Colorado GMU 501 for elk

M

megalomaniac

I've got a friend who owns 500 acres in the southern portion of unit 501, a couple miles west of Tarryall reservoir. He could care less about hunting (although he is not an anti), but keeps telling me stories about how his rancher neighbor is having trouble keeping all the elk out of his hayfields...

I told him I could easily fix that problem with a landowner tag or two :)...

I'm having trouble finding any info about the elk herd there... Colorado seems to really have a low limit on tags in that area, with a draw for ML, and all 4 rifle season tags. That would lead me to believe the population is somewhat low, but my friend states there are 4500-6000 elk in the area, with around 300 using his property year round.

Demand for the tags seems pretty low as well, with most hunts only requiring 0,1 or 2 pts in the draw.

I'm currently building points in Colorado and hunting yearly with OTC archery elk tags and having a blast doing so, but I'm curious about this area. If I outright ask him, he'll acquire landowner tags for me, but I don't want to ask that of him if its a poor/mediocre hunt. What kind of bulls can one expect there? Large elk herd in the south portion of the county (around 9000-9800 ft elevation)? Better to wait until later in the season to catch them on his private land?

I'm not sure any of you guys have hunted there, as demand seems very low, but I would very much appreciate any advice regarding whether to forego next years archery tag for a ML or rifle tag in this unit...

Thanks for your consideration!

mntmn,
I have been wondering about units 50, 500 I have sons with points enough to get about any elk tag in those areas. Any info you might care to share would be appreciated.

Both units are tough for elk. I believe the post hunt estimates have the population in 50, 500 and 501 to be about 1200 animals and more than half of those animals reside in 500. There can be elk anywhere in 501, its big country. The Hayman burn area has been getting productive over the years and the Lost Creek Wilderness near Tarryall Reservoir can be fair. Most of the elk harvest in this unit comes from the Smith Creek drainage in the northern end of the unit and that is a hike and a half. There is a small resident her of elk in 50 but they move around a lot and you really have to walk a lot and get lucky to run into any descent numbers. I would do the Hayman burn first and go from there. The burn area is straight up and down and horses may be a good idea. On the plus side there are several bulls in the 300 to 320 class taken every year in 501. Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys!

Looks like for elk, I'd be better off continuing to save my bull tag for OTC archery. I might hit my friend up for a cow tag one year just to go out there and check it out for myself.

OR, maybe I could get him to pull a unit 50 antelope tag. According to DOW, it looks like it takes 8 pts to get one of those in that unit, so there may just be a few good bucks around!

I've seen five bulls killed in this area over seven years. two were around 270 about 325 and a 345 bull. You must look hard and a spotting scope comes in real handy. I'd say 500 acers isn't enough land for this area.

Most of my hunting has been north of Cheesman res. so I can't speak specific's about the southern part. 501 is a hugh area to hunt.

sjhgraysage,

I agree with the previous posts, it is possible to get a good respectable bull out of the lost creek wilderness, rough country and no one wants to hike in there so the bulls get a chance to get a little older but you won't be seeing lots of elk. The one previous post talks about the Hayman burn, I wouldn't personally hunt it for elk unless it was 4th season and there was lots of snow in the high country. cause if there are any elk on the edge of the wilderness they will quickly be into the wilderness (not much cover in/around the burn) come 30 minutes into the season.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I've got a friend who owns 500 acres in the southern portion of unit 501, a couple miles west of Tarryall reservoir. He could care less about hunting (although he is not an anti), but keeps telling me stories about how his rancher neighbor is having trouble keeping all the elk out of his hayfields...

I told him I could easily fix that problem with a landowner tag or two :)...

I'm having trouble finding any info about the elk herd there... Colorado seems to really have a low limit on tags in that area, with a draw for ML, and all 4 rifle season tags. That would lead me to believe the population is somewhat low, but my friend states there are 4500-6000 elk in the area, with around 300 using his property year round.

Demand for the tags seems pretty low as well, with most hunts only requiring 0,1 or 2 pts in the draw.

I'm currently building points in Colorado and hunting yearly with OTC archery elk tags and having a blast doing so, but I'm curious about this area. If I outright ask him, he'll acquire landowner tags for me, but I don't want to ask that of him if its a poor/mediocre hunt. What kind of bulls can one expect there? Large elk herd in the south portion of the county (around 9000-9800 ft elevation)? Better to wait until later in the season to catch them on his private land?

I'm not sure any of you guys have hunted there, as demand seems very low, but I would very much appreciate any advice regarding whether to forego next years archery tag for a ML or rifle tag in this unit...

Thanks for your consideration!
Where is the smith creek drainage in 501? I can’t find it on any map

Both units are tough for elk. I believe the post hunt estimates have the population in 50, 500 and 501 to be about 1200 animals and more than half of those animals reside in 500. There can be elk anywhere in 501, its big country. The Hayman burn area has been getting productive over the years and the Lost Creek Wilderness near Tarryall Reservoir can be fair. Most of the elk harvest in this unit comes from the Smith Creek drainage in the northern end of the unit and that is a hike and a half. There is a small resident her of elk in 50 but they move around a lot and you really have to walk a lot and get lucky to run into any descent numbers. I would do the Hayman burn first and go from there. The burn area is straight up and down and horses may be a good idea. On the plus side there are several bulls in the 300 to 320 class taken every year in 501. Good luck.
Where is the smith creek drainage? I cannot find it on any map. My son has a bull tag for 501.

True, its old but the tone of responses sure have changed. I guess in times of plenty things are different.

I think we are kidding ourselves if we think it’s a good idea to give out unit specific information on open forums anymore. So much damage has been done already, best to try and throw a tourniquet on and stop some of the bleeding. Plus it feels really good to figure things out on your own, like where a drainage is for a named creek!

Lol I have a cabin in deckers hunt off stony pass or any of the burn u will find elk.. east side of 126 is great late season..

I have a unit 501 3rd season rifle tag for 2023 for bull elk. been up scouting. haven't seen a darn thing, thought i heard a midday bugle a week ago but that's it. I can find smith creek on the map but it's in Unit 46 on the north side of highway 285. any help would be appreciated. happy to email or talk on the phone if no one wants to post info on this forum. Thanks in advance.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom