Colorado Elk possibilities

natanddaveg

I will be looking for an elk hunt this fall along w/4 other members of my family. We each have 16 pts going into the application process. Not quite enough to draw the premiere units, but more than enough, I believe to go into some other good areas. I have focused my research on some muzzleloader hunts, looking at units 12,23,24, and 33. Is this a good option or are there other areas I might want to look at? I know 40 and 61 are desireable but probably unrealistic. From what I've read, 40 has way too much private land and public access is troublesome at best. I don't think we could do any better than a second rifle for 61, which really sucks! Does anyone have knowledge of the elk herd in those muzzleloader units I mentioned or have I been "misguided"? We are all NR's so we can't do that much scouting, being from Nv and Mn makes it kinda tough.
My dad and uncle are both getting up there in age and their mobility sometimes comes into question. I believe this Colorado hunt will probably be my dad's last hunt out west due to the fact he just can't get up and down the mtns like before. To me, who has hunted w/his dad for many years, this reality is kind of sad. But unfortunately this is the reality we all will and have to come to grips with.
I am not trying to find someone's secret hunting area or "honey hole", I'm just trying to find a good spot to go hunt elk w/my family and have a good time. Any info or insight to my situation would be greatly appreciated.

I have never understood the high points needed for 12/23/24. OTC units in later seasons, so not a trophy area. And 33 has not fantastic success ratio.

Unit 61, second rifle had a 58% success rate last year for bulls and there are some whoppers there. And some decent country for older guys to hunt. Might want to take a second look there.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Put dad in this year your uncle next then the rest of you hunt the next two years. You go last if possible.
It is foolish to all 4 have tags the same year. # one bull dies in a hole next day is shot packing meat... In four years you could really learn a good unit well.. and kill 4 bulls. Killing and taking care of 4 bulls the same season with two old guys is a tough go. You could have 4 great road trip western hunts with your dad and uncle I bet they would make top notch camp keepers and glass and scout... visit with other hunters...Just me but four Colorado hunts are better then one. Think about it.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-18-16 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]2nd rifle in 61 would blow away anything in 12,23,24, and 33. And it would be easier hunting terrain than those units. I say this as someone who lives 40 miles from 61 and has hunted 2nd season 2 years ago in 61. It would be a foolish waste of points to go to the flattops and attempt to harvest a raghorn with that many points.

Tomichi is quite correct in saying you don't want four tags all at once. You should let the elders hunt and help them out when they are successful.

76 if you can't draw 61.

Not sure I would say it was foolish, but I would certainly consider splitting it up. Everyone can still go, but you get to enjoy it over several years. And I would choose to hunt the second year. Go with maybe 3 guys this year, and then 2 next year. But this coming from a guy who goes elk hunting every year anyway. If you think you can only get this group of guys together for one year, then go and have a blast.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

61 would be great for him but he is several years away from drawing. It will take 18 points this year to draw 2nd,3rd or 4th rifle.

I also agree with the other guys and would try and break up the hunts over 2 years. It would be hard to find , kill and pack out 5 bulls in one hunt.

Pretty sad that we're talking about 16 points and you don't have access to the premium units. :(

If you do pull the trigger, I agree that you should break up your tags over a couple of years. You might as well enjoy your hunts as long as you can.

I had a buddy hunt unit 76 last fall. They had four tags and killed 1 bull. Said they saw huge herds up high but couldn't get up to them due to old age and bodies. :) They needed snow to drive the elk down and never got it.

16 won't be enough for anything in 61 this year and it will probably take you another 6 to 7 years for even second rifle. I would look into 76 with that many points if I were you. I have never been to the unit but I have heard it can be physically demanding so mabye some of your party might have difficulty getting around. If you could find access to horses you would probably do well.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom