Colorado Goat tag!

S

scree

Now that the fact that I drew a Colorado G-12 Maroon Bells Mtn Goat tag has set in, it is time to go to work.
I have never had the opportunity to hunt goats before so any information on judging, habits and the like would greatly appreciated as would any information on the unit. Only 96 days to get ready to hunt an animal that has topped my list for years!

Thanks,
Andy

Congratulations Andy!

I know how you feel. I drew a Colorado G16 Goat tag this year and know just how you feel.

Good luck on your hunt.

Lucky sons a.....:D I'm a resident with a dozen weighted hopein I draw while I can still chase em! Good luck men! Can't wait to see yer pics this fall!

I'll keep my eyes open for you on my high country muzzy hunt. I always see a few on the east face of Mt Daily.

Congrats!
Have a great hunt both you guys!
I hope I draw in Washington before I'm to old to attempt the hunt :D

Thanks deerlove you never know when or where some ole billy is going to show himself.
And good luck to everyone on the remaining draws and this falls hunts.

You should try to attend the Sheep & Goat Seminar that the Game Department puts on in Denver on Saturday, June 27th. It is fun and you will learn a lot.

Yes, it is limited to 2015 tag holders (by invitation only) and their guests, limited to one guest per invited hunter. I'll send you a PM (in case you might want to attend as a guest).

>You should try to attend the
>Sheep & Goat Seminar that
>the Game Department puts on
>in Denver on Saturday, June
>27th. It is fun
>and you will learn a
>lot.

I wish I could. I did not find out about it until a few days ago. I have to work and it is a bit of a haul form Washington.

Scree,

I was trying to go to the Sheep & Goat Seminar too, but I am not going to be able to make it happen.

Good luck on your hunt!

Goats are such an awesome trophy animal! You guys are going to have a blast!
Congratulations on drawing coveted tags!
Zeke

Thanks song dog!
Man I can't wait! My hunting partner just confirmed tha he can go with me!
Turk I feel a great fall coming on for us:)

I'm no expert but I went on my first goat hunt 10 years ago and the tag holder is a very very very seasoned big game hunter. However, he had never hunted goats before and despite his excellent research he ended up shooting a 10" nanie with his muzzleloader. She feel off a rock and broke both sides. We found all the peices but when he got to her he lifted up her leg and identified her sex. He was visibly disappointed.

I also had another friend who bought an auction tag and shot a 10" nanie with his bow. He didn't know he was shooting a nanie.

What I learned from all this is that the biggest distinction between a billy and a nanie is that the billies will have that black glad on the bass of his horn. If you don't see that gland it's most likely a nanie.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-15 AT 03:21PM (MST)[p]DO NOT GO OFF THE BLACK GLAND BEHIND THE HORNS!!!
This is my 9 5/8" nanny with huge black glands behind her horns.

6181image.jpg

582image.jpg

Thanks for the heads up.
I am getting the chance to go to AK to work on a Dall sheep hunt before I head to CO so I will have the opportunity to pick the brains of guides that have a lot of goat experience and hopefully have the opportunity to see some for a bit of practice.
I truly appreciate everyone's advice hopefully I can take it all in and make good use of it

Marely thats a tough one... consistent curve and glands...not as massive as most mature billies but that one would be an easy mistake to make....nice goat nonetheless....

Goat country can kill you...pretty sure the Maroon bells unit is where the goat hunter fell to his death last year packing a goat out....but the danger is part of it....

The only reason a goats are not NA's top trophy is they don't have 40 inches of curling horn and the good looks of a stud ram....but those that have been where those cranky old ogres sulk about know better

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom