Colorado hybrid question

adamwipp07

Any ever drew a non resident hybrid take or know some who has. Ive talked to few people who think they have a chance of drawing one as non res, but I've never heard of any being successful!

No never heard of a nonresident drawing a hybrid tag. Would be a realllly long shot. Let's look at what would be required:

Must have at least 5 preference points

Must be in a unit that requires over 10 points since 2009 (List of hybrid tag units are listed on page 5 of the Big Game brochure)

Must have at least 20 tags available for that particular hunt for a non-res to even be in the running for a tag. Hybrid tags are 20% of total tags. 20% of 20 tags would be 5 tags. Since nonresidents are limited to 20% of the tags in units requiring over 6 points, there has to be at least 5 hybrid tags available for there to be 1 (20% of 5) available for nonresidents

However, even if there are 5 hybrid tags, this would not guarantee that 1 would go to a non-res. This is not a quota, but a limit. So a nonresident COULD be one of the 5 drawn, but if the first 5 names pulled on the hybrid are residents, they get all 5.

So if they are really just trying to build points, go for it, but don't hold your breath.

I will never have 5 points again for any species, so I will never have a shot!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks for the response. Ive talked to dow several times and they didn't really seem to know much about the hybrid draw. One dow worker told me that any unit that toke 10 points or more I had a chance to draw . You should send in your explanation to dow and have them print it in regs. Book.

Thanks again,think I finally have it figured out.

Great link. It would seem to indicate that the 20% quota applies to total number of tags:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Hunting/BigGame/HybridDraw/HybridDrawFAQ.pdf

So, if there were 20 tags in the overall drawing, nonresidents would be capped at 4 tags total. They could reach this at any time during the draw OR may never reach it.

That actually might increase the odds for nonresidents. Lets say that residents get all of the non-hybrid tags (tags strictly on a highest pref point basis). That would still leave 4 nonresident tags available for the hybrid drawing.

Or, nonresidents could draw all four of their tags in the primary drawing and there would be none left for them in the hybrid.

Simply complicated!

txhunter58

>Or, nonresidents could draw all four
>of their tags in the
>primary drawing and there would
>be none left for them
>in the hybrid.

This is the "straw that breaks the camels back" of the drawing odds as to why it is statistically impossible for a non-resident to draw in the hybrid drawing.

The allotted non resident tags are ALWAYS taken by top tier points holders, re: point creep, the only way for a non-resident tag to make it into the hybrid pool is for there to be less applicants than allotted non-resident tags...doesn't happen in any unit with a hybrid draw in the first place!

Probably accurate as there are probably more nonresidents hoarding points than residents. If so, then you are correct, and there would be no allocation left for the hybrid drawing.

txhunter58

Yeah, the simple answer is that you won't draw a DEER or ELK tag as a NR in the hybrid draw. My son & I realized that a couple of years back, and stopped wasting our 1st choice picks on tags we have zero chance to draw.

For Pronghorn though, a NR could get a tag in the hybrid draw, since there's no NR ceiling on tag allocations. However resident applicants outnumber non-residents in the Pronghorn draw by more than 8 to 1, so that's probably not happening very often.

How could there be no max quota for NR antelope tags?

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-13 AT 03:51PM (MST)[p]Yeah there never was a NR ceiling on limited Pronghorn tags. I assume it's due to the extremely low NR demand. This year NR accounted for only about 400 of the 12,000 limited pronghorn tags that were sold (youth excluded). And of course the bulk of archery Pronghorn tags are available OTC.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom