Colorado High Country Research

DirtyTough

Hi all. I am planning on doing a early rifle deer hunt in CO. I have a few questions.

All these units have the early hunt. I went through and figured out how many points it would take to guarantee a tag in 2007 so that is what the other numbers are for.

Unit 6 and 7 -1
Unit 12,24,25,26,231 -7
Unit 14,16,161 -2
Unit 36 -3
Unit 43 -9
Unit 44,45,444 -4
Unit 47 -2
Unit 74 -7
Unit 82,86,861 -10
Unit 471 -2

I have done a lot of backpacking and backpack hunting so the physical part is not a problem. I tried to do as much research on the net as possible on these units since I don't live in CO. I only have 1 point so far.

My plan was to archery hunt 43 until I could get drawn for the rifle tag. But then I was thinking I could probably do just as well if I hunted some of the lower point units 3 times in the time it takes me to draw 43.

I also would like my dad to go on a high hunt in CO and he is getting up there in age so he would not be able to ever hunt any of the higher point units.

I am basically just asking if all of these units hold good bucks, or if in some units you would have almost no chance of a 180 plus buck? Like I said I am in great shape so it does not matter how far or how steep.

I like glassing from a high point all day so if the unit is mostly trees I would rather not hunt that type of place.

If some of you guys could point me in the right direction whether I should keep building points or if I should look at a lower point unit, that would be appreciated.

Sorry it was so long, I just tried to get all the info out there. Thanks a lot, Branden

Every unit in CO has the potiental to hold 180" bucks. I have seen a couple 200" deer in a 1 PP rifle unit(0 PP archery unit).

Wilderness Athlete Performance Nutrition
"Because the most important piece of equipment you own... is you!"
http://www.wildernessathlete.org/

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-08 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]None of the hunts have large numbers of bucks. Small pockets of bachelor groups. Most basins will be empty. Even less than that will hold a 180+ buck. Lots of looking to find those with good bucks.

I would take a serious look at Holy Cross Wilderness. Not too many more years to wait, and there are some biguns there. It would be easy to pack in 8-10 miles which weeds out 99% of competition.

Another option: Look at muzzleloading the units. Many of them can be drawn with 0 points. Or have your dad draw a muzzy tag and you bowhunt/scout and collect points while he muzzy hunts.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have hunted HCB in 47 twice, 471 twice and 43 once. 43 has the best quality with low quantity, 47 has the most hikers, 471 has the best quantity with low quality. I have never hunted it but they take some absolute hogs out of 74 each year, thats currently what I am building points for. Good luck.

I live in ft collins near areas 6 & 7 and a friend always hunts that early high country hunt. He always kills bucks but only one that was truly big and it was a bruiser. Gary

I've bowhunted muleys in 45 and seen some great bucks. I'm not sure how the snows will affect the muleys this year though.
-Raptor

Unit 43 is a High country archery Buck hunt for sure, good for Elk, too hot and dry for Bucks down low. Maroon Bells Wilderness Area takes 7 pts for early rifle, but one could get a Archery tag easily.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom