Colorado deer with 6 points help

LouieT

Trying to decide on what unit to apply for in Colorado this year for deer. We have 6 points-nonresident. We were thinking 22 second season, but hear lots of people saying that would be a tough hunt second season. Was also looking at 68,681,3,11,211. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Louie

The truth is that mule deer hunting is generally tougher around the third week of October no matter where you go. Some areas may have fewer deer than others during second season if they are migratory dependent so watch out for that. If you want to hunt this year and use your six points of course you will need to take what you can get. I would say pick the unit you are most familiar with and can spend the most time preseason scouting in.
Check the statistics pages and find the units that took around four to six points to draw last year and go for it.
May I ask How many of you are there and where are you coming from?

Caerus Oil Company has closed down a large chunk of land in 22 that used to be open to hunting. My opinion, they have closed down the best parts of the unit to hunt during that time of year. Something to take into consideration.

To add on to what Openingday stated about the Caerus land, the old Shell oil leaae is off limits too. So much of the beat areas are now totally off limits. 2nd season in many of your NW Colorado unit choices will be really tough to get anything much bigger than a 20-22 inch buck. I'd look for a 3rd season tag or hold out a few more years.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Pick any third season hunt and get away from people. Every unit in Colorado has good deer. Third is better than second, and is 9 days instead of 5-day 4th season. There is no reason to pick a "better" unit and a worse season unless tags are much more limited. No reason to wait longer to go hunt either, nonresident fees are going through the roof. Units that can be hunted on a low point or even leftover tag get weekend pressure but little midweek pressure. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom