Colorado CPW Commissioner Debate!

jims

Long Time Member
I usually don't get that involved in Colorado politics; however, it seems like more and more wildlife decisions made at the state level are not based on science, biology, and ecology that exists in the field. Many of these decisions also have no regard for hunters and fisherman. Here is a link to an interesting article. From what I understand, there are a number of groups that have caught wind of this.

(TELLER COUNTY, Colo.) — In a letter addressed to all state senators, Teller County commissioners urged lawmakers to vote against the latest appointees to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) Commission, expressing their concerns over the future of hunting and fishing in the state.

“Hunting and fishing is part of our heritage here in Teller County,” said Teller County Commissioner Erik Stone.

In the letter, the commissioners emphasized that they are particularly alarmed by what they perceive as an anti-hunting agenda among the appointees. They argue that the governor did not consult with hunting organizations before making these appointments, leading to a lack of representation for hunters and anglers in rural Colorado.

Stone emphasized their stance, stating, “We certainly do not wish to disparage the governor, but we do want to protect the heritage of the state of Colorado. The appointments that are being made, we don’t believe reflect Colorado.”

Governor Jared Polis appointed three new members to the CPW Commission, including Jess Beaulieu from Denver and Jack Murphy from Aurora, who represent outdoor recreation and parks utilization. Gary Skiba from Durango was appointed as a representative of sportspersons.

The call to action from Teller County joined other rural counties and hunting, fishing, and outdoor organizations that also issued letters to the State Senate, citing concerns about qualifications and potential biases.

In one letter from a coalition of wildlife organizations, they stated, “The underlying issue is not just the individual backgrounds of these nominees, which, while impressive in certain areas, lack the comprehensive experience necessary for appropriate management of parks, wildlife, and outdoor recreation. The nominees’ lack of broad recreational management experience, demonstrated objections towards holistic science-based wildlife management and the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation.”

One appointee in particular, Gary Skiba, has drawn significant scrutiny from the Teller County Commissioners. Skiba’s appointment went against recommendations from outdoor and hunting organizations, raising doubts about his advocacy for hunters and anglers.

“If those hunting opportunities are reduced, then it’s going to have a significant negative economic impact on rural areas of the state or mountainous areas of the state,” Stone said.

While Skiba did not respond to FOX21, his biography on the CPW website says he worked as a wildlife biologist for the Colorado Division of Wildlife for more than 23 years with a focus on threatened and endangered species management.

The State Senate is slated to vote on these appointees this week. If approved, the terms of the CPW Commissioners expire on July 1, 2027.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to FOX21 News Colorado.

View comments

Two of the three got a thumbs down from the committee, but they will still be voted on.

Note the exchange with Skiba (credited with being a key player in CO woof reintroduction) about whether he prescribes to the “North American model”. He said it depends.

Also some incestuous stuff about or Guv’s wife and the animal rights lawyer.

Colorado is so screwed up at this point, politics dictating and controlling our hunting heritage. I always try to stay positive but the future doesn’t look very promising as far as wildlife management goes in this state. Feel bad for the next generation. I’ve always had admiration for Wyoming and Nevada as far as how their state manages their wildlife and the people they appoint to run it and make decisions. Wish Colorado could do the same. Polis is in the process of ruining it here.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 111818.png
Screenshot 2024-03-01 111733.png

Ya. I would say you folks are in serious trouble out there in Colorado.

Call and email all of them and tell them not to confirm the two radicals!
Senate Contact List:

Jeff Bridges - Senate District 26 - 303-866-4846 - [email protected]

* Arapahoe County
*Unincorporated Cherry Creek

Cherry Hills Village
Englewood
* Four Square Mile Greenwood Village
Sheridan

* Arapahoe County
* Denver County
* Denver
* Jefferson County

Janet Buckner - Senate District 29 - 303-866-3432- [email protected]

Arapahoe County
* Aurora
* Arapahoe County

James Coleman - Senate District 33 - 303-866-4864 - [email protected]

* Denver County

* Denver

Lisa Cutter - Senate District 20 - 303-866-4859 - [email protected]

* Jefferson County
*Unincorporated
* Arvada
* Coal Creek
Dakota Ridge
Evergreen
* Fairmount
Genesee
Idledale
Indian Hills
Kittredge
* Lakewood
Morrison
* Superior
* West Pleasant View

Jessie Danielson - Senate District 22 - 303-866-4856 - [email protected]

* Jefferson County
*Unincorporated
Applewood
East Pleasant View
Edgewater
* Fairmount
Golden
Lakeside
* Lakewood
Mountain View
* West Pleasant View
Wheat Ridge

Tony Exum - Senate District 11 - 303-866-6364 - [email protected]

* El Paso County
*Unincorporated
* Cimarron Hills
* Colorado Springs
Stratmoor

Steve Fenberg - Senate District 18 - 303-866-4872- [email protected]

* Boulder County
*Unincorporated
Boulder
Gunbarrel
Louisville
Niwot
Paragon Estates
* Superior
Valmont

Rhonda Fields - Senate District 28 - 303-866-4879- [email protected]

* Adams County
*Unincorporated
* Aurora
Watkins
* Adams County
* Arapahoe County
*Unincorporated
Aetna Estates
* Aurora
Watkins

Joann Ginal - Senate District 14 - 303-866-4841 - [email protected]

* Larimer County
*Unincorporated
* Fort Collins

Julie Gonzales - Senate District 34 - 303-866-4862- [email protected]

* Denver County
* Denver

Chris Hansen - Senate District 31 - 303-866-4861 - [email protected]

* Denver County
* Denver

Nick Hinrichsen - Senate District 3 - 303-866-4878- [email protected]

Pueblo County
*Unincorporated
Avondale

Beulah Valley
Blende
Boone
Colorado City
Pueblo
Pueblo West
Rye
Salt Creek
Vineland

Sonya Jaquez Lewis - Senate District 17 - 303-866-5291 - [email protected]

* Boulder County
*Unincorporated
* Erie
Lafayette
Leyner
Longmont
* Boulder County
* Broomfield County
* Broomfield
* Broomfield County
* Weld County
*Unincorporated
Erie
Longmont
* Weld County

Chris Kolker - Senate District 16 - 303-866-4883 - [email protected]

* Arapahoe County
*Unincorporated
Bow Mar
* Centennial
Columbine
Columbine Valley
* Littleton
* Arapahoe County
* Jefferson County
*Unincorporated
Bow Mar
Columbine

Ken Caryl
* Littleton
* Jefferson County

Janice Marchman - Senate District 15 - 303-866-4853 - [email protected]

* Boulder County
*Unincorporated
Allenspark
Altona
Bark Ranch
Bonanza Mountain Estates
* Coal Creek
Crisman
Eldora
Eldorado Springs
Glendale
Gold Hill
Hidden Lake
Jamestown
Lazy Acres
Lyons
Mountain Meadows
Nederland
Pine Brook Hill
Seven Hills
St. Ann Highlands
Sugarloaf
Sunshine
Tall Timber
Ward
* Boulder County
* Larimer County
*Unincorporated
Estes Park
Laporte
Loveland
Red Feather Lakes
Wellington
* Larimer County

Dafna Michaelson Jenet - Senate District 21 - 303-866-4857 - [email protected]

* Adams County
*Unincorporated
Bennett
Berkley
Commerce City

Derby
North Washington
Sherrelwood
Strasburg
Twin Lakes
* Welby
* Westminster
* Adams County
* Arapahoe County
*Unincorporated
Bennett
Byers
Comanche Creek
Deer Trail
Peoria
Strasburg
* Arapahoe County

Kyle Mullica - Senate District 24 - 303-866-4451 - [email protected]

* Adams County
*Unincorporated
Federal Heights
* Thornton
* Todd Creek
* Welby
* Adams County

Kevin Priola - Senate District 13 - 303-866-4855 - [email protected]

* Adams County
*Unincorporated
Brighton
* Lochbuie
* Todd Creek
* Adams County
* Weld County
*Unincorporated
Aristocrat Ranchettes
Brighton
Evans
Fort Lupton
Garden City
Gilcrest
* Greeley
La Salle
Platteville
* Weld County

Robert Rodriguez - Senate District 32 - 303-866-4852 - [email protected]

* Arapahoe County
* Four Square Mile
Glendale
Holly Hills
* Arapahoe County
* Denver County
* Denver
* Denver County
* Jefferson County

Tom Sullivan - Senate District 27 - 303-866-4873 - [email protected]

* Arapahoe County
*Unincorporated
* Aurora
Brick Center
* Centennial
Dove Valley
Foxfield
Inverness
* Arapahoe County
* Douglas County
*Unincorporated
* Aurora
* Douglas County

Faith Winter - Senate District 25 - 303-866-4863 - [email protected]

* Adams County
*Unincorporated
* Northglenn
Shaw Heights
* Westminster
* Adams County
* Broomfield County
* Broomfield
* Broomfield County
* Weld County

Rachel Zenzinger - Senate District 19 - 303-866-4840 - [email protected]

* Adams County
* Arvada
* Adams County
* Jefferson County
*Unincorporated
Arvada
* Westminster
* Jefferson County

These guys are the real poachers of wildlife. I will call them green poachers. They take our money and bankrupt the working system. Theu will leave in their wake a destroyed wildlife process that’s devoid of game and broken habitat. They don’t care about wildlife, they only care that humans aren’t part of it.

Any of you nonres that are concerned about where the CPW is headed in regard to wildlife management are welcome to chime in and voice your concerns to the above senator list! This not only impacts res but also nonres!

The senators & reps involved represent their resident RES voters, not NRs. They don't care what an NR has to say about local legislation unless the NR is contributing lobbying money to the legislator's re-election.

Many Colorado residents fought hard to reduce my standard deer/elk NR allocation from 35% to 25%. Congratulations, you were successful. So now, Colorado residents can fight their commission/wolf/cat problems alone. Stop asking for NR help/money when you need it and then kick NRs in the nuts when you can.

I pay $803.39 for an NR elk tag so you can only pay $66.12 for your elk tag. And then you want more help from NRs. Seems like you got quite a bit of help already.

I guess I look at it in a totally different way. Nonres pay a large chunk of the CPW budget and support managing and improvement projects that promote wildlife.

Take a look at the grant funding that comes from nonres organizations that support wildlife such as the RMEF, mule Foundation, Bighorn Society, etc. Do you think these organizations will pull the plug if Colo has no interest? Below is example of this exact thing!

As I've stated for years, small town communities thrive off the revenue from nonres hunters and anglers. I'm certain this revenue is important to those small town community owners that vote for senators in elections?

I'm all for DIY/OYO hunters. You will have a tough time finding any past posts where I supported nonres allocation cuts in my home state of Colo. Colo also offers some of the best nonres hunting opportunities in the entire Western US even with the cuts.

Last edited:
We get so much money from NR’s that we can afford wolves and lynxeses and wolverines and stuff and STILL have tens of millions left over.

The senators & reps involved represent their resident RES voters, not NRs. They don't care what an NR has to say about local legislation unless the NR is contributing lobbying money to the legislator's re-election.

Many Colorado residents fought hard to reduce my standard deer/elk NR allocation from 35% to 25%. Congratulations, you were successful. So now, Colorado residents can fight their commission/wolf/cat problems alone. Stop asking for NR help/money when you need it and then kick NRs in the nuts when you can.

I pay $803.39 for an NR elk tag so you can only pay $66.12 for your elk tag. And then you want more help from NRs. Seems like you got quite a bit of help already.
Colorado is BY FAR the most generous western state to unguided non-residents. The fact the people still feel the need to complain about Colorado is absolutely mind boggling.

Here is an easier way to make your voice heard.

Each Western state is a little different. One area I draw the line on is when anti-hunters start getting involved with wildlife biology, management, and decision making that affects hunting and our resources. I think all of us (both res and nonres) need to unite to fight this from happening. If it happens in California or Colorado it will likely come to your neck of the woods in time. It's important that we unite rather than fight against each other as res and nonres..especially on these issues!

San Juan, Thanks for the link!

I hope every Colorado resident that reads this post submits comments in San Juans link above! It only takes a minute to complete!

Colorado is BY FAR the most generous western state to unguided non-residents. The fact the people still feel the need to complain about Colorado is absolutely mind boggling.
That may still be true. Adjust for high deer/elk population and it isn't so clear.

Nonetheless, it was Colorado residents that led the fight to cut NR deer/elk tag allocations from 35% to 25%. And then almost immediately, those same Colorado residents turn around and BEG NRs for money to fight Prop 91/101 (cat hunting). And to help fight commissioner appointments when Polis appoints cat & wolf lovers.

Colorado resident hunters don't deserve NR money/support. Residents fought hard to push NRs aside --- and aside is where my support will remain.

That may still be true. Adjust for high deer/elk population and it isn't so clear.

Nonetheless, it was Colorado residents that led the fight to cut NR deer/elk tag allocations from 35% to 25%. And then almost immediately, those same Colorado residents turn around and BEG NRs for money to fight Prop 91/101 (cat hunting). And to help fight commissioner appointments when Polis appoints cat & wolf lovers.

Colorado resident hunters don't deserve NR money/support. Residents fought hard to push NRs aside --- and aside is where my support will remain.
So you’re done hunting Colorado? What state are you from?

Testify brah….NR $ talks.

35 to 25 is generous still. And it doesn't matter what I said as a resident. That's in the allocation. Less animals is less opportunity, for you, that's the bottom line. Stay away, if you are serious. More opportunity for me, a soon to be nonresident. Better yet, move. Everyone has a right to look out for themselves. You are just cutting off your foot to spite you face, in all reality.

How does a high game population change the fact that Colorado treats NRs much better than any other Western state?

No one is begging you for ****, but you do need to realize that this fight is much bigger than CO. These are the same organizations currently operating in other western states, and they won't stop with CO.

Bye, 20 other guys are already taking your place. Curios what state you live in and what other western states you hunt in that are more generous with their nonresident tag allocations.

... what other western states you hunt in that are more generous with their nonresident tag allocations.

I'm not saying that there are states more generous than Colorado. How all that is judged is very subjective and beside the point.

My point is that many Colorado resident hunters are fighting NRs on various issues and then asking for NR support at the same time. Residents are actively fighting today to close OTC elk hunting for NRs. And they successfully fought to decrease standard NR allocation from 35% to 25%. And then CO residents ask their NRs to stand with residents and fight Prop 91/101 and the pro cat/wolf commissioner appointments.

As to Tag Opportunity, CO residents say "we deserve more preference, NRs deserve less". As to wolf/cat issues, CO residents say, "we're on the same team with NRs, send money/support to Colorado or your state is next". That is a dysfunctional relationship.

I'm not saying that there are states more generous than Colorado. How all that is judged is very subjective and beside the point.

My point is that many Colorado resident hunters are fighting NRs on various issues and then asking for NR support at the same time. Residents are actively fighting today to close OTC elk hunting for NRs. And they successfully fought to decrease standard NR allocation from 35% to 25%. And then CO residents ask their NRs to stand with residents and fight Prop 91/101 and the pro cat/wolf commissioner appointments.

As to Tag Opportunity, CO residents say "we deserve more preference, NRs deserve less". As to wolf/cat issues, CO residents say, "we're on the same team with NRs, send money/support to Colorado or your state is next". That is a dysfunctional relationship.
What state do you live in? That way I can help you with the fight to maintain your rights as a hunter in your state when the fight gets to your doorstep. My guess is you live somewhere that only has whitetails, or caps NR hunters at 10%. Sorry about the "25%" allocations... I guarantee NRs will still be getting much more than that percentage with vouchers and second choice hunts.

I don’t disagree with your points, but there just arent enough elk for everyone here anymore. The take has to be limited and it will follow the same protocols all the other western states follow.

Here is an easier way to make your voice heard.
Agreed - for residents, this is the easiest way to contact your senator!

Colorado resident hunters don't deserve NR money/support. Residents fought hard to push NRs aside --- and aside is where my support will

OTC needs to go. Fact. There are too many hunters, and the resource is stressed. Fact. Less opportunity needs to start with nonresident opportunity. In my opinion, yes. Why shouldn't it? Anytime a wildlife department reduces tags, I'm glad. Those animals are overhunted. If there's less opportunity, but those resources are protected, what's the problem? Problem is greed.

It’s too bad some NR’s think Colorado’s wildlife commission won’t impact there state or there opportunity to hunt in Colorado.

Regardless of where the NR’s are from, they can still count on me to help fight and keep their opportunities to effectively manage their state wildlife and the opportunities to pursue it. Regardless if I ever hunt or fish in their state.

Last edited:
Facts about res/nonres license allocation for elk/deer/pronghorn from someone who served as one of 20 stakeholders on the Big Game License Allocation Project (BGLAP) for the Wildlife Commission when Director John Mumma was in charge of CDOW and Arnold Salazar was the Chairman of the Wildlife Commission.

Originally, there were no nonresident restrictions for elk/deer/pronghorn/bear. Period. When I was the COA Outfitter Rep to the Wildlife Commission in the mid 1990s and also served on the now-defunct United Sportsmans Council of Colorado, Bob Radocy of the Colorado Bowhunters Association (which I have been a member of from time to time) came to me with a compromise of 50/50, which I endorsed. This later turned into 60/40.

Later, it changed to 65/35. Then it changed to 65/35 and 80/20 for hunt codes requiring six or more preference points. Now it is 75/25 and 80/20 and the 80/20 is updated more often. All of these more recent changes were done without another BGLAP process where people form different perspectives had to sit down and hammer out agreements to a 20-0 consensus vote.

100% of our BGLAP 20-0 voted proposals were enacted almost unanimously by the Wildlife Commission because we had done the research and hard work of compromise for the Commission.

We also voted 20-0 on many other things such as our sheep/goat/moose draw system, the removal of deer hunting from 1st rifle season, the removal of cow hunting from most areas in 1st rifle season and several measures to reduce over-crowding.

Our recent CPW leadership has gone away from consensus building and are just going it alone or with hand-picked stakeholders that are yes-men and yes-women.

One huge example is our ridiculous CWD "Management" that is political (kill 'em all) and not scientific. I tried to get on the CWD stakeholder group and was denied. Our deer hunting and buck quality has been ruined by the tripling of licenses throughout Colorado in the name of CWD Management when the exact opposite is a better course of action.

There are two genotypes of deer with gene 225. One is 225S and the other is 225F. The 225S deer can get CWD more easily and die from it in three years. The 225F deer are much more resistant and if they do get CWD, they live SEVEN years! Dr. Hobbs at CSU did a long-term study in Livermore that showed out of 12 deer that got CWD during his study, only 1 of 12 was 225F. He also concluded that CWD would NOT lead to the extinction of deer, unlike the flawed "model" that CPW State Veterinarian, Mike Miller, pushed for a while. Dr. Hobbs also noted that the 225F deer were becoming more numerous as time went by because 225S deer were getting the disease easier and more often and die off.

In addition, the removal of mature bucks, only some of which are 225S bucks that are thought to get CWD during the rut from interacting with several groups of females while searching for estrus females, is the wrong thing to do. These older CWD positive 225S bucks are spreading the disease to 225S females and also getting the disease from 225S females in the first place. But by removing the mature bucks that MIGHT carry CWD and other mature bucks that are not carrying CWD, we are pushing CWD into the remaining younger bucks all the earlier in their life cycles when they start breeding more often because the older bucks are dead. This means more bucks get CWD at a younger age, which is not good.

If the CPW would quit trying to play God by increasing licenses and just let the 225S deer slowly die out through natural selection, the 225F deer will become the most plentiful genotype. In some areas that have had CWD for many years, the 225F deer populations are already at 50%, up from 10%! Captive deer breeders in TX and other states have already stopped breeding 225S white-tailed deer and their facilities are almost completely CWD-free. It will take longer in the wild but this is the solution, not humans killing more deer. CWD is now found in the soil, water and can even uptake in plants that deer eat. We are not going to stop it with more licenses where CWD is already fairly common. This increased harvest is actually making CWD prevalence last longer. People need to wake up and fight for our deer and deer hunting.

Thanks CWO for all of your hard work in the past and present! I agree 100% with your comments in regard to CWD. I hope you don't give up and continue to make a difference in Colorado. Our mule deer certainly need all the help they can get! I sent you a pm.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom