Colorado Hunters Pleez Hellp A Local Out

M

mtnmayhem

I live in a front range unit.
I hunt this unit every year.
This unit gets hit hard every year.
There are trophy elk and deer on public land.
I know the topography like the back of my hand.
I have scouted all summer and found some of these trophies.

Ok, so I put in the work every year but still I have settled for mediocre animals. They disappear when the second season rolls around. What advice do the Colorado hunters have for me to get an above average deer or elk? I have some favorite spots - in the wilderness area and in national forest- but I can't seem to step it up.

Try changing seasons. Take up archery or muzzy hunting. IMO, the second season is the hardest time to hunt. The elk are post rut and are underground trying to build back from the rut, and the deer are pre rut, hanging out in the black timber. You either need to hunt earlier in sep, or later in nov. Might be too late for this year, but it might give you something to think about for next year. Good luck.

You'll have to accept the fact that you may not fill your tag, first of all. Then you hunt until you find those animals that disappeared. You'll find them in places you, and everyone else, least expect to find them. It might not look anything like where you've been watching them before hunting season.

Muzzy hunt for a cow or bowhunt to learn the elk in that season, then when you draw a bull muzzy tag, you got them pegged.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Changing seasons is definitely something that I have been thinking about. I was trying to stay consistent year in and year out so that I could become familiar with the animals behavior and whereabouts during the second season but I agree, it is a very hard time to hunt. Thanks for the advice.

You cant kill a big one if you shoot mediocre ones. You never said how many bucks or bulls you passed up annually before taking a medicore one. I have never passed up a bull on purpose. Deer on the other hand I can pass up 26" type bucks and it doesnt bother me and it has paid off. It isnt easy to trophy hunt and like already was mentioned you might as well plan on going home empty handed more often than not. Gary

Mayhem,

Keep on trucking brother and never give up! NickJ was right on the money when he said you have to be willing to go a season, or more, without possibly filling your tag. This strategy has worked for me and I find that I have more big bull and big buck encounters if I assume that I am not going to be harvesting anything. Nothing beats the feel of being in the mountains surrounded by trophy animals!

Colo_archer

Another option would be to consider changing or rotating areas. Many of the Colorado areas are managed for trophy quality, but you may not be able to hunt them every year. Most areas are managed for opportunity. I'd hunt your area when I can't get a quality license, but save a few points and go to a different area that has emphasis on quality when you can. And I agree about the September or November recommendation.

The places where I hunt are pretty high in elevation 9000-11000 ft. If I go to third season do I chance most of the deer and elk having already moved lower. I know whether affects this but generally speaking, where are the animals at this time?

If I change seasons to say the 3rd season, at which elevation should I expect the deer and elk to be at? I know that weather affects this but on average in CO, will there still be a lot of animals between 9000ft and 11000ft? I like to get off the roads into the wilderness area and any lower than this in my unit and I will either be on private property or within 100 yards of a road. Will there still be bigger bucks and bulls up high in November?

I may have posted this question twice, I was having connection problems earlier.

Great question, unfortunately it completely depends on where your hunting...Personally, in late Oct early Nov being at 9-11,000 ft might be a mistake.

Colo_Archer

This is sort of the reason that I have been hunting second season. After scouting the last couple seasons I noticed that there was not a lot of sign in the high country. If there are any big October snows then I almost never see any deer - occasionally elk - but most are lower and by then I am screwed b/c 90% of land is private property.

Mayhem,

I hear ya! This is why, about six years ago I switched my 7mm for a compound, so I could hunt the front range public land earlier, while still finding quality bulls and muleys!

Archery season has been GREAT, both with seeing animals and actually being able to harvest them! You are right, the front range is loaded with good animals, you just gotta know where to go!

Colo_archer

where i hunt during second season the deer are already out of their especially when we get a decent snow storm during this season. they are already moving out. go in there during archery and you will see a lot more quality animals. november is out for deer at that elevation but might produce a good bull. just my thoughts. if you have the second season tags this year go into the area during archery and check it out for next year. just my thoughts.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom