Colorado Hunting Help

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
OK, I'm new to the site and have almost no knowledge of hunting in Colorado, but I have hunted Wyoming a few times for mulies and antelope. Any help will be appreciated. I'm mainly interested in mule deer.

1) As an out-of-state resident, how often can I expect to be drawn for mule deer? I know it may vary by region, but I see posts referencing 15 points, does that mean 15 years? I'm not willing to wait that long!

2) I'm more interested in getting a tag and a chance at a decent buck rather than the biggest mulie/toughest draw in Colorado. So, what regions are recommended?

3) Is the tag good for any of the seasons? Or is it specific to the first, second, etc...?

4) I would also be interested in an elk tag. I've heard they are draw, and over the counter. Which is it? Or both? Does it depend on region? Again, I'm more interested in drawing a tag with a decent chance at an elk rather than the best area/biggest elk in Colorado.

Again, any help will be appreciated.

Hey Joe, go to the Co. web site and look it over, lots of info. There are multiple seasons and you have to choose a season and apply. Some zones can be drawn right away with no points, so have at it. There are more options than I can list.

That is sorta a hard Q. The warmer weather areas are often dif than that ones to hunt later in the year, after they migrate. I sorta like the Craig area, on the 3rd or 4th hunts, which are easy to draw. Pray for snow. If it has snowed, you'll see critters. This year, 2nd season deer was good, but the snow melted and 3rd season elk stank as the elk went back up, until it snowed again.

But, you can draw several areas w/no points and you can hunt over the counter for bulls. But, those areas are not the greatest.

Personally, I gather my points until I have 2-5, and put in for a somewhat decent area, that I can draw as my 2nd choice (which doesn;t cost you any points).

But, your Q really can't be answered here. Keep reading and watching. It may take you blowing a year of coming out to hunt and feel your way around.

If you can come out fishing and camping in the summer you'll learn a bunch.

#1 Yep, one point per year, that you don't get drawn for your first choice. You can get drawn for your 2nd choice and still earn a point,

#2 Craig, or NW CO. But, I've only been here for 8 seasons, and don't know my way around that much.

#3 Tags are season specific, unless it is an unfilled youth elk tag, which can be used later in the year.

#4 They are both. A Limited License is available by draw, or as a left over only. These will take points to draw...if it is in a good unit. There are some limited licenses for 1st or 4th seasons (which are usually elk only, 2nd and 3rd seasons are often called the combined seasons) in OTC units. An Over The Counter (OTC) or unlimited license (bulls only) is available for certain units (they are managed for the DOW to make money, IMO). But, there are honey-holes in every OTC unit. In those units, shoot the first legal bull that you see!!! In most units you can also get a cow license. OTC tags are good in any OTC unit.

If you can't scout it out before hand...Buy a cow license and scout as you go (after doing the best long-distance research possible). The DOW posts the draw and hunt success rates and # of pts needed on their website. (I think) If not they make a booklet that has it in it...or also in their mag...I think it is called CO Outdoors (it is advertized on their website, I'm a thinking).

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom