on the trail for another 25 yards or so, and we jumped him up across the bottom of the draw. He was clearly fatally wounded, but I dropped to a knee and put another one in him to end it for him as quickly as possible.

For the first time, as we approached our downed quarry, it didn't shrink as we got closer. "He's big!" my son/guide said, and all I could do is smile. That's when the work began.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy the story.

WH

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom