Colorado Elk Hunt plus Pics....

kilowatt

Well this is a first for me to sit and write about a hunt but will give it a shot and see how it turns out.
I left home about 5:45AM to make the drive to his house which is about a 2 hour drive. Got there and unloaded my PU and put my gear etc. into his PU. Went in house to talk a bit before leaving and just as we were about to leave, the dreaded question came up. He asked me if I had my license/tag? A big blank expression came on my face and had to think, then checked wallet and clothes bag, NOTHING. So I called the wife and asked her to check my desk drawer, that is when she said it was still there.
DANG, now I would have to turn around and drive another 2 hours back to get the lic/tag and then another 2 hours back to Bobs.
Better then than later out in the middle of Utard or even worst in Colo.
Well we finally got on the road at just a little after NOON and went to Elko, NV and got there in time to have a late dinner at the STAR HOTEL, can't miss that place, food is too good.
On Sat. we left early and headed to Wendover and had breakfast and then on to Cabela's at Lehi, UT. Finally got out of there and "On the road Again". Got as far as Moab and spent the night there.
Next morning, Sunday Nov.12th we drove across into Colo and the whole area was covered in SNOW. Made it to our destination and got checked in and unloaded the vehicle. Made a call to "HornAddiction" and relaxed. Later that evening had a call on the phone saying he was with Colorado Fish & Game and they were trying to locate me as some changes had came up and ALL ELK HUNTS WERE CANCELLED for some reason I don't remember. Turns out it was "USA" of MM who was outside. Had him for awhile before he headed off to Pagosa Springs to meet up with another fella he was going to hunt with from someplace back east. We had a good laugh and wished each other good luck.
On Tuesday we met up with "HornAddiction" and he gave us a tour of the area and suggested a few places to try, he was tired up with his business and a young daughter in school.
Well on Wednesday, we got out to our first place to hunt after seeing Elk the previous day and yes they were there but about a 1,000 + yards further up the canyon and what a chore it would have been to go down over the rim into the bottom and back up the other side to get to within shooting range. Having listened to "H.A." and an earlier hunt and the aches he went through, 20 years our junior, we passed.
Saw a few hunters, not that many as we would have expected that first day. Tried another area and saw a lot of nice Bucks but no tags as usual but kept looking.
On Thursday we had 5 cows give us the slip in the heavy timber and later about 5 cows and a spike were spooted about another 1,000 to 1,200 yards away from a high knowl. My friend Bob dropped over the side and went after them but slid on his back down the steep hill in the snow. When he came to an opening he signed me and I gave him the dreaded sign, GONE down over the back side of hill they were on.
I went and got the truck and picked him up down the hill aways and we went to another area and saw for the first time ever in Colo. about 4 turkeys out in the sage & JP's.
Well on Friday we got up and went to get coffee and decide where to head for so I said let's go to this other place we were told about. So off we go and locate the road and started up it to get to the area.
As we were driving up to the place a lone Bull came out from one side of a draw and crossed the road about 150 yards ahead of us going into the thicket. Bob stopped and said he was going to climb up the hill there and for me to take the PU further up the road and come back.
Well he took off and I made the slow drive up the road and then heard a shot about 5 minutes later. I heard Bob yelling so I just parked the PU and went looking for him. Found him about 125 yards up the hill and waving his arms.
Turns out that as I was driving up the road the Bull had stopped and was looking back over his rump and watching me drive by and as he turned to go up higher into the thicker timber Bob aimed and shot off hand and nailed the Bull right through the neck, breaking the Bulls neck. He was about 100 yards from the Bull as it was quartering up the hill instead of going straight up the hill.
I took some pictures and the "high5's" and then took the rifle back to PU. Bob said let's try dragging it down hill aways before gutting maybe the FULL PONCH from filling his belly with water will help slide him down hill towards the road. So off we go dragging him, probably 550 lbs. and we did good till I slipped on a branch under some grass/leaves/snow and down I went also stabbing the tip of the right beam into my upper left shoulder area and falling on both knees. When I went to get up the hind leg of the Bull was laying across both of my legs and had me pinned to the ground. Finally got the damn leg off and got up. After a few choice words, we continued down about another 25-35 yards and called it quits. Time to gut this Bull and make it lighter.
Got the Bull gutted and the whole gut pile slide down right to the small area where we wanted to take the Bull to the road. So now plan B went into effect. Back to the PU for the Rope Come-a-Long and rope pulleys and extra rope to get the Bull to another spot where we figured we could get it close to the road bank.
So we done our "rigging" and was able to get it to where we could then get the PU and back it up close to the bank on the road and lowered that heavy sucker onto the tailgate and pulled and pushed till we had in inside except the head and rack wouldn't go, so left him like that and secured him to the inside rings with a rope.

Washed up and headed to Cortez to the meat locker and then Bob decided to find a Taxidermist and leave the head & cape to have a shoulder mount. He decided on a guy who was well recommended and so that is what we did on the 3rd day of the hunt when this Bull was taken. The Taxidermist said he isn't a scorer but figured that the Bull should go around 325-330 but later would have someone who does scoring check it out.

I did measure the right eye guard but with a large tape and it was 14" of the right and 13-1/2" on the left.
Here are the pictures I took, the first 3 were with a "disposal" camera and the others were with my other 35mm camera later.

Brian
rv2006a.jpg

rv2006b.jpg

Happyness is a GutPile
rv2006c.jpg

rv2006d.jpg

Later at the Taxidermists Shop
rv2006e.jpg

rv2006f.jpg

Here is a picture of the shop of the Taxidernist going to do the mount for Bob.
rv2006g.jpg

WAY TO GO Bob & kilo!!!

IS THAT YOU kilo STANDING WITH Bob BY THE TREE WITH THE BULL???

ELK STEAKS FOR SURE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat GLAD TOO SEE YOU GUYS GOT A LITTLE SHOOTING,DRAGGING,GUTTING & SOME BRAGGING RIGHTS TOO,A BIG THUMBS UP!!! :D :D :D :D

Hey Brian. Congrats to you and your buddy on a nice elk. Sounds like you had a good hunt.Thanks for posting and hope you had a good Thanksgiving also.

Happy trails
Ridge Runner
"Now Pilgrim,you sure you can skin grizz"

Bessy,
Yea, that is me on the left, the old man of the two. LOL

Gene,
Thanks for the thoughts and yes I will have some good steaks for once to eat along with the chops, burger and breakfast sausage. Might take some of the burger and use my "shooter" and make some jerky in the dehydrator.

Brian

Good to see those pictures.

Sounds like we took the same route and made the same stops as we did. What unit did you hunt? 68 for me.

Very good guys! I had to laugh about leaving your license and tag at home! I left my rifle at home once this year when hunting blacktails. LOL!(only 1/2 hour from home though).

That's a really good bull! That's a truck load of elk. Tell Bob good shot and congratulations.

Steve

Congratulations! Always great to have some luck in a new area. And very nice elk!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Nice story and pictures, Sounds like it was a fun hunt, Got to love a hunt like this one.

Great Story and pics. Way to be!!
Rut
Women love me!! Fish shudder at the mention of my name!!
It's not the quack but the flight of the wild duck that leads the flock to destiny!!
Quack Away!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-06 AT 10:49AM (MST)[p]Hey Brian, It was sure good to meet you guys and I look forward to seeing Bob's mount when its finished! Hope to see you and Bob again next year!!

Horn
www.trophiesonthewall.com

Thanks guys for the nice comments and it was a great hunt even if I didn't get anything, got some of the meat though. LOL

Just remembered something else, when we took the head and cape to the Taxidermist, I reminded Bob to get the "eye teeth" and so Richard (TAXI) said here let me do it with my handy little tool.
Went and got his solid hardwood piece about 5-6" long and 3/4" square tip and a small wooden mallet.
I helped him hold up the head and open the mouth and when he placed the wood piece against the tooth, it moved. This bulls eye teeth were loose and with a single rap on the tooth, the tooth came out except for a small part of root I guess but it came with hardly any effort. Richard thought the Bull might be around 7-8 years old but only a guess on his part without having it aged by F&G.

Thanks again for the comments.

Brian

Shame on you Brian. You went and ate at the Star without me???? Well I'm glad to see that you guys were successfull and got one of your tags filled. Next time it will be your turn. Thanks for posting your story on MM for all of us to read. Are you finished hunting for 2006? fatrooster.

Drew,
Yes I'm done for this year nothing else to go chase that would be legal. LOL

I was planning on getting their in Elko earlier but with me forgetting my license/tag at home it cost us 4 hours of travel time. We didn't get to Star's till about 9pm.

On the way home we stayed in Wendover and got up early and headed home and had breakfast in Winnemucca at the Griddle and then on to home.

Next time for sure want to get with you and a couple of others there for chow and talk.

Take care and talk with you soon.

Brian

Kuddos to you Brian and you buddy Bob!!!!

Sounds like a great adventure and a very nice bull! Glad you didn't get injured too bad by the antlers. If it makes you feel any better, my best hunting buddy shot a nice 5pt bull here in Oregon a couple years ago. As he was posing for pictures his elderly father lost his balance and fell on the rack. One of the antler points went through his thigh and the point ended up in his left testicle!!! It was quite the trip to the ER from the brush country.

Again congratulations!

Bullscat ~ Brett

PS. Hey I am going to go down to the SCI show in Reno at the end of January. Are you going by any chance???

These are the type of hunts that make this site what it is.
Congrats to the hunter!
Thanks for sharing it with us Kilo.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Good story and pictures! BTW, is the Star Hotel the Basque food place? I've often wondered about it while going to Stockmans. But, after your endorsement, I'll have to try it next year for sure.

Herb,
To say that it is good is an understatement, it is GREAT. Why would two friends and his two sons travel 525 miles for dinner and come back home the next day for another 525 mile trip just to have dinner. LOL

We did it two years in a row and another time drove to Eureka, NV for dinner too. But this was to just show the boys where we had hunted before and show them around the country.

Gets boring to sit around the house in winter with no hunting. Got to venture out once in awile.

Brian

Great story Brian....sounds like an adventure! Congrats to both of you guys on a successful hunt. Thanks for the pics....looks like the taxi's gonna be busy for awhile! :)

Big congrats Brian!! I'm glad you guys were successful and had a great hunt. Hopefully next time your the one pulling the trigger.

Shawn,
Thanks for the encouragement and will do my best. I saw where you got a heck of a nice Bull too in Utah wasn't it??
Congrats to you too.

Brian

KWH: Great pics and sounds like a great hunt......... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Hey Brian Congratulations on the hunt. Now get drawn for Wyoming next year and YOU'LL GET SOME SHOOTIN!!

Congrats to your buddy and you on a nice BULL and the story about the trip. Should look good on your buddies wall at home.

BB

brian,

i just found this thread. congratulations to Bob and you!

sounds like the hunt was "easy", but it always turns to real work after the elk hits the ground :)

Nice story and pics. Congrats. One thing I don't understand is why the taxidermist told you that bull would score 325+...I have lots of big elk antlers at home and that bull won't make 300.

It was a guess on his part I guess without actually putting a tape to it. Once my friend gets the mount back, then he will have it measured to see for sure what it scores.

Brian

>Nice story and pics. Congrats.
> One thing I don't
>understand is why the taxidermist
>told you that bull would
>score 325+...I have lots of
>big elk antlers at home
>and that bull won't make
>300.

That's why they don't let taxidermists be official measurers.

It's still a great bull for an unlimited CO unit....congratulations.

Those are great pics and an awesome story, Brian. I can almost smell the wet scrub oak and elk blood. I don't know why select people on this site have to bust everbody's balls about what their bull scores. The hunt makes the trophy no matter what anybody says. Good job guys.

RE: Colorado Elk problems.........

I AM BRINGING THIS BACK TO THE FRONT OF THE FORUM AS MY FRIEND still has not received or had a call FROM THIS TAXIDERMIST IN CORTEZ, COLORADO.

The last time he was able to talk with him, where he returned the call message, he promised the Bull would be finished by JUNE 2008. Still nothing and Bob is having a fit and is wondering how to handle this without going to jail for an "old fashion ASS WHOOPING" on the guy. Jeez, it has been 20 MONTHS NOW THAT HE HAS HAD THE HEAD THERE AT THE SHOP.

Would F&G get involved or would he have to go to Small Claims Court down there?? Any suggestions Fellas???

Brian

Had a similar situation with a big bull my dad took in Colorado a few years ago and took to a taxidermist (that is no longer in business) in Oak Creek, CO. If you are serious about getting some action I would call the local police department and file a theft report with them. Hopefully you guys have a receipt for the bull, and or receipts or documentation of any payments made to this jerk. If so, scan them, and or fax copies of them as well as pictures of the bull showing his rack to the local police department and maybe the Game & Fish office in the region. I'd call and report to both of them. Make a record with the authorities to make it easier in the event that you do take legal action. I'm thinking that if he gets a visit from a game and fish officer or the police dept that it will light a fire under this guy's @ss and you will at the very least know whether he still has the bull or not. The more documentation you have the better off you will be and the more likely you will be able to get some serious interest from law enforcement. We did this after not being able to get our bull back and we finally got the rack back after almost 2 years and no work had been done to it...soon after the guy packed up shop and left town. Would you pm me the name of the taxidermist?

I am having a similar problem with a taxidermist. He won't return the first half of a payment for a mount that he couldn't finish, thankfully I got the rack back at least. Trying to figure out how to make him pay.

Is he still in business? It may take a trip back to show in small claims court,if not it is theft

Yes, this guy is still in "business" but for how long it is anyone's guess.
Update: After a visit from the local Sheriff's and a few more calls, this Taxi returned a call and was not happy. Didn't like being turned into the Sheriff's Office, so the friends wife told him "return our calls and it would never have gotten this far out of hand".
He is suppose to have it done next week as he says "he has a few touch ups to do to finish it".

How and what it will look like we don't know. My friend might be making a non-stop drive down there to pick it up just waiting for the call back from the Taxi guy. Once this is done and my friend has his Bull back then I will post who this guy is so no one else gets any ideas to go to him, a total jerk.

Brian

it sounds like that mount might be a good one for that scary mounts post a few months back. hope everything turns out all right.

I don't have a huge amount of experience.

My taxi does eventually get things done, but to say that things are a little un-smooth is an understatment. The end work is fine, it is just there are many bends in the road.

Expect things to take longer and don't be surprised to get surprised.

It might help some to go to the most expensive taxidermist you can find, but my isn't inexpensive, and still it is an adventure.

Could it be that it just comes with the job?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom